Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 12:58   #1

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Norfolk to St. Kitts - How Much for Crew ?

How much could I expect to pay for someone/crew to make that delivery on a 47' cat. What size crew would be minimun 3 or 4. Iam looking for general ideas on the costs. I may plan on next year winiterizing the boat by sending it south for the cold months then go meet it and spend all my vacation there enjoying life.

Then trying the Caribbean 1500 may be a way to use some of the vacation time.
Old 08-12-2010, 13:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Contessa OOD34
Hi there,

Can you please email me at: craigcuff :at: hotmail :dot: com and I will provide a quote for you.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 08-12-2010, 17:45   #3

I left Camden on a 47' cat recently with 5 aboard. 3 of them were soon seasick and two of those were hypothermic. Lost the bowsprit and owner popped the EPIRB, so we made it as far as Nantucket. (Tow compliments of the Coast Guard)
If, as the owner, you aren't heavy in experience,hire a professional skipper, have him provide crew, and if you want to really learn, sign on as crew yourself.
The above boat would be in St. Martin now if the owner had done that...
Old 08-12-2010, 18:25   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I would think a plane ticket and food would do it for a lot of competent crew. There are good people out there looking for offshore experience. I did it last November on a 46' cat from Cape May to Fort Lauderdale. I bought my own plane ticket for that one and was happy to spend a week sailing. The other crew member has done the same trip now several times. So, it cost the owner maybe $200 for the week for me.
Old 08-12-2010, 20:02   #5

My problem is the time, I'd rather spend the 2-3 weeks a year I have off short hopping the islands and relaxing anchored off a nice beach mixed with some scuba diving. So I can find a good captain for hire and try to get "free"(except for food) crew that the captain can agree to. I know a couple of people that have volunteered to go when I want to. The more I think about it though the Caribbean 1500 sounds appealing.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Seaking, I would be interested in talking to you about about delivering your catamaran. I can provide credentials, references from previous deliveries, and other info. My contact info can be found in my forum profile, Scott
Old 09-12-2010, 11:28   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've done the Caribbean 1500 three times and the Bermuda Rally once. It's a fun way to make the run down to Tortola. If you haven't sailed offshore before, the Cruising Rally Association runs some offshore sailing seminars, which can help you get your arms around what you need to do to be prepared.

If you do decide to go with the Carib1500, they maintain a volunteer crew list of experienced sailors, most of whom have done the passage before. Sign up early for best pickings. Typically, you'd pay for onboard expenses and the crew would handle their own transportation to and from the boat, as well as any shore-side expenses like food/liquor costs while in Hampton and Road Town. If you want to be generous, spring for the plane tickets.

Where do you plan to keep your boat in St. Kitts?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:42   #8

you might want to talk to Hank at www.sailopo.com. He is knowledgable and can point you to the right direction.
Old 09-12-2010, 18:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

Where do you plan to keep your boat in St. Kitts?
I lived and worked there for almost 4 years and have several good friends there. One of those friends is in the marine construction business and will take care of the boat for me.

This idea is only in early planning stages, I will strongly consider taking the boat down myself in the 1500 if vacation time permits. I know a few people with experience that would go but it is just my vacation time is planned differently at this time.
Old 09-12-2010, 20:23   #10

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
We delivered a Salina 48 across with three aboard, three on, six off. Having four aboard would be a vacation.

If considering a professional delivery team, it gets expensive quick. Figure airfares to and from the boat, provisions, boat expenses