Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 12:13   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
AC Distribution Panels

OK,
I had a tough location problem figuring out how to fit a modern 120vac EFCI GFCI Main Panel into our small boat. I had the BlueSeas panel picked out, but had difficulty finding a location in the main cabin. As it was, the back of the panel would have been in one of the cockpit lockers. I just found this WP unit. It is expensive, but mounting an enclosed WP panel in the cockpit locker is a much better solution for us. Blue Seas 120vac-30a-ELCI-Main-AC-Panel in Enclosure 3116

3 Breakers
- Sterling Charger 1240
- Refrigerator
- Receptacles
- Hot Water Tank heater
Only missing one breaker.

Question: Would there be any reason to change to 120/240 50A? It is a very simple system. What would be the advantage? Would plugging into shore power internationally be any easier?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BS-120vac-30a-ELCI-Main-Panel-3CB-3116.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	175288  
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 13:48   #2

Re: AC Distribution Panels

You have a very simple system. Unless you plan to grow it a bunch (add AC for example) I do not see why you would want to go to a 50-amp inlet. 30-amp cord is much lighter and easier to stow. I am sure space is at a premium in your classic 32' sailing vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
OK,
I had a tough location problem figuring out how to fit a modern 120vac EFCI GFCI Main Panel into our small boat. I had the BlueSeas panel picked out, but had difficulty finding a location in the main cabin. As it was, the back of the panel would have been in one of the cockpit lockers. I just found this WP unit. It is expensive, but mounting an enclosed WP panel in the cockpit locker is a much better solution for us. Blue Seas 120vac-30a-ELCI-Main-AC-Panel in Enclosure 3116

3 Breakers
- Sterling Charger 1240
- Refrigerator
- Receptacles
- Hot Water Tank heater
Only missing one breaker.

Question: Would there be any reason to change to 120/240 50A? It is a very simple system. What would be the advantage? Would plugging into shore power internationally be any easier?
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 16:28   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Quote:
Would plugging into shore power internationally be any easier?
Note that the BS ELCI may not be rated for 50Hz. I just looked at their data sheet and could not find a frequency spec. Best call Blue Sea Tech Support if you plan on using this overseas.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 15:43   #4

Their tech call center is jammed. I have emailed.
Old 14-08-2018, 13:46   #5

Have been advised the elci 30a 120v is only 60hz and I must go up to 50a 240v to get 50hz.

Its a small boat and with 3 circuits maybe 4. I don't need it.
I just want to connect the charger to power the dc in the boat! Must be some way to do this. - I do know about the Victron Isolation transformer as a possibility. More weight, no room, more expensive.

I believe I'd have to change all shorepower too.
Old 14-08-2018, 15:44   #6

Rick, No the 3116 has a 120 VAC 60 Hz breaker in it. The 3113 blank panel can have on of the 230 VAC 50 hz. Below is a link to all the ELCI breakers we carry. Take a look and please ask any questions you may have. https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat.../ELCI_and_GFCI

To Blue Sea:
The sloop has 30a 125v old main panel. I was going to update it.
I had hoped to be able to plug into Europeean Marinas. To do that does it mean that I have to increase to 50a 240v?
It is small and does not have all the dystems bigger boats have.
120v panel
1 charger
2 two receptacles
3. Refridge
4. Hot water coil ( not really necessary)
Is there some other way to do this?
My charger is Sterling pro ultra 40 amp and it can plug in to global ac power sources! How can I use that to power the boat?

Rick,
It’s the ELCI. The processor in the breakers is voltage and Frequency dependent. We worked with several military groups that needed to power on both continents. We ended up with two shore power inlets and ELCI’s, then a switch to power the charger and they had a transformer that altered the power to US if 230 50 hz was feed.

Best Regards,
Kevin Patterson

Tags
panels, rib