Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 10:54   #376
cruiser

Re: A way To Save Charging Time

Even with only 50% of the solar currently producing (225w) due to a mishap when the company and I miscounted the extension connectors, it's nice to see our batteries coming up into the mid 90% (94-98%) status every day. The 225w of solar seems to take care of both refrigeration systems during daytime hours. So next month when I receive the connectors to bring the entire 450w online, the solar should also be able to take care of both Spectra watermakers.

We're also going to purchase a Mastervolt 24/1000 230v inverter to keep the hotwater tank hot all day. Presently, we need to run either the generator or motor for hot water.

The two battery chargers really make a big difference in how quickly the batteries recover.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 14:37   #377
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Happy to hear it is working for you
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 11:15   #378
cruiser

The Fluke 374 clamp meter I purchased last month thanks to the recommendations made on this thread has worked out well, I use it almost everyday. Much easier to understand.

I located some MC4 connectors in Split today and was able to connect the other half of the solar array. Tomorrow's the big day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1312.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	150957  
Old 30-06-2017, 19:05   #379
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know the MC4 connectors are supposed to be water proof, but I think it prudent to put some silicone grease on them when you plug them into each other.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:13   #380
cruiser

Some final numbers after some sunny days have provided results better than expected.

When charged up to 100% float status, I'm able to go two days (48 hours) using two watermakers running one hour each day producing 64 gallons over two days (34 gallons per day) run a large Frigoboat fridge and separate deep freezer, run two loads of laundry, evening lighting and all electric cooking which includes microwave oven, infared oven and induction cooktop, with the house battery bank charge dropping only to 80%. At 9:00am on the third day, I run the 10kw generator for 30 minutes to bring the charge back up to 90% while making 34 gallons of water over a one hour period, then solar brings me back up to 100% by 4pm. The sequence begins again.

450w of Solbian Solar along with the increased battery charging capacity has proven to be a huge success. Instead of listening to the generator for five to six hours over a 48 hour period, it's been reduced to 30 minutes. I can actually go three days without the generator, then run it for an hour, but right now I need to run it to produce 14 gallons of hot water.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 26-07-2017, 04:47   #381
cruiser

I finally got around to installing the "Smart Gauge." Can anyone explain why the voltage varies so much? Most of the time it hovers up aroud 28v, but after I use the microwave it'll drop down to as low as 24.5v then slowly creep back up over the next 5 minutes or so. When the freezer of fridge turns on, it drops down in the 26.5v-27v zone, then creeping back up to 28v with the fridge still running over the next 2 minutes.

Also, since I added the solar and got it online, the batteries are using much less water. I refill the water every 30 days per maintenance schedule, and this month nearly half of the cells didn't require any water to be added.

Why the change? In the past, I've always needed to fill each cell with nearly the same amount of water, approximately 50-75cc in each one. Now almost nothing required.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	152675  
Old 26-07-2017, 05:31   #382

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Also, since I added the solar and got it online, the batteries are using much less water. I refill the water every 30 days per maintenance schedule, and this month nearly half of the cells didn't require any water to be added.

Why the change? In the past, I've always needed to fill each cell with nearly the same amount of water, approximately 50-75cc in each one. Now almost nothing required.
Can't comment on the smart gauge, but we also noticed a reduction in the amount of water needed when switching from shore/alternator/genny charging regimes to fully time solar. Perhaps the solar is a more gentle charging regime especially if you are able to fully charge each day so are using the top 80 - 100% of the battery capacity. This will mean the charging is quite gentle as the batteries internal resistance restricts how much current they will absorb.

Also the anodes last longer too
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 06:36   #383
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

thank you for taking the time to report your progress and results, Kenomac. Also, you set a good example of boat management tracking inputs and outputs and monitors - when you establish a baseline like this you'll be the first to know if something has corroded or changed in a few years.

