Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 14:10   #16

Re: Surfing Crew Wanted Banyaks Nias Indonesia, Share Costs

call it whatever you like,

I don't mind contributing some cash to the cruising kitty and helping out.

Surfing charters in that area are very expensive but you do get 5 star food and service.

I am just disappointed that after 6 years of surfing and cruising the area why hang with all the other charter boats?

Why not find you own secret spots away from all the charter boats, each charter boat carries a dozen surfers and makes it too crowded to enjoy,

The whole reason for me buying a boat is to get away from the surfing pack!

C-man
Old 20-08-2015, 14:27   #17
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Me too C, sounds like a good trip. I dunno about 5 star food though, most surf trips I've been on have been fish and rice
Old 20-08-2015, 15:42   #18

A boat-based surf trip is an interesting idea.

Then again, it's pretty cheap to fly to Indonesia (not included, anyway), pretty cheap to rent a car, pretty cheap to rent a board (if you don't own one), and pretty cheap hotels, and lots of places to eat. I'd probably choose the solo route, instead of having to cook and then spend time crewing someone's boat home. But hey, that's just me. My Japanese friends fly to Bali all the time for surfing trips. Reportedly great waves, cheap restaurants, and nightlife freedom. Also, what if you don't dig the food or the folks on the boat? They already have $1,200 of your bread if you decide to bail after a week. Pricey gamble if you ask me.
Old 20-08-2015, 15:53   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well my last surf trip to Maldives was around $3000 food and accommodation for 10 days. Boat trips are expensive as well and as far as hiring a car and plebbing around looking for uncrowded surf in Bali....I guess you have to be a surfer to know the difference.
Old 20-08-2015, 17:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Well my last surf trip to Maldives was around $3000 food and accommodation for 10 days. Boat trips are expensive as well and as far as hiring a car and plebbing around looking for uncrowded surf in Bali....I guess you have to be a surfer to know the difference.
Either that, or go with your pals who already know the hot surf spots, the local hangouts, and where to find great food. Round-trip flight to Bali: $300; daily car rental: $10; board: $0 (friend has a loaner). No need to be stuck on a boat. To each, his/her own.
Old 20-08-2015, 22:43   #21

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Give me the boat option any day.
About to go to Bali for the 3rd surf trip this year. Traffic now is crazy as is the chance of uncrowded waves.
Not as cheap as it was even only 2 years ago.
The idea of surfing with packs of 10-15 Japs is not that great to me.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-08-2015, 22:58   #22

Boat: between boats

Keith you are living the dream mate. On day I might get a chance to join you but not this year sadly. great vids. how were the crowds this year - was told they were down a bit?
Old 20-08-2015, 23:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
The idea of surfing with packs of ... Japs is not that great to me.
One of your colloquial expressions, I assume.
Old 21-08-2015, 00:02   #24

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Thanks Dirkdog and Barra!
Thanks for your very kind words!

I am not paying someone to use my boat for 7 weeks. Surfing every day and unlimited food just so I can get 4 days of help sailing our yacht back to Phuket.
My wife insists that I get some help for the night passages. So that is the trade off. If we are going to go into counting the apples and mandarins eaten and cost and payment then forget it!
The charters here are around $5000 to $6000 for 10 nights out and they are very good. We just ask for some money up front to make it easier when provisioning and scare off the free loaders and backpackers and dreamers. It's a bargain of the year if you want to live in paradise?

Me... I have just come back from a morning surf at Lagundri Bay with my crew and 4 other surfers. Glassy right handers. After lunch, which I cooked, 6 poached eggs on 3 slices of home made wholemeal bread each, which I cooked. We are going skin diving out at the bay entrance to spear another maori sea perch to have for dinner.

Caught 70 litres of rain this morning in a dawn squall and can now wash the sheets as my wife flies back into Nias on Monday. Yaaaaa !!

I wonder what the critics section is doing?
Cheers from Keith and Austin aboard Surfmachine. Doing it tough in Lagundri Bay.

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-08-2015, 02:45   #25

Keith-

I think it is all good and you look like a really fun guy with a generous offer to live the dream too.

I am going to have to pass-

as their are no softer wave options for an intermediate older surfer, I see you are the hell-man with the helmet charging the big ones......good on ya!

how do you get past the 30 Indo visa?

October could be pretty quiet with less boats too

C-man
Old 21-08-2015, 13:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
The charters here are around $5000 to $6000 for 10 nights out
No offense, but WOW! That's pricey surfing. Used to live in LA, and surfing Malibu and El Porto was .... tic/toc .... free.

$500-$600 per day for 10 days of surfing? That's a five star hotel. Who pays that to surf from a boat? Who pays that, anyway? Interesting.
Old 21-08-2015, 15:09   #27

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
One of your colloquial expressions, I assume.

Well given they pay locals to call them into waves and stop other surfers catching any its not a lot of fun

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2015, 15:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post
Keith-

I think it is all good and you look like a really fun guy with a generous offer to live the dream too.
I totally agree. You seem like a really gene rouse and happy guy and if I was interested in a surfing trip you would already have my money.

Too many wingers these days calling it a "charter boat trip".

Anyone should realise that going on a paid surf trip would cost many more than that, and you are likely packed into bunk beds... Not my style.

Hopefully I will realise my dream before too long and I can pull up next to you in my boat and we can share a beer. I think your surfing skills would put me to shame, lol.
Old 01-09-2015, 00:49   #29

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Hi guys. Four charter boats in the bay of plenty in the Banyak Islands for the last two days as the swell is too big for anywhere else.
12 people on each. Google the dream pulse series naves tar and see what a 12 day package gets you and for how much. Add in return air fares and hotel in mean and three new surfboards!
On surfmachine you stay for 2 months. So all those other costs are a lot less for the whole trip. Can you live at home for that?

Spent last week two days sailing. Rest surfing perfect glassy big right handers and huge left handers. Mainly just the two of us. Spend a lot of time spear fishing and the chicken is staying in the freezer. Fresh fish every night.

Cheers from Keith and Rebecca and Austin aboard Surfmachine In Sumatra!

Surfmachine-surfmachine.blogspot.com.au

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-09-2015, 19:08   #30

Scored lots of good surf here on Bali now big swell with super moon c-man

Tags
crew, wanted, crew wanted, Indonesia