Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 12:00   #766

Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Dave,

Can not help with hose size, but white push fit fitting at bottom of you photo looks like a John Guest fitting from your home land!

www.johnguest.com/
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 17:57   #767
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Thanks for the help, I have tried Whale but received no reply.Attachment 180577

So am I right in thinking the small blue hose in the pic is 12mm od and the large blue hose is 12mm id?
large blue looks like flexible braided 3/4'hose where the ID is 18-19 mm-3/4'. outside diameter is generally about 1' or 25mm

small blue poly ethelene tube looks like 15mm OD with ID 11.5mm

alll made by john guest for whale.
https://www.johnguest.com/products/d.../lldpe-tubing/
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 00:52   #768

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

In my opinion, the system is certainly good, so that hose connections can be made in the accord during installation.

And of course it looks more elegant than hose clamps.
However, if they leak, they are difficult to repair because the hose is damaged on the outside by the "grippers". When the hose leaked at my water pump, I changed after some attempts with the original system to classical connections with hose clamps. This can be repaired anytime and anywhere. (And the water pump was by far not the only leaky hose connection of this kind.)
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 22:16   #769

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Hi guys, just to ‘close this out’. The fresh water pipe on a Lagoon 450 is 12mm internal diameter. Attached is a pic of the hose which has printed on it ND12. This stands for Nominal Diameter which in Europe refers to internal diameter (ID). The hose is made in Italy and you can get a variety of the push fit fittings fairly cheap in the UK in caravan and motor home stores.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	180952
Old 20-11-2018, 01:59   #770
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Hi guys, just to ‘close this out’. The fresh water pipe on a Lagoon 450 is 12mm internal diameter. Attached is a pic of the hose which has printed on it ND12. This stands for Nominal Diameter which in Europe refers to internal diameter (ID). The hose is made in Italy and you can get a variety of the push fit fittings fairly cheap in the UK in caravan and motor home stores.
Attachment 180952
Quote:
Plumbing help needed please.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the fittings that Lagoon use in their plumbing. I found they are Whale pushfit fittings but can someone tell me what the internal diameter is of the blue / red semi rigid pipework?
so what you are saying is that they are not whale fittings as you originally thought?

just standard 15mm OD pushfit plumbing fittings with a nominal 11.5-12mm ID found in most hardware and plumbing suppliers in the uk.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 05:20   #771

They are Whale fittings. 12mm
A search of plumbing fittings for motor homes will find them.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	180958
Old 22-11-2018, 05:24   #772

Boat: 450S

A trap though is if using the pex piping with these fittings and not a hose barb connection. Both Whale and John Quest pipe sizes refer to the external diameter to match the speed fitting.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 22:25   #773

I thought i had the plumbing supplies sussed but have just been told that the hot and cold water semi flexible pipe in the bathrooms os 20mm OD and 15mm ID (thanks PW).

As the 15mm fittings seem to be harder to get hold of. I'll do my job in 12mm and use a 15 - 12 reducer which is available.

Sorry for the false info before.
Old 27-11-2018, 18:53   #774

Boat: Island Packet 380

Inverter Question

This thread has gotten pretty long so excuse me if the answer to our question has already been answered...we are spec-ing out a new 450S and are deciding if we want to elect Lagoon's 2 kw inverter, or leave it off and install a larger Victron unit after delivery. However aside from cost and maybe weight, what downsides if any are there to utilizing the Lagoon inverter and adding a Victron to the system later? Can you have two inverter systems in parallel or does the Victron necessarily need to replace the factory unit? In addition to inverter(s) we plan to add a Quatro and have dual battery charger 110V 60 Hz and 220V 50Hz capability for times spent at marinas in the USA and Caribbean. Thanks in advance
CatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 19:09   #775

Boat: 450S

I doubt the two inverters will work in parallel as such as being different hardware they may not be able to sync their phases like two cascaded of the same type. What you might be able to do is use the Lagoon inverter (2kW) as an AC input to the Quattro (5kW) and use the power assist function of the Quattro to in theory get up to 7kW. Big drain on the bank however and I doubt FLA batteries would deliver.