Another system to track like this is refrigeration - voltages and pressures at various points during operation and quiescence. If the freezer malfunctions one can quickly make a diagnosis by comparing to the baseline readings.

enjoy your Adriatic Summer.
I am still delivering boats and looking for the "next one" -- looking at a Hylas today.
Old 26-07-2017, 15:45   #384

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Voltage variation. An overly simplistic explanation, but it will give you the idea: when you operate a device with a high Amp draw, you pull down the "surface voltage" on the plates in your batteries since that is where the chemical reaction is taking place. It takes a while for the voltage to even out again through the plates and electrolytes (i.e. "equalize" - but not in the high voltage charging sense of that word).

The microwave will do that all the time it is running. The fridge compressor will do that at startup when it has a large "inrush current". Once it is running, the demand is not so high and the "equalization" will take place.

Water Use:
Water is lost when charging and discharging, but primarily when charging because of the generally higher Amps involved. . The faster the charge, the higher the water loss. You are now charging the batteries more slowly over a longer period so less water is lost.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 07:31   #385
cruiser

Update:

I turned off the deep freezer the other day because all it was doing is keeping some ice cubes, bread and three packages of meat frozen; transferred everything into the recently defrosted fridge. Now with the 450w of solar, the batteries are returning to 100% daily according to the Smartgauge and the Magnetronic. So... making 30gallons of water, running the fridge, night time lighting, cooking and one load of laundry is being taken care of by the solar 100%, no generator required. Awesome!
Old 24-08-2017, 07:35   #386
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know the MC4 connectors are supposed to be water proof, but I think it prudent to put some silicone grease on them when you plug them into each other.
Your 1000w of solar is overkill, you've nothing to worry about since our 450w of solar can take care of everything (except the big deep freezer) on our 53ft boat.
Old 24-08-2017, 07:50   #387

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Good deal Ken. Been following along with interest & glad to hear your new investment is working out as planned. It also sounds like the Smartgauge is settling down -- still think it was a worthwhile purchase given your existing Magnetronic?

Also . . . do you have a separate engine/genset start battery(s)? If so, is your solar also hooked up to charge those as well?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 08:47   #388
cruiser

The generator has it's own 12v battery and the engine has two 12v volt batteries. No solar hooked to them, it's unnecessary since I can flip a switch and use the house bank to start them if needed. But the generator and engine run often enough to charge their separate batteries.
Old 24-08-2017, 08:54   #389

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 05:20   #390
cruiser

Just a quick update because I know quite a few folks are following this thread. On sunny days, it's nice not having to listen to the generator for an hour! Our 450w of invisible Solbian solar takes care of everything including cooking, unless I turn on the large deep freezer or decide to cook a large meal for four. We're now in the habit of moving the boom off to the starboard side and attaching a stabilizer to the boom end daily in order to eliminate shading issues and improve motion. It's been making a significant difference on solar production along with having installed five controllers, one for each panel.

I have an extra 230v 1500w inverter I can dedicate to the waterheater. So next season or possibly as soon as this Wednesday, I plan to plug it in full-time to see if the extra solar capacity can keep the water warm all day following an initial warm up using the generator or engine. I first need to install a selector switch on the 230v side for panel vs inverter. The waterheater is 230v., but I'm finding that during the day the solar is producing a steady 20-22amps, but the batteries are only able to accept 2-7amps since the batteries usually begin the day at 86% and end at 95-99%. There seems to be extra unused capacity.

I'm currently at day four without touching the generator or engine and the battery bank is at 82-86% in the morning then coming up to 95-99% by sunset on 450w of solar alone. All I'm using at anchor is interior LED lighting, a fridge, water pump, microwave, two Spectra watermakers which run for 1/2hr daily, an on-demand coffee machine, NuWave induction cooktop and electric toilets. No big screen TV or deep freezer.

The SmartGauge seems to have settled down after a month and is now giving me fairly accurate readings after the sun sets and in the morning prior to charging time. It's usually way off during the charging phase indicating a lower reading than actual battery status.

Just finished three continuous months at beautiful anchorages here in Croatia and Montenegro, and don't plan on taking a mooring or marina stay for at least another 30 days when I return to Italy.

All is well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	154874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	154875