Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2018, 02:38   #1

Boat: Jaguar catamaran 36 foot,Pontoon boat 9 metres.Panache 22 foot ,Lagoon 42
Tools and Spares

I will be taking my new Lagoon to the Seyscelles.Can any one advise on a comprehensive list of spares and tools to carry.The Cat will be arriving in Cape Town with a professional skipper where 1 will be equipping her.I am taking two folding bikes and still deciding on tender and water toys
Sa Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 04:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Tools and Spares

Regarding tools- I have the same advice on all deliveries. Get a full tool set with case, such as https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Mec...6%3A1253531011. I have something similar on my personal boat. The hard case as it keeps the sizes organized, I am a damn good delivery Capt, but I can’t eyeball sizes, so this helps find the next size up or down.

Add a set of screwdrivers.

Add strap wrenches(to get filters off)

Add disposable gloves and a small tool sack to keep this stuff in.

If you are going to do long range trips and carry fuel on deck, get a giggle or shaker siphon.

Buy a can of T-9 Boeshield. Be sure to coat the tools periodically so they don’t rust.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 05:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quality hacksaw and commercial grade blades. 12v meter. Full set of service parts for both engines. Oil extractor. Battery powered drill. Glues and greases.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 05:13   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Keep in mind that you can buy any tool you want in the Seychelles and Nosybe (mostly) . I know this dosent help you while underway BUT I find a majority of my work is done while in port preparing for passage hopefully limiting getting the tools out underway.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote