Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 15:16   #16

Boat: L400 S2 Hull# 426
Re: Love my LAGOON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
I'll second you comment on the well thought out design. I crewed on a trans Atlantic delivery of a 400 S2 last October / November and was very impressed by the design and construction. The boat was sailed literally straight from the factory in Les Sables d'Ollone and the only thing that broke was the on/off switch to the washing machine (oh the horror!). The boat was sound, fast, comfortable and easy to handle in the wx we encountered - up to and above 50kt.

We joked that the designers were showing off with sheets and other running rigging passing within millimeters of but never touching anything but fairleads and winches.
How long was the trip? Mine is shipping in Mid December to BVI!!!!
BelizeBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 16:50   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

The total trip was less than 7 weeks. We spent a few days getting the boat ready to leave France, a few days in the Madeira Islands, a few days in the Canary Islands and a day and a half in Cape Verde. We suspected (correctly) that there was a storm further north, hence our southerly route. The longest leg was 14 days crossing from Cape Verde to St Martin in the Antilles.

We pushed the boat a little harder than I would cruising, but the skipper/owner and I are recovering racers and we all had schedules to keep and land jobs to get back to.
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
The total trip was less than 7 weeks. We spent a few days getting the boat ready to leave France, a few days in the Madeira Islands, a few days in the Canary Islands and a day and a half in Cape Verde. We suspected (correctly) that there was a storm further north, hence our southerly route. The longest leg was 14 days crossing from Cape Verde to St Martin in the Antilles.

We pushed the boat a little harder than I would cruising, but the skipper/owner and I are recovering racers and we all had schedules to keep and land jobs to get back to.
Thanks. I wanted to accompany "The Crew" on the maiden voyage, but the broker told me there isn't anyway they would allow that....lol
Old 16-09-2014, 21:50   #19

Boat: Lagoon 450

You should ask the crew or delivery company directly. We did and acted as crew when we purchased our L450 three years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 10:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catopia View Post
You should ask the crew or delivery company directly. We did and acted as crew when we purchased our L450 three years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks Cat... My Broker knows that I don't have any experience sailing & thinks I would just get in the way. He told me that they have ONE Mission & that is to get the vessel from point A to Point B & wouldn't even consider making this an Instructional Maiden voyage.... Is that the case....
I guess I should try & contact them myself & ask these questions.
How do I get in touch with the Crew to find this information.
Old 17-09-2014, 10:04   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

LOL..

The enthusiasm from this post is contagious....... I want to just run out and buy a Lagoon.........

Oh wait..... crap......... I cant afford one......

Never mind..... thanks for cheering us all up with the joys of ownership

P.S. I was being serious... this thread is a happy thread. Salty Monkey would be proud.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 10:13   #22
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

You would have to go through the broker to join the delivery crew. He is the one that arranges delivery. The best option might be to offer to cross biscay and depart there if things don't work out with the crew, or stay aboard if all is going well, that's about a 3 day sail.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 10:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
You would have to go through the broker to join the delivery crew. He is the one that arranges delivery. The best option might be to offer to cross biscay and depart there if things don't work out with the crew, or stay aboard if all is going well, that's about a 3 day sail.
Thanks Monte. I was hoping that you would weigh in on this.... I'll probably take the Brokers advice and be the 1st passengers to board our boat when it gets to Tortola & Hire an Instructional Captain for 2 weeks, for an initial training session. Before it goes into Charter.
Old 17-09-2014, 10:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelizeBound View Post
Thanks Monte. I was hoping that you would weigh in on this.... I'll probably take the Brokers advice and be the 1st passengers to board our boat when it gets to Tortola & Hire an Instructional Captain for 2 weeks, for an initial training session. Before it goes into Charter.
This is off topic Monte. I saw that you purchased your L400 in May of this year. I'm glad I waited as I saved about $40,000USD because the Euro has Plummeted. I saved almost $10,000USD just in the last month. Hoping it goes down even further by the time final payment is due.....
How did you fair, as the Euro was at its height in May????
Old 17-09-2014, 10:54   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Haha, well it's swings and roundabouts with exchange rates. Keep an eye on it is the best advice I have. If it starts heading up, lock in the rate with someone like www.ozforex.com
It's nice to see the price can be less than originally budgeted for, you will have some spare $$$ for boat toys

BTW, check out Wendi's thread and maybe contact bvimatelot regarding tuition.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...vi-130308.html

Also Scottster, how does the parasailor go? We have the 125m2, Im curious how the 160m2 performs?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 11:38   #26

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

I just spent 2 weeks buffing and polishing my 400S2 # 315.
The products I used were 3M and the results were very impressive indeed.
Without a quality job done on the glass work by Lagoon it would not have been possible.
The only thing I could comment on was the sheer size makes for a big job.
I was quoted a price that made me step back and take a deep breath so I did it myself.
By doing the job I had a great look at all the parts of the glass work.
The Leopard dealer even commented on how well it came up.
Thanks Lagoon
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 11:41   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
I just spent 2 weeks buffing and polishing my 400S2 # 315.

TWO WEEKS!!!

Sorry.. I thought you said two weeks.............
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 11:42   #28

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Just an off topic;
I purchased a used symmetrical kite and had it recut to a asymmetrical and a sock added.
A great inexpensive cruising sail.
There is a company here in the Pacific Northwest that has many used spinnakers and a local sail loft recuts for a $300.
Nice addition.
My boat came with all the rigging so I'm a go for downwind !!!
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 18:02   #29

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

I purchased our boat through a broker with delivery in Les Sables. I looked after the deliver myself. I am sure I could have joined the crew if I wanted. I just did not have the time or I would have done it myself.

It is my understanding that the delivery company hires the skipper from its pool. The skipper in turn hires the crew. To me it seemed that the skipper tried to keep it cheap. Maybe the skipper is paying the crew out of his own contract. He had 3 girls with him, of which two jumped ship at the first island on this side of the Atlantic. The last 900Nm of the delivery was done just by the skipper and one girl. This violated my insurance contract (4 experienced crew minimum).

Rolf
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 13:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
I purchased our boat through a broker with delivery in Les Sables. I looked after the deliver myself. I am sure I could have joined the crew if I wanted. I just did not have the time or I would have done it myself.

It is my understanding that the delivery company hires the skipper from its pool. The skipper in turn hires the crew. To me it seemed that the skipper tried to keep it cheap. Maybe the skipper is paying the crew out of his own contract. He had 3 girls with him, of which two jumped ship at the first island on this side of the Atlantic. The last 900Nm of the delivery was done just by the skipper and one girl. This violated my insurance contract (4 experienced crew minimum).

Rolf
Thanks Rolf. I just hooked up with a Captain (Thanks to Monte), and He gave me alot of info. Hopefully I will get all of my questions answered at the show in Annapolis.....

Tags
lagoon