Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 08:53   #1

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Batteries Shot Or Over Reacting?

House bank is 3 AGM 105 group 31 hardwired to Prosport smart charger.
Had a problem several months ago, charger was off and batteries ran very low before I notice the problem. I recently installed a voltage monitor. Became concerned that batteries were not holding voltage. Tested by turning off all 12v devices and the charger for 5-6 hours. Voltage dropped from 13.3 which I think is the normal maintenance charge to 10.8. Of course when I turned the charger back on the reading jumped to a charging voltage of 14.7.

Is it clear that my 5 year old house bank is shot? Could just one of the batteries be bad? Could this be caused by a short? I'm no electrician but it sure seems that batteries should hold charge much better then this.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: batteries shot or over reacting?

If the voltage dropped to 10.8 with no load, you either have a short somewhere or your batteries or at least one of your batteries is/are toast. Resting battery voltage should be around 12.8 volts. If you have lead acid batteries, a cheap hydrometer will isolate a bad cell/battery. Best would be a load tester but you probably wouldn't want to spring for the cost of one of those. Pulling the batteries and taking them to a battery store would give you access to their test equipment. You'd have to do that anyway as it's not good form to drop the bad battery(ies) over the side.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: batteries shot or over reacting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Voltage dropped from 13.3 which I think is the normal maintenance charge to 10.8. Of course when I turned the charger back on the reading jumped to a charging voltage of 14.7.
Your batteries are toast. Anytime a battery jumps to absorption voltage that quickly, even from 12.1V, it is heavily sulfated and done for.

A typical 100Ah AGM should take approx 1:15 minutes to go from 12.1V to 14.4V with a charge rate of 20A or .2C... You went from less than dead to 14.7V in what sounds like seconds....