Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 11:21   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
October 2015 Delivery From Seattle To Portland

I am moving my 49' Taswell to Portland. I would like an experienced sailor to accompany my wife and I. Looking for a good weather window. I expect it to take 3 - 4 days.

I will share additional details with interested parties.

Thanks
Randy
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24   #2

Re: October 2015 Delivery from Seattle to Portland

Hi, Randy,

I did the opposite run in May, delivering a Tayana 37 from Ilwaco to LaConner. I'd be interested in talking with you about crewing for you.

Terry Ney
tney88@gmail.com
Com-Pac 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

I am moving my 49' Taswell to Portland. I would like an experienced sailor to accompany my wife and I. Looking for a good weather window. I expect it to take 3 - 4 days.

I will share additional details with interested parties.

Thanks
Randy
Old 06-10-2015, 13:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: October 2015 Delivery From Seattle To Portland

I do this trip all the time. (into double digits around Cape Flattery and the Columbia bank now) A steely weather eye and the ability to sit in Neah bay until the proper weather opens up is crucial. We did Neah to Astoria in 33 hours 3 weeks ago. I am tied up, I could ask my first mate. He is as good a sailor as you would find.
Go/no go
Are the swells going to be over 10 feet? (including the wind waves)
Is the wind coming from the south?
Are there going to be large swells going opposite of tides at Cape Flattery or Columbia bank?

Enter Columbia bank on a flood- mid flood is best.
Expect everything from no wind to a Gale when the forecast says 12kts and pleasant.
Plan on two days and nights out on the ocean, have a crew that will wait until the timing is right to enter the bank.
Listen to the coasties.
You can do it, just wait for the right weather. I use Sailflow and Cape Elizabeth and Columbia Bank bouys. 48 hour forecast is pretty good.
Old 06-10-2015, 20:17   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

Sent a PM, Just did the trip up and back.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:10   #5

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I did it 2 years ago in October and with a good weather window encountered over 50 kts and the biggest breaking seas I have seen in my 40 years owning sailboats on the ocean. and over 40 kts for 2 days after the 1st day. We logged 336 miles in 48 hours on a Cape George 36. Quite exhilarating, so be careful, and that Neah Bay advice is good stuff, but we did just that, and still had a lumpy go.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:33   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I did it 2 years ago in October and with a good weather window encountered over 50 kts and the biggest breaking seas I have seen in my 40 years owning sailboats on the ocean. and over 40 kts for 2 days after the 1st day. We logged 336 miles in 48 hours on a Cape George 36. Quite exhilarating, so be careful, and that Neah Bay advice is good stuff, but we did just that, and still had a lumpy go.
Its stories like yours that scare the poop right out of me. I am always careful, but when am I going to get in seas like you describe? Hopefully never. But I never underestimate the weather out there. I will see it if I am out there long enough.
Old 07-10-2015, 14:58   #7

Boat: Taswell 49

Just wondering what level of trust you have with the live buoy weather data. I have always thought buoy info is more reliable than forecasts.

Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I trust the buoys now- but I like the forecasts of what they are going to be doing once I pass them. It is interesting to see what the forecast is a couple of days in advance, and see how accurate it was by checking the bouy data for that forecast time. I tend to trust forecasts for about 48 hours...
Although I can show you some wild misforecasts...like the time we got into Neah Bay just in time for waterspout formation (ha ha). At least they gave us 30 minutes (vhf) heads up on that one...

Tags
delivery, portland, seattle