Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2021, 16:18   #76
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'
Re: Cleaning grimy shore power cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Many marinas have a formal or informal place where boaters put stuff they don't want and other boaters can take it for themselves.
All of the ones I’ve been to do. I picked up a lamp… It is made of rustic painted metal in the detailed shape of a Palm tree with a monkey wearing a hat sitting at the base playing symbols… It was the weirdest cool thing I’d ever seen… Who’d buy something that crazy? It lives in my boats stateroom bath now. I smile every time I wash my hands.
I also have a second hand consignment boat parts store down the street. That’s where I get rid of the stuff just adding weight and getting in the way.
The point of this thread is you don’t need to add to the landfills if you want to replace something that still has value.
I’ve tried cleaning cord before and it’s not worth my time. Most cords lay on the dock side by side with your water supply hose. If you’re thinking about how bad it looks instead of sleeping you have a choice. I choose to consign the old and replace with new.
My boat was set up with big heavy twin 50 amp cords and while hoping from Marina to Marina the biggest PIA was those big heavy cords and adapters to hook up to 30 Amp service… Consistently. So when they got ugly after handling them for years I dumped them for light weight 30 Amp cords. I could not believe how cheap they were and how easy they are to handle.
Old 18-09-2021, 18:59   #77

Boat: C&C 44
Re: Cleaning grimy shore power cable

Marine Strip is the right answer based on my experience. Available at Boat Owners Warehouse in Florida or directly from the manufacturer in one of those down south states. I can't remember, Alabama or Mississippi. Works well with a WHITE cloth and a green 3M scouring pad. It will take a little time but the results are immediate and the power cord is left with a smooth untacky finish. A rubdown, afterwords, with a UV protectant like Armor-All or 303 is a good idea. I like covering the cord with something to sheath over the finish but the approach I outline will keep the cord from marking the gel coat as you run it over the deck. Good luck, it's a morning's work for a 50 ft cable, 1 coffee, and 2 beer.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, shore power