I do this trip all the time. (into double digits around Cape Flattery and the Columbia
bank now) A steely weather eye and the ability to sit in Neah bay until the proper weather opens up is crucial. We did Neah to Astoria in 33 hours 3 weeks ago. I am tied up, I could ask my first mate. He is as good a sailor as you would find.
Are the swells going to be over 10 feet? (including the wind
Is the wind
coming from the south?
Are there going to be large swells going opposite of tides at Cape Flattery or Columbia
Enter Columbia bank on a flood- mid flood is best.
Expect everything from no wind to a Gale when the forecast
says 12kts and pleasant.
Plan on two days and nights out on the ocean, have a crew that will wait until the timing is right to enter the bank.
Listen to the coasties.
You can do it, just wait for the right weather. I use Sailflow and Cape Elizabeth and Columbia Bank bouys. 48 hour forecast
is pretty good.