Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2021, 04:55   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Basic ebay solar kit for a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intifada View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info. So I'm thinking of these:
Tp-solar 100W flexible solar panel 12 V monocrystalline which comes with 12AWG conncectors.

Renogy Voyager - 20A Negative PWM Waterproof Charge Controller An MPPT seemed better but delivery to my current location (Netherlands) and budget means I'm going for a PWM

edit: In case an MPPT is highly recommended by this forum here is the one I was looking at: EPEVER 20A MPPT

Some questions: From what I can tell, 3 metres from panels to controller should use minimum 2mm^2 wire which is about 12AWG but if it ends up a greater distance and I go up in cable diameter am I limited by the 12AWG connectors on the solar panel? Do I have to replace them completely?

From controller to battery what AWG cable should be used?

Is it better having the controller closer to the batteries or the solar panel or does it matter?
If you buy the Renogy kit, it comes with 10 AWG wire w/connectors and you can buy 16' extensions that plug right in.

I have 14 AWG on my 65 watt panel which is laying flat above but the Renogy panel (tied to stern railing) has it's own 10 AWG wiring that I ordered with it.

The 20 amp panel which has fallen into the cockpit in video above has 14 AWG wire and is connected directly to the batteries. No controller. It goes into the lazerette locker when I'm not sailing (there to attend to it)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 05:28   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 33' (steel)

I was looking at that kit but I think a flexible panel would suit the boat better - I can put it on the sprayhood for now and later put some stiff backing on it and place it elsewhere but not vice-versa
Intifada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33   #18

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intifada View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info. So I'm thinking of these:
Tp-solar 100W flexible solar panel 12 V monocrystalline which comes with 12AWG conncectors.

Renogy Voyager - 20A Negative PWM Waterproof Charge Controller An MPPT seemed better but delivery to my current location (Netherlands) and budget means I'm going for a PWM

edit: In case an MPPT is highly recommended by this forum here is the one I was looking at: EPEVER 20A MPPT
Just be aware you're looking at "cheap" solar kits, meaning you'll be getting cheap components with it.

As others have stated, maybe not a bad way to get into your initial setup, get everything aboard and working and then replace as you go along... but be aware that these "camping" type panels have very little if any regulation, don't hold up well over time (even in non-saltwater environments) and consistently pull less W than what they are rated (even when brand new before degrading).

Same with controller, where you'll eventually want an mppt and would be well advised to buy viltron... and at some point if youre going to replace both panel and controller why not do so from the beginning?
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, solar