I have done similar to your dual charger option. My Quattro is my main 220V charger and the original Christecs have their own shore plug i will use for 110V. When in the US i will plug in via the Christecs and the onboard 220VAC loads will be fed via the Quattro.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 02:14   #776

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascals Wager View Post
I doubt the two inverters will work in parallel as such as being different hardware they may not be able to sync their phases like two cascaded of the same type. What you might be able to do is use the Lagoon inverter (2kW) as an AC input to the Quattro (5kW) and use the power assist function of the Quattro to in theory get up to 7kW. Big drain on the bank however and I doubt FLA batteries would deliver.

I have done similar to your dual charger option. My Quattro is my main 220V charger and the original Christecs have their own shore plug i will use for 110V. When in the US i will plug in via the Christecs and the onboard 220VAC loads will be fed via the Quattro.
I have added a 5kVA Victron Quattro and re-wired my system having factory installed Mastervolt 2kVA inverter and Onan Generator. You can either replace the inverter, use the two inverter in parallel in separate 220V circuits or team up / daisy-chain the two inverter to 7kVA by using the power assist function of the Quattro.

Another option would be the grid feeding configuration of the Quattro to parallel the two inverter, but I would not recommend this.

I use the daisy-chain configuration to add the 2kVA when needed, can be done automatically by macros in the quattro settings and using the customizeable relay and the remote switch of the Mastervolt, also auto-limiting input current of the Quattro to meet the output of the Massine inverter.

Have a look in my thread about my refit project.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=201795

If you buy new and intent to go for Victron, leave off the Mastervolt stuff of the option list. The 5kVA Victron is sufficient to run all my stuff, I never really needed to team up the two yet, except for some tests.

And you get an additional 220A (180A effective) charger on topp by chosing the 5kVA Quattro.

The power assist is also very handy in marinas with limited Amps, you can use the Quattro and your battery to run higher loads on shore power if needed.
Old 28-11-2018, 03:02   #777

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

forgot to mention, I have added a Finder 220V relay with isolated contacts on the output of the Massine inverter to create a signal for the Quattro that triggers the macro to reduce the power assist current and also set the charge current to zero on the Victron when teaming up both units.

If shore power is connected, the Quattro charges the battery on excess incomming Amps. I also modified the circuit of the generator to run through the power transfer switch of the quattro, so I can use the power assist there too, but more important, I can run all A/C on any power source including battery.

See modified schematics in my thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2639824
Old 05-12-2018, 10:17   #778

Hi All,

I'm currently offshore at work at the mo and trying to get a head start on as much of my winter projects as possible but I need some help please.

I'm getting a code zero made. I know what the boat needs but I wasn't too sure what type of sail that meant so I've done a tonne of research. As we are in the Med now for 18 months or so, we need something that'll get her going in the light winds. We've been spoilt by the constant 20kts+ trade wind conditions of the Caribbean but I know from last summer that the Med just isn't like it. It's either too windy, in which case our standard sails are fine, or there's just not enough. I want to limit the motoring as much as possible so I need a sail that'll get us moving at over 5kts in a very light breeze which most likely will not be coming from 120 twa.

Hence the Code Zero which will actually be used from 50 - 130 I hope, and be furling, so easy for me to use on my own.

As I'm not on the boat does anyone have the measurements the loft will need?

REMEMBER: ours is a SPOR TOP with a mast 1m lower than the Flybridge so I need measurements from an S please.

I think I will need an exact measurement from the tack on the bow sprit up to the sheave for the spinnaker halyard and also from the tack to the block by the winch for the sheet.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-12-2018, 18:30   #779

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

You need the I & J measurements, which I'm pretty sure are in the manual. (I'm a 450F, so mine won't help).

It may be listed as I(SP) which is the one you want, being Spinnaker Halyard Height.

I'm also thinking of a code zero later this year (in the med), so curious where you are getting yours made, and what specs (cloth weight, cut, etc etc).

Note: After 2 years in the med, the sail we missed most was a downwind sail, Reaching in light air was a ok(ish), Broad reach and running just wasn't happening. In process of ordering a Wingaker to remedy that !.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 21:49   #780

Thanks Mark,

I've got my 450S manual on my iPad so have the "i" but it states it is the height from deck to the highest genoa sheave. 16.84m.

I've got a photo of Hayley up the mast where I can see the spinnaker block is approx 50cm above that?

We've got our gennaker which is OK for light wind reaching but I would really like a Wingaker too. As funds allow.

The code zero is going to be made from a Tri Radial Laminate with a proper anti torsion cable stitched in the luff and furled using my Facnor FX4500. I've not chosen on the exact loft yet but all the quotes I've had use similar materials.