Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 16:44   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Battery Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

So far no one has fessed up here as to what they are using.
I have Victron BMS-600S

I like the evil false battery prophet just fine as I understand the deal with the devil I made.
Old 28-08-2014, 16:53   #32

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
They have them on ebay starting at around 30. Paid 50 for mine to get the 500 amp model. Just ordered a 1500/3000 watt inverter so that should give me plenty of leeway. Just installed it so I'll have to let you know how it works. right now its reading exactly cuz I calibrated it
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 17:00   #33

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140828_195908.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	87284

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140828_195935.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	87285

Dis is some good ****. sailorboy1 I feel it racing through my veins
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 17:41   #34

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Blue Sea VSM-422. We live entirely off solar (475 watts) and are never connected to anything else. Typically I do not pay attention to the monitor, as I'm usually more than topped off, but when the rainy days come (like these past few days), I suddenly have to start paying attention to where my batteries are and my monitor... I could only watch one episode of Dexter tonight

I love the VSM because it shows all electrical data, bilge pump count (with alarm) and the holding tank's level. I think I will go with a Smart Gauge for its accuracy on the next boat, but I'll have to figure some other alarm system for bilge and tanks.

Matt
Old 28-08-2014, 18:09   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
What meter did you install. I have been looking for one...

I installed a Victron BMV600. Reads voltage on the house bank and start bank, tracks total amps in or out, instantaneous amps and of course state of charge. The SOC might be reasonably close if you program the monitor, set the Peukert and synch it regularly.

But you can just use it for amp counter and voltage meter if you're so inclined. I checked mine with two Fluke meters. Not calibrated but the all three agreed within +/- 0.02V
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 18:45   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Attachment 87284

Attachment 87285

Dis is some good ****. sailorboy1 I feel it racing through my veins
Thanks guys - I was non-specific but thinking more along the lines of the meter that Sailorboy posted in the lower photo.

Sailorboy - My understanding reading up on these is they don't read negative amps.

I do have a BMV coming but if I could have found a +/- 50 amp meter (recording meter would be nice) at a lower price I would not have bought the BMV.

I've done a lot of googling for a +/-50amp recording meter and have found nothing at a price point that makes sense - weird...

<sigh>
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 18:49   #37

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I've heard of Navtex but thought it was a European phenomenon however google informs me you can get Navtex transmissions in the US as well.

So, how do you like it?
in the usa we rely on vhf or tv weather reports, but in the bahamas we cant get that. I installed navtex for the noaa offshore forecasts and have been pretty happy with the results.

Otoh, we've found that, if you just go on 16 and ask for a weather report you will usually get one or more replies, mostly from those big boats loaded with electronics and, of course, battery monitors!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 19:32   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I have a Xantrex Link 10 but will probably add a Smartgauge in the future for state of charge accuracy.

I have had the Link for about 4 years or so. The Victron BMV-600 has been the value recently in a quality monitor. It has just been replaced by the 700 at a comparable price.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 20:19   #39

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I have a MasterShunt 500, which I am not happy with at all, and a SmartGauge which I am very very happy with.

That being said, the MasterShunt does read positive and negative amps well.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:00   #40
CLOD

you guys are getting all technical

the thread is about you were happier without a BM, in other words is ignorance bliss?
Old 29-08-2014, 05:53   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
you guys are getting all technical

the thread is about you were happier without a BM, in other words is ignorance bliss?
My customers who have live in ignorant bliss get about two years from batteries. Not all are electrically savvy, as some are here. Many of them have even ponied up for AGM's after being told they were the "best" then had a HUGE hole where their wallet used to be and they dies in the same or usually a shorter time frame....

I have not had a single customer install a battery monitor and not be happy. In ever case they have extended battery life often times by double and in some cases 3X. This I can only assume is because of the awareness that simply was not there before, not because Ah counters are pin-point accurate...

Keep in mind that approx 80% of my customers reside on moorings, not at docks. Once the BM's have been installed many opted to go for solar once they realized the alt was never getting them back to 100% SOC....

The absolute accuracy of the BM is not what I find people benefit from, it is the awareness and understanding of how the system is charging and discharging which they can now see....

Still BM's are not perfect and NEED proper calibration and a manual synch as often as possible, when known full, to remain as accurate as possible...
Old 29-08-2014, 06:06   #42

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Victron BMS-602S
Old 29-08-2014, 06:06   #43
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
My customers who have live in ignorant bliss get about two years from batteries.
That's not ignorant bliss, that's just ignorance
Old 29-08-2014, 06:33   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thanks guys - I was non-specific but thinking more along the lines of the meter that Sailorboy posted in the lower photo.

Sailorboy - My understanding reading up on these is they don't read negative amps.

I do have a BMV coming but if I could have found a +/- 50 amp meter (recording meter would be nice) at a lower price I would not have bought the BMV.

I've done a lot of googling for a +/-50amp recording meter and have found nothing at a price point that makes sense - weird...

<sigh>
Hi Ex-C

If you are referring to Sailorboy1's Victron BMV600 (or 602 that will also monitor voltage only on a second bank) it will read amps in or out of the battery so + or - amps.

It will also show total amp hours used and/or total amp hours back to the battery BUT NOTE, the amps going back to the battery are not necessarily the same as how much charge is back into the battery. This can be approximated by proper programming of the battery parameters in the meter and regular synching of the SOC.

I will look at the SOC but consider that just a ball park estimate and use the monitor mainly to watch voltage, instantaneous amps in/out and amp hours used.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 06:36   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That's not ignorant bliss, that's just ignorance
Sad, but this is the reality of many boaters who reside on moorings and only have a volt meter and alternator and don't fully comprehend either of them......

When those same folks get a BM, and are shown how to properly use it, they can go from two years to 5+ even if the pin point accuracy is not spot on.......

I have one customer who was getting a single season out of house batteries. His current set is now into its fifth season and doing rather well. He added a BMV-600 and previously had a horribly inaccurate analog volt meter.....

Tags
battery, monitor