Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 10:03   #1

Flybridge, maybe not that bad

Currently window shopping for a used cat around 42-45 ft. It will be mainly sailed short handed for longer trips. Probably as live-aboards.

At first I was skeptical to flybridge because of the disconnect. But the more I look at it, it might not be that bad. What’s the forums experience? Pro’s and cons?
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:13   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Flybridge, maybe not that bad

My experience is.. I love the flybridge. I just don't get this "disconnected" bit? You're just upstairs not in asylum. If it's about communicating with people inside the boat as opposed to just down in the cockpit then two el-cheapo walkie talkies fix that. In my experience it's not an issue: everyone hangs out up top. In real bad weather, with the clears on, it's still where everyone hangs as its the quietest place on the boat and the best place for anyone who gets sea sick. This is all merely my experience. I love the flybridge.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flybridge, maybe not that bad

This is a purely personal thing based on the sailing you will be doing.
For the Caribe and coastal cruising I can see the attraction.. Kinda.!!!!
However on ocean passages I do not like them.. sitting up there in rising 30+kts and 4+ metre seas is not my idea of fun and that clear will only last so long in a sustained blow.. also did not like the exposed access.
Never feel nervous going fwd in bad weather on a mono but going up there I do not like.. to me they are not serious boats.. Sorry folks.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:41   #4
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This is a purely personal thing based on the sailing you will be doing.
For the Caribe and coastal cruising I can see the attraction.. Kinda.!!!!
However on ocean passages I do not like them.. sitting up there in rising 30+kts and 4+ metre seas is not my idea of fun and that clear will only last so long in a sustained blow.. also did not like the exposed access.
Never feel nervous going fwd in bad weather on a mono but going up there I do not like.. to me they are not serious boats.. Sorry folks.

Why so serious ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:04   #5

Boat: Boatless

Boatman's 30+knots and 4 mt seas are just the nice weather...totally untenable position in the stuff we encountered off New Zealand...60 knots and 7+ mt waves!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:33   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flybridge, maybe not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Why so serious ?
I'm a serious guy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Currently window shopping for a used cat around 42-45 ft. It will be mainly sailed short handed for longer trips. Probably as live-aboards.

At first I was skeptical to flybridge because of the disconnect. But the more I look at it, it might not be that bad. What’s the forums experience? Pro’s and cons?
The "disconnect" is not an issue to me. My issue is where do I sit while on watch? I don’t want to be "up there" from 02:00to 06:00, but there is no place else I have the instruments, the control, and the visibility I need to keep proper watch.

Strictly my opinion, the "flybridge" is great for daysailing, terrible for passagemaking.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59   #8

Boat: L 450

We sail a Flybridge since 2 1/2 years

we would not change . Never ever

And we have a 3 Month old Baby onboard.

Works brilliantly

Cheers

M
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:06   #9

Love the flybridge. The notion of a disconnect is a bit odd and just maybe it is a nice choice for one or two people to have that time out?

Best place by far to feel safe and in control in serious weather, best place for those feeling sea sick. A place where I sail and keep all the ropes out of the cockpit below, which stays dry. I usually also do watches from the controls at the nav table in the saloon.

Best place to relax at anchor for a drink at sunset.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:17   #10

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

It seems the people who have a flybridge love it, and people who don't have one would never have one. It'a all kind of a silly argument.

I've sailed the L440 quite a bit, and love the flybridge. As far as a "disconnect", I was less disconnected on the L440 flybridge than I am on my FP semi-flybridge. On the L440 fly, there's enough room for at least 6 up there. It was a great place for everyone to hang out. My FP semi fly has room for 3 max, and you're shoulder to shoulder.

One of the factors that made me buy the FP after chartering the L440 and making 6 trips from Florida to the Bahamas on it, was short handed sail handling. It's possible to double hand the L440, people do it all the time, but it's easier to double hand my FP48. My winches are all clustered together right at the helm, although I do have to get out of my seat, and the boom is much lower. On the L440 I had to climb the mast after every sail just to secure the halyard so it wouldn't bang the head of the main up and down all night. This doesn't even take into account trying to get the lazy bag zipped. On my FP, both tasks are super simple. When tacking or gybing my FP, the winches are right in front of me. On the L440, the winch for the main and traveler are behind me, and the two winches for the genoa are 20 feet apart on the cabin top. Just a few examples of things that are easier. There are more of course.

I would also never sail my cat in the southern ocean. It's "not a serious boat", and neither are 99% of the cats made. Ignore such comments. If you were dreaming of sailing the southern ocean in 60+ knot winds and 7 meter seas, anything other than a heavy mono and a fully protected helm station wouldn't even enter the picture. People buy cats for comfort and stability. I don't care what boat you're in, 60kt wind and 7 meter seas are neither comfortable or stable.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:56   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450F

We too had the same discussion before buying our 2014 450F. We love the Fly bridge and would not change if all else remained the same. The Fly Bridge is the focal point of the boat. It can handle 5 or 6 adults and no matter what you do to keep people in the salon (food, drinks, whatever) or cockpit area, they always find a reason to meander up to the Fly Bridge.

As for not wanting to be up there for long passages?? Our preference is simple, we would not want to be any other place on the boat. It's the difference between box seats behind home plate and third floor seats in the outfield.....same game, you see it all, but the experience is completely different.

Under passage, we sleep and prepare meals in the salon....90% of the rest of the time were on the Bridge......
gatorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:03   #12

Thanks everyone for the excellent comments. Brings me to a follow up question,;
What kind of bimini and enclosures are you using on your flybridge? Some enclosures I’ve seen seems to be some proper wind catchers. Since it hasn’t been mentioned, I guess this is not a real issue?
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:14   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

We personaly opt for the halfbridge / sport bridge, easy access, single hand operation of the sails, good visibility, good weather protection (much better than flybridge or dual aft helm) and finally a low boom, easy access to the main sail, lazy bag etc. whithout the need to climb the mast.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:02   #14

Boat: L 450

The must have for us is a walkable Bimini to take care of the Boom

We have one of stainless Steel with a Sunbrella Cover

M
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:19   #15

Flybridge, maybe not that bad

Certainly the higher boom on the F makes sail handling harder. I went with Leisure Furl which would be great on either the F or S but expensive. No need to leave the flybridge to raise, reef or lower the main. I have a full width but not enclosed Bimini and have 960W solar on top. All sail handling is a single person operation.
https://youtu.be/oIi6DchZeZc
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote