Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 20:19   #1

noisy shrouds

on a brand new lagoon 56, as soon as the winds picks up, the shrouds start vibrating and the noise inside the aft cabins is very loud....
anyone with the same problem? possible solution??

Not from halyard banging on the mast, it is just the vibration of the shrouds that act like strings of a bass guitar
enrigenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 21:55   #2

Boat: L 450
Re: noisy shrouds

in the 450it´s not the shroud .
it is the topping lift who starts singing.

Check the topping lift

M
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 22:53   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Something is too loose.
Old 11-12-2016, 23:53   #4

On my L450 it used shake the mast and shrouds a lot, but it was caused by the Topping Lift vibrating. It could be lessened by loosening the main sheet off a bit. The vibration was a combination of wind speed and tension on the topping lift.

Solved the issue by having a place to park the boom on the hard top, that allowed the topping lift to be let completely off and no more problems.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 00:50   #5

The shroud noise that you refer to is present on our L400 in moderate to strong winds. It is caused by the black poly rigging covers being not a tight fit over the shrouds. They start to rattle and the vibration is transmitted to the hulls via the chain plates.
I've had a modicum of success by straining a rope between the two shrouds. Alternatively, I've met those who have removed them and replaced with smaller lamb's wool rubbing protectors where the mainsail contacts the shrouds.

The "shroud vibration" is distinct and different from the "topping lift hum". PaulinOz's advise is relevant to the latter. On a good night both will be pumping, and you might even get a base beat from a slapping halyard or lazy jack line. Try leaving fishing rods rigged with dyneema braid in rod holders for some whining treble sound.

Welcome to the world of boats! If you can't sleep while getting accustomed to the boat's sounds, I recommend rum.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:06   #6

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The shroud noise that you refer to is present on our L400 in moderate to strong winds. It is caused by the black poly rigging covers being not a tight fit over the shrouds. They start to rattle and the vibration is transmitted to the hulls via the chain plates.
I've had a modicum of success by straining a rope between the two shrouds. Alternatively, I've met those who have removed them and replaced with smaller lamb's wool rubbing protectors where the mainsail contacts the shrouds.

The "shroud vibration" is distinct and different from the "topping lift hum". PaulinOz's advise is relevant to the latter. On a good night both will be pumping, and you might even get a base beat from a slapping halyard or lazy jack line. Try leaving fishing rods rigged with dyneema braid in rod holders for some whining treble sound.

Welcome to the world of boats! If you can't sleep while getting accustomed to the boat's sounds, I recommend rum.
nice one ! Will check your theory next time. Mine start at 25 kn wind. It bothered me initially, but now if anchored, I know when to get more alert.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 23:10   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
On my L450 it used shake the mast and shrouds a lot, but it was caused by the Topping Lift vibrating. It could be lessened by loosening the main sheet off a bit. The vibration was a combination of wind speed and tension on the topping lift.

Solved the issue by having a place to park the boom on the hard top, that allowed the topping lift to be let completely off and no more problems.
If topping lift wibrates I would loosen it. Not the mainsheet.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 05:09   #8

i am used to the topping lift hum, but this is different, in fact even with the mainsheet completely loose there is no change in intensity or pitch of sound.
I suspected the black rigging covers and Tuskie confirms that, I'll see how I can try to fix this, at least a bit ...
not a problem for me , but I can feel that the new owner of this new boat won't be very happy!!
I'll double the rum in his cocktails!!
Old 13-12-2016, 12:06   #9

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigenna View Post
i am used to the topping lift hum, but this is different, in fact even with the mainsheet completely loose there is no change in intensity or pitch of sound.
I suspected the black rigging covers and Tuskie confirms that, I'll see how I can try to fix this, at least a bit ...
not a problem for me , but I can feel that the new owner of this new boat won't be very happy!!
I'll double the rum in his cocktails!!

idea:
push black covers down to close water exit, once water fills inside covers = no hum 1 or 2 litres will do on each side
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:13   #10

..and I can use that as emergency water tanks....
Old 13-12-2016, 13:33   #11

"If topping lift vibrates I would loosen it. Not the main-sheet."

Either, will work both contribute to topping lift tension. I use to set boom height with topping lift then hold it in place with main sheet.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:12   #12

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigenna View Post
Consider drilling a series of small holes along the length these black shroud covers. This will disrupt the air flow going around the circumference and reduce or even stop the harmonic vibrations.

We were able to overcome this on our 450 by playing with the tensions on the topping lift and mainsheet as discussed above.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shroud