Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 11:20   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Anyone use WAGO connectors on their boat?

Any thoughts on using these in a marine environment?
https://www.amazon.com/Wago-222-413-...ago+connectors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41GcACYtQtL.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	164068  
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 13:54   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Anyone use WAGO connectors on their boat?

I have used them extensively on our boat. When needing to connect more than a few wires it is the best solution that we have found short of putting bus bars all over. They are great. And the spring latches snap quite hard!

There's some online video of these things holding wires past their amp rating. The plastic melts but the clips still hold.

I stuff each wore with a big glob of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. We give them two thumbs up!
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:06   #3

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I also use them. I was even a seller for them.
I live in Canada and we have to winterize the boat. I remove all electronics to prevent theft and these connectors are wonderful. Makes removal and installation very easy.

Funny when I offered a boat supply store to sell them, the owner turned me down when I told him they have no marine grade certification or approvals.
He said they would corrode. At les then $1.00 each....who cares? Buy a bag and throw the bad on tin the trash.
What I like is no need for crimping pliers.. Just put your wire in and close the gate.
They can withstand amps as high as the maximum wire gauge they will take.
I also use them at home.

I have hundreds of them at home.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 16:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I don't have a problem with them as a commercial electrician with 30 years of experience in the field, where I've seen all sorts of different wire connection methods in all sorts of environments from climate controlled computer rooms to industrial locations like toxic chemical plants and mines/quarries that make life in the relatively mild saltwater/marine enviornment seem like a walk in the park. Wagos work fine and are great for extra small-gauge wires I think, if that is what you want to use.

But I don't have a problem with wirenuts either. If used properly they will give a superior wire connection to a crimp made with standard materials and commonly available non-professional tools and made by an untrained worker who is unaware that the orientation of the crimp/crimper makes a big difference and doesn't use the proper technique or pressure. Then again, most people who are not trained will improperly install wire nuts as well -stripping the wire too short, not tightening the connector onto the wires anywhere close to as tight as it needs to be, and often stupidly putting electrical tape over it so it can trap and retain moisture. There are ways to encapsulate a wirenut so that it is just as solid and moisture-proof as the unbroken conductor inside undisturbed factory insulation.

People are going to do what they are going to do. NEC, ABYC, EU/CE whatever... I go onto most boats wired both by both amateurs and "marine electricians" alike and and I just shake my head at 99% of what I see. That wouldn't fly on one of my jobs, but it isn't one of my jobs so who cares?
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 17:53   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The Wago 221 Lever Nuts are Awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wago 221 lever nuts.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	164117  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:33   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I would be wary of anything requiring later inspection/replacement.

For me, Blue Sea twistlock ciggie ports for low amp stuff needs portability or regular removal.

Over 6A, properly crimped Andersons, distribution blocks even with fusing aren't expensive.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 19:25   #7

The WAGO 221 series that I posted a picture of are rated for up to 32 amps, with wires up to 14 AWG. Not sure of the specs of the 222 serial. That's a lot of current! There's a video on WAGO's website that shows them putting over 120 amps through one of their connectors, and the wire insulation melts off and the wires glow before the connecter even begins to show signs of failure, and even then it's just the plastic housing, not the electrical connection itself.

However, current handling ability aside, I'm more interested in how they stand up to corrosion and vibration. I don't think I'd use these above decks, but below decks, with reasonable precautions such as use of a corrosion blocker, they seem like they could make things simpler, cleaner, and, dare I say it, safer? In my opinion, anything that is easy to service and maintain is going to be safer in the long run. If I have to remove a component I generally have to cut and resplice when reinstalling, and wires get shorter, or are not long enough to begin with. The WAGO terminals allow for easy removal and reinstallation, which is a win in my book.

But then, I'm no marine electrician. I welcome comments from those who have used these connectors, or have real knowledge of marine electrical systems. Thanks to all those who have chimed in already.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 14-02-2018, 07:47   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I don't see what value they add compared to APP connectors.

The no-crimping ease of use to me is not worth the fact that the connections would require regular inspection against corrosion.

Maybe I'm too cautious, but also maybe you're overestimating the difficulty of getting good crimped connections on a standardized termination.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 08:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I don't see what value they add compared to APP connectors.

The no-crimping ease of use to me is not worth the fact that the connections would require regular inspection against corrosion.

Maybe I'm too cautious, but also maybe you're overestimating the difficulty of getting good crimped connections on a standardized termination.
APP connectors (I presume you're referring to the Anderson line) are certainly good for some things, such as power connection for pumps, etc. And I have no issues with crimped connections where appropriate. But I also see value in the WAGO-style connectors, especially when connecting more than two wires together. Each method has a purpose and proper usage, it comes down to using what is the most appropriate method for the case at hand.

And all I'm doing is trying to educate myself so I can make the right calls... :-)
Old 14-02-2018, 08:19   #10

Boat: Valiant 42

The connection is "gas tight" only if you use the right size and stranding of wire specified for the connector. But there is no good way to seal the exposed wire from water ingress. They are most likely not specified for damp or wet locations. Check the data sheet. I would not use them for any critical systems that are needed when the stuff hits the air moving device.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 08:22   #11
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Any thoughts on using these in a marine environment?
I have used them, inside only, still perfect 4 years latter. It is the best way I know to connect more than 2 wires together.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 08:33   #12

Boat: Kaufman 47

We only used them for connecting overhead led lights together so a main line can be ran from there. None are used in bilges or wet areas like the lazerette. If I have water ingress in my overhesd or closets I have bigger issues than possible corrosion.

We bought a box of each the 3 wire and 5 wire.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We don’t use them on customers boats but do use Polaris ones on high current applications. They certainly look better than some I’ve seen. https://polarisconnectors.com/
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:50   #14

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

As I recall ABS allows their use (American Bureau of Shipping) on inspected vessels. I think they may be allowed under ABYC for under 20 amps as long as they meet certain UL ratings.
Old 15-02-2018, 18:00   #15

Interesting article written by a guy who apparently works for ABYC stating that, in his opinion, WAGOs are possibly ABYC compliant. Read it for yourself, then decide.
Finally, in the Wago lever-type connector, a small plastic lever lifts up to open the gate for inserting the stranded conductor. Lowering the lever locks everything into place. Are individual strands damaged here? Will the connection meet pull-test requirements? What about galvanically incompatible metals? I’m not sure, as I’ve only seen photos of this type in use on boats. Wago’s website (www.wago.us.com) shows a detailed cutaway of the metal clamping mechanism inside the plastic housing. The curved surface of the compression piece strikes me as equivalent to any compression plate with the screw-type mechanism. If it meets pull-test requirements and the metallurgy issues pass muster, I’d say this type is compliant.
You and read the entire article here - https://www.proboat.com/2016/09/term...or-compliance/

Tags
boat