Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 13:35   #751

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Hi everyone.

We’re back at sea and it feels GREAT! Oh how we’ve missed being on the boat. Yes we’re motoring unfortunately but we have a very small window to make it from Gib to Cartagena (the weather on Sunday looks Harry Horrendous). I’m currently on watch in shorts and a T shirt with flat calm seas and a full moon making visibility incredible.

The boat is running like a charm. Engines sounding sweet. I think the bottom needs a clean as we’re having to run at 2,500rpm to maintain our usual 6.3kts and I really didn’t fancy getting in the water in Gib to do it.

I’ve changed our both of our gear selector cables to Morse cables which are supposed to be the best. Our controls certainly are much smoother now. Believe it or not, Lagoon are paying for both! Good work Lagoon.

I think the anode has gone again in our hot water tank so not sure why that’s happening and the generator won’t start but I think that’s down to a faulty fuel pump which I’ve got on order.

All in all, SAII is in great shape which is a testament to our delivery skipper Boatman61. Nice one Phil. I highly recommend Deep Water Deliveries should anyone want to trust someone else to move their boat!

Also, and this is the best bit of my update, Hayley is asleep in our cabin with our new crew member fast asleep (and loving life at sea) in her crib. Ayla was 9 weeks old yesterday and is already on her first passage. Life couldn’t be more awesome right now!

All the best, Dave, Hayley and Ayla on Susan Ann II
Old 24-10-2018, 13:46   #752

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Hi Dave,

well done, wish you'll fair winds and a nice and safe passage!
Old 24-10-2018, 14:47   #753

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi Dave, I may need to replace my cables too. What were the specs and how did you go about getting the right ones for your boat?
PhilipSmethurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 18:22   #754
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Thanks Dave.. Good to hear your well pleased.
Dive and check your prop anodes before you settle for the winter.. seem to remember they looked a bit pock marked in the Azores.. sitting in a marina n all.
Glad your both settling in under the new Skipper..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 00:03   #755

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Hi Dave, these are good news, the adventure goes on and we are all waiting for a new video

Our Lagoon 450F went into the water yesterday in La Rochelle and we will sail soon to Gib for installing a similar solar construction like you did. On my previous Lagoon 421 I had a little more than 900 Watts of solar and these were enough for our needs. At noon the batteries were full again (we were mostly in Madeira and Canary Islands). When at anchor I often used the excess solar energy to heat the water in the boiler (warm shower, happy wife...). At anchor we were mainly using our 2 fridges and permanently our 2 Laptops. So I am a little bit surprised that you have to put the generator on for 2 hours when at anchor.

All the best
Pascal
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 06:50   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipSmethurst View Post
Hi Dave, I may need to replace my cables too. What were the specs and how did you go about getting the right ones for your boat?

Here you go:

Stbd cable = Morse red jacket TXCCX63232 32' 0"
Port cable = Morse red jacket TXCCX63246 46' 0"
The cables are made by Morse ,but sometimes marketed as Seastar (but still made by Morse)

They were sourced by the Yanmar dealer in Gib and there’s a 2 week lead time on the port (longer) cable which came from the UK. £250 per cable including labor to install.

Much smoother action than the original cables.
Old 26-10-2018, 06:57   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Hi Dave, these are good news, the adventure goes on and we are all waiting for a new video

Our Lagoon 450F went into the water yesterday in La Rochelle and we will sail soon to Gib for installing a similar solar construction like you did. On my previous Lagoon 421 I had a little more than 900 Watts of solar and these were enough for our needs. At noon the batteries were full again (we were mostly in Madeira and Canary Islands). When at anchor I often used the excess solar energy to heat the water in the boiler (warm shower, happy wife...). At anchor we were mainly using our 2 fridges and permanently our 2 Laptops. So I am a little bit surprised that you have to put the generator on for 2 hours when at anchor.

All the best

Pascal

Congrats on the boat launch and have a good sail south when you can get going. The reason I run the genny each day is to make water so while it’s on we get all the power hungry jobs done at the same time.
Old 26-10-2018, 07:05   #758

Boat: Lagoon 450F

hey Dave,
happy to hear that you're all sailing again.

also thanks for the info on the morse cables...will definitly to the change.
(was thinking to convert to electronic controls….but 8000€???)

we are in Torrevieja next week (from 31/10).

perhaps possible to meet?
Amberina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 18:12   #759

Dave, I guess you have tested the fuel pump to see if diesel comes out the pipe. Our genny has two fuel pumps probably because of the height above the fuel tank, the other one is behind the battery switches/ primary filter if your layout is the same.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 23:43   #760

Here’s the pump, yes, it’s the pump used because the fuel is at the other end of the boat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	179723
Old 29-10-2018, 04:14   #761

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberina View Post
hey Dave,
happy to hear that you're all sailing again.

also thanks for the info on the morse cables...will definitly to the change.
(was thinking to convert to electronic controls….but 8000€???)

we are in Torrevieja next week (from 31/10).

perhaps possible to meet?
That might be a great choice in the longer term as the cable runs on the 450F are long ..... those Yanmar electronic throttles are VERY smooth and positive in feel and the distance from the engines is not an issue as it is a frictionless system as it is a "fly by wire" control. That price does seem a little high is should be less than 7000 EUR . Also when you switch to electronic throttles you get different gauges (full electronic gauges with a multitude of viewing options ) and the throttles come with really cool features like throttle sync where you only have to move one throttle handle and it will do the exact same "movement" on the other throttle. Also (IMHO) the ergonomics of these throttles are the best I have used.
You can also retro fit a set of throttles at your nav station with this system should you wish too?
It will be cheaper if this is an option in the build as they should take off the cost of the other throttle system ...... I have no idea on this however as I have never dealt with Lagoon

I do know that most of the production builders are not shy to add a nice premium onto an "after market" product in the build phase.
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:31   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thanks Dave.. Good to hear your well pleased.
Dive and check your prop anodes before you settle for the winter.. seem to remember they looked a bit pock marked in the Azores.. sitting in a marina n all.
Glad your both settling in under the new Skipper..
Copper coat update:

Well either Phil the skipper (Boatman61) cleaned the bottom of the boat for me upon delivery in Gib or the copper coat is doing GREAT!

I dived the boat on Wednesday to check the props, anodes etc and the hull is in mint condition with not 1 barnacle on it. There's a very light algea growth consistent with sitting in a marina for 2 months but the bottom hadn't been cleaned since June in Miami so I'm very impressed with the results so far.

Thumbs up for copper coat.
Old 12-11-2018, 21:47   #763

Plumbing help needed please.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the fittings that Lagoon use in their plumbing. I found they are Whale pushfit fittings but can someone tell me what the internal diameter is of the blue / red semi rigid pipework?
Old 13-11-2018, 00:08   #764
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Plumbing help needed please.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the fittings that Lagoon use in their plumbing. I found they are Whale pushfit fittings but can someone tell me what the internal diameter is of the blue / red semi rigid pipework?
should be the same as hep2o push fit and john guest ,using 12mm or 1/2 inch OD fittings which use 9mm ID inserts at joins
https://www.johnguest.com/product/ac...-metric-sizes/

you could contact the whale factory also

Munster Simms Engineering Ltd.
2 Enterprise Road, Bangor, N. Ireland BT19 7TA
Tel: +44 (0)28 9127 0531
Email: info@whalepumps.com
Home
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 11:31   #765

Thanks for the help, I have tried Whale but received no reply.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9556.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	180577

So am I right in thinking the small blue hose in the pic is 12mm od and the large blue hose is 12mm id?