Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2019, 01:16   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Vinyl skinning a cat

I had posted about removing the Lagoon 'dot' style transfer on the windows as part of an update that included refreshing the vinyl that has been on the hulls since new. (coming up to 5 years in August). I thought I would post some pictures and thoughts.
The first is that, 'as advertised', having vinyl covering the hulls does indeed keep the original gel coat in 'as new condition'. It looks pristine once the vinyl is removed.
That 'removal' part is a tough job but not as bad as I had thought. Someone said the removal is lubricated by tears and while it does hurt the hands it's not torture.
Working an hour a day (on my own) I did the top half meter around the boat in three days. Then, help arrived and with two eager helpers we managed to get all but the section under the bridge-deck done in two 4 hour days. (we left the under bridge-deck section as we were doing this in with the boat run the water and it was just too hard to get too.)
The process itself involves a heat gun ( a hair dryer will work and on a really sunny day perhaps neither) and finger nails to pick the edge.
It comes of in bits and there's a rediculous sense of achievement when a section over a few meters long comes away.
Then, with the vinyl removed, comes the cleaning.
The adhesive behind the vinyl comes off sporadically with the vinyl but mostly it leaves gum behind. We used acetone and rags to remove it although I believe dishwashing detergent does well too.
Then we lifted the boat and removed the final section under the bridge-deck in a bout ten minutes and continued cleaning 'on the dry'.
As with most things: preparation is the big part of applying the vinyl so the hulls really need to be clean - as in spotless. The best gauge of this is the hand. If you can feel it you need to remove it. Every dot of glue has to go.
The rest of the job I left to the professionals.
They do a final 'clean' with alcohol but that is about dust removal not glue.
The vinyl comes in 10, 20 and 25 meter rolls (I think) and each roll is 1m 52cm wide. That means to cover from deck to just above the water line requires one width roll and another section maybe 30 - 40 cm s wide (I didn't measure it, the professionals did.) Suffice it to say there is a seam. We decided to locate that seam at the bottom - as opposed to the original application that had it running along where Lagoon has an indent about half window height - and it looks fine.
The application took three guys about a day and a half. (it was windy and so it took them a little longer than they had hoped.)
I had the bedroom windows recovered at the same time with a black version of the Lagoon white dots.
(They will return to do the salon window treatments and two sections beside the stairs leading to the flybridge, after easter - these can be done with the boat in the water.)
So in conclusion: I would recommend it as a way to change the look of your boat and to protect the gel coat. Removal is not torture but is laborious (we could not find anyone to do it even if we wanted too and the vinyl people said they would not do it.) Preparation is paramount, as is a clean dust free environment preferably with wind protection... and no rain.
This new vinyl is guaranteed for 5 years and can be polished nine times. (or so it says). Cost (not including boat lift onto the dry ) but including windows and application is around 2,200 eur ex VAT
Anyway here are some pics.

I hope they upload in some kind of order. First should show the original vinyl coming off in scraps, then the clean boat with white hulls, then the beginning of the application followed by a shot showing the green razor tape that they use to trim the vinyl and finally a finished shot..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	190523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5251.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	190524  

Name:	IMG_6578.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	190525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	190526  

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	190527  
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 06:25   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Vinyl skinning a cat

Looks great in Gold.

Just out of curiosity. If you would have found someone willing to peel off the old stuff. How much would you have been prepared to pay as a, in your eyes, fair price (net)?
Old 21-04-2019, 06:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Looks great in Gold.

Just out of curiosity. If you would have found someone willing to peel off the old stuff. How much would you have been prepared to pay as a, in your eyes, fair price (net)?
Hmmm , in truth if I thought I could have capably done the applying I would have done that part myself too.. because I try to do work myself because generally I take the most care, but I was not confident of doing this. I did offer the professionals double the price to take it off..they said "no, that they wouldn't do it, nor could they find anyone who would." So I guess I would have paid 2000 euro. If someone asked me to do it..I would do it for 2000, I wouldn't do it for 500.
Old 21-04-2019, 07:02   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Interesting. There seem to be unpleasant jobs around to be done.
Just few who are willing to do it.
Good news for fellow cruisers ready to up the cruising kitty.
Especially if pros are not interested in doing it. So it's no unwanted competition..
Old 21-04-2019, 07:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have had vinyl applied professionally to a couple of airplanes.
Removal is tremendously helped by a good coat of quality wax put on first, vinyl still sticks but the wax makes it easier to remove.
Be careful with Vinyl, be sure you buy the good stuff that will hold up to UV or it will bleach out quickly, many exterior signs are vinyl now and last for years.
The good stuff will also usually have lines cut underneath it to let the air out. Some use tiny holes, but I’m less impressed with that myself
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 10:26   #6

This looks amazing! Nicely done - thanks for sharing.
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 10:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wildcats View Post
This looks amazing! Nicely done - thanks for sharing.
Thanks .. I am very happy with the results.
Old 21-04-2019, 11:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Yahoo to cptn.km

Hi all
cptn.km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 12:39   #9

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'm very impressed. I didn't know vinyl would shine like that. It looks like real gelcoat.

Very nice job, and thanks for starting this thread.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:20   #10
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

That looks fantastic, oh my goodness!

I've been minorly obsessing about doing a vinyl wrap on my Lagoon 380, but I have to prioritize it under a/c and new toilets, lol.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
That looks fantastic, oh my goodness!

I've been minorly obsessing about doing a vinyl wrap on my Lagoon 380, but I have to prioritize it under a/c and new toilets, lol.
Yes I understand priorities but luckily i already have a/c and so far all toilets are working well ! for me it was absolutely worth it. And as i say the gelcoat underneath is pristine