Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 15:05   #286

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: A way To Save Charging Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Bump the thing up to absorption voltage, or its likely a week from now it is still increasing, that is not too much of an exaggeration, very little charging is going on in float, its not supposed to, if there is, your float voltage is too high.

Nobody was disrespecting you on the capacity test, just to do it "right" requires equipment that no cruiser is likely to have and to purchase said equipment is not money well spent, yes you can jury rig something, like a ceramic heater for instance and it may can tell you if your bank is dead or not, but unlikely its going to be able to tell you if you have 420 AH or 390 AH, for that you need the equipment, and time.
To even begin a good cap check you need to cycle the bank at least once, and most importantly be darn sure it is really fully charged, not close, but full.
True. To do an accurate test, you need to use a variable resistance and hold the current to a steady value as the voltage drops.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 23:21   #287
cruiser

Quote:
Bump the thing up to absorption voltage, or its likely a week from now it is still increasing, that is not too much of an exaggeration, very little charging is going on in float, its not supposed to, if there is, your float voltage is too high.

Nobody was disrespecting you on the capacity test, just to do it "right" requires equipment that no cruiser is likely to have and to purchase said equipment is not money well spent, yes you can jury rig something, like a ceramic heater for instance and it may can tell you if your bank is dead or not, but unlikely its going to be able to tell you if you have 420 AH or 390 AH, for that you need the equipment, and time.
To even begin a good cap check you need to cycle the bank at least once, and most importantly be darn sure it is really fully charged, not close, but full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
True. To do an accurate test, you need to use a variable resistance and hold the current to a steady value as the voltage drops.
I found a way to do this, by turning off, then turning on the charger it kicks it back into absorption mode for a couple of hours, but no more than six according to the manual.

My float level on the Magnetronic has now climbed up to 406Ah and is still climbing. So yes, based on some old settings entered by a knucklehead in Mallorca, I've been undercharging my house batteries by a significant amount.

I'll look for the test equipment today for the equalization procedure.

Thanks again.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 02:29   #288
cruiser

Is there a good reason for me to have one of these onboard?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	147934  
Old 17-05-2017, 02:42   #289
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

If I recall correctly, Noelex77 had his (now sold vessel) almost running solely on Solar. His soon to be completed boat will again have a large amount of solar panels.

I learned a lot from him by reading the associated threads. His approach is straightforward and useful. I have no idea if he is an electrician but his knowledge base is solid.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 02:51   #290

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I use mine a lot. Great for trouble shooting electrics.
Old 17-05-2017, 03:13   #291

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:

Boat power is mostly DC, this unit doesn't have DC amps. I would want the DC amp clamp feature.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 03:57   #292
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
If I recall correctly, Noelex77 had his (now sold vessel) almost running solely on Solar. His soon to be completed boat will again have a large amount of solar panels.

I learned a lot from him by reading the associated threads. His approach is straightforward and useful. I have no idea if he is an electrician but his knowledge base is solid.

Early on during this thread, he recommended that I not get solar.
Old 17-05-2017, 03:58   #293
cruiser

The house bank is now at 418Ah and still rising.
Old 17-05-2017, 06:11   #294

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Not really. It doesnt measure DC Amps.

This is what you want . . .

Name:	51pYSHqQvxL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	147940

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 06:51   #295
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
The house bank is now at 418Ah and still rising.

Watch your acceptance rate though, I'm not sure how the amp counter works, it may be that it will continue to climb even after the bank is fully charged as there is always some current going into a bank even after its fully charged if the voltage is high enough. Presumably it's lost as heat
Cycling the power switch is how I get my Sterling Pro Charge back into absorption mode too. I have to do that a couple of times to get my bank to 100% according to the Smart Gauge.
It seems Maine Sail is right, that chargers as a whole do trip into float prematurely. I assume this is for Joe Average that rarely if ever checks the water in their battery?

I do not know of any special equipment required to equalize, however its not a bad idea for you to stay on the boat during equalization just in case a battery gets hotter than it should.
I do not know how to equalize a Trojan battery but am sure that if it's allowable, Trojan has the info published

You seem to appreciate "good stuff" for me multimeter wise that is a brand called Fluke, there are very good inexpensive meters out there, however a Fluke is just easier to use and read and built a little better etc., as it should be cause it costs more, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

A good basic Fluke would be a wise investment I think, you don't need all the bells and whistles though, at least not yet.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 06:55   #296
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Oh, and the Knucklehead in Mallorca may have set the monitor perfectly, its my understanding that any amp counter battery monitor is only accurate on day one, from there on it drifts to being more and more inaccurate, so you have to re-calibrate one continuously, how often being determined on how accurate you want it to be

Sit down with a beer and do some reading here, there is a wealth of knowledge here.
Maybe start with the article on how to keep your battery monitor accurate, then go on and read about the Smart Gauge as you have one coming
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:09   #297
cruiser

Quote:
Oh, and the Knucklehead in Mallorca may have set the monitor perfectly, its my understanding that any amp counter battery monitor is only accurate on day one, from there on it drifts to being more and more inaccurate, so you have to re-calibrate one continuously, how often being determined on how accurate you want it to be

Sit down with a beer and do some reading here, there is a wealth of knowledge here.
Maybe start with the article on how to keep your battery monitor accurate, then go on and read about the Smart Gauge as you have one coming
Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
No.... he was and is a knucklehead. He told me four summers ago that my batteries were badly damaged and set the maximum at 370Ah to indicate 100%, which is what I've been going by ever since.

Presently, my Magnatronic meter monitoring the house bank is reading 425Ah showing 94.4% and still charging at a rate of 2-3 Ah per hour going in at 28.64V.

Looks now like the system just needed a good kick in the ash. The Bimini is being sent off to Turin for the 450W Solbian factory install tomorrow morning.

This truly never would have happened unless I started this CF thread; I hope other members are getting something out of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1152.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	147945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1153.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	147946  

Old 17-05-2017, 07:12   #298

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I agree the Fluke is exceptional gear. I have a Fluke multimeter without an amp clamp and like it but I feel the Blue Sea that I use more is just as accurate and as durable at an excellent price point for a quality DC clamp meter.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:18   #299
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:

I do not know of any special equipment required to equalize, however its not a bad idea for you to stay on the boat during equalization just in case a battery gets hotter than it should.
I do not know how to equalize a Trojan battery but am sure that if it's allowable, Trojan has the info published
The technical part on the Trojan Battery website suggests that their batteries should only be equalised if there is difference of 0.03 on SG readings between cells after the battery has been fully charged.
They suggest the equalisation voltage is 16.2V.

I tend to check SG's (and record them) about every 3 months.
On the last check, I found that on the start battery, I had 5 cells at 1.320 and one cell at 1.260. On the previous check they had all read at 1.32.

Having discovered how to get my Sterling charger into equalisation mode (thanks Mainesail), I ran the charger in this mode for 2 hours.
Let the battery sit for a couple of hours and rechecked the SG's, they all came in at 1.32, so it does work.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:35   #300

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Boat power is mostly DC, this unit doesn't have DC amps. I would want the DC amp clamp feature.
Doh! Didn't notice it was AC clamp only. Ignore my last post. DC Clamp is needed for troubleshooting boat systems.

Tags
charging