Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 03:17   #31

Boat: Lagoon 440
Hi all

Anyone had experience of the para-sail on a cat?

good to hear all of the views. Your views will be useful when I plan some extended cruising. For now I manage 2-3 weeks at a time between South UK and South Brittany.
dinocuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:30   #32

Hi, what is an average / realistic etmal for the Lagoon 440 from the Capo Verden to Trinidad around Nov.?
The boat would have Genacker sail as well.

best regards
lagoon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 10:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
I chartered a Lagoon 440 for 2 weeks last december.
Fully loaded ( 8 pers ) we managed respectable speeds ( max SOG : 12.3 knots )
Steering this big cat was like working out !!
Considering the grounds we were cruising ( Windward Islands ) it was perfect.
Forgiveness if this is an obvious question but you did have the helm friction lock fully disengaged right? On the 380 I chartered its a little wheel on the steering wheel hub that gradually applies friction to the steering wheel as you tighten it...
Geoff Strebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 15:55   #34

Here is a page of a Lagoon 440 with a polaris. They also have a log of times and distances traveled. I played around with different criteria, but the answer always came to about 7 knots average.

Twixter.us

Dave
davech46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 16:14   #35

And that matches exactly what the 440's did on this years ARC. 7 knots/170 miles per day. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davech46 View Post
Here is a page of a Lagoon 440 with a polaris. They also have a log of times and distances traveled. I played around with different criteria, but the answer always came to about 7 knots average.

Twixter.us

Dave
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 17:32   #36

Also here is another site Top 10 Places! | The Hynes Honeymoon! A Lagoon 38. There trip from the Gallopagos to the Marquese (sp?) was 3000 miles which they did in 20 days. That works out to around 6.2 knots.
Old 28-01-2010, 10:56   #37

Every now and then you hear the question "how about this boat's performance?" , sounding pretty much like someone walking into a sports bar and going "hey , how about those Jets?".
Then you can get a similar span of answers :
"Extremely slow" , wrote someone who probably sails 50ft plus trimarans regularly so has a particular notion of "slow" . "Average 10kts while cruising" , I think that either those cruises are short or the area blessed with great steady wind.
I once clocked 17kts on a Lagoon 440 and on another occasion took almost 2 days to sail some 150 miles from Abaco to Fort Lauderdale . Fastest cat around , slowest cat around.
When making an estimate for an offshore delivery most of the times I'll factor in a speed of 6kts (for any boat from 38 to 50) to calculate total sailing time and find that it is quite conservative but serves well. Sometimes you'll sail faster , sometimes slower . Many people find out when they start cruising that they end up motoring much more then they thought while doing the armchair passage planning and cruise plans.
The Lagoon 440's performances are good , and anyone who is looking for boats that perform at another level maybe should start looking at the races...
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 14:32   #38

I am looking into buying a cat and going cruising for an extended period of time. As part of that process I want to understand the boat's capabilities and have realstic expectations. In looking ino the Laggon 440 it should in general be able to average 7 knots. I am understand that 7 knots means 4-8 knots for extended periods. Anyway, now I can move on to other aspects, like do I really like sitting on top of the boat to steer, etc.

Dave
Old 28-01-2010, 14:39   #39

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
We use our Autopilot 99.8% of the time underway. For docking and tight manoeuvrings that sky bridge on the 440 might actually make sense as I expect you can see the bows (at the same time) from up there.
Old 30-01-2010, 10:00   #40

Boat: Hanse 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Strebel View Post
Forgiveness if this is an obvious question but you did have the helm friction lock fully disengaged right? On the 380 I chartered its a little wheel on the steering wheel hub that gradually applies friction to the steering wheel as you tighten it...
Yes, that's one of the first things I checked.
And what made things even worse was that the autopilot didn't work.
The screen of the autopilot gave a sea talk error.
Afther the 2 week charter we returned the 440 with a full page of " things to do "
Okay, it was a charter boat ( 3 years old ) but it made me think about the finish and durability.

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 10:51   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Seatalk errors are most often a loose plug. Raymarine's design leaves them vulnerable to gradually wriggling loose. Irritating, but easy.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 20:43   #42

Hello all. This is my first post here as I'm hot on the trail of a L440. Everything fits the bill except for twisting in the wind while keeping course and thinking of my Girlfrend is below. So, with that being said. I was reveled when I saw that the 440 had these items optional :

1) Internal throttle control.
2) Internal Ray Marine Removeable "AutoPilot" remote.
3) Internal Ray Marine "Joy Stick" control.

The last (#3) being my main question here. For those who are 440 users with the Optional Joystick control. This is basically rudder control yes? As in, once you are under way and your sails are set, you can just sit down in the warmth with your hot chocolate charting your course all the while tweaking the aim of your voyage. If this is the case why are people so up in arms about the fly bridge? I understand the speculative safety of the additional height bother some but other than that, if you have BOTH options who cares? Party up top when it's sunny and hangout inside when its miserable.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan-
JHouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 21:49   #43

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Jonathan -
If you sail, your best set of instruments are your own senses. You need to be in tune with what's going on outside. That's even more critical at night when you can't get the visual cues you need to make decisions about sail trim and weather changes. Electronic instruments just add information to help quantify and measure what you sense.

Whether you sail or motor you need to keep a good watch. You might be able to do that adequately in daylight but night is tough if you're looking through a window. Collisions with flotsam and other vessels are dangerous and expensive.

I once heard a speaker say: "The difference between management and control is that in order to have control all you need to be able to do is make a change at-will, but in order to have management you need control AND information." Nuff said?

One more thing: It's dangerous to pilot a boat strictly by instruments (radar, chart-plotter) -- it's not a video game. Things aren't always as they're represented on-screen and you need to treat that as "additional information" to augment your primary navigation tools -- your eyes and ears!
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 22:33   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
One more thing: It's dangerous to pilot a boat strictly by instruments (radar, chart-plotter) -- it's not a video game.
Hmm.. in that case I'm not sure this sailing thing is all it's cracked up to be... I'm joking of course. Yes, totally. Your post is 100% logical. Makes total sense. I'm not saying that you fire her up and grab a rum and coke downstairs. I'm just merely asking if the joystick does in fact give you control of the rudder.
JHouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:46   #45

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
The autopilot gives you control of the rudder while sailing. Not familiar with the joystick implementation on the Lagoon but have seen it on power boats, where it controls everything -- engine direction, throttle, bow/stern thrusters and rudder.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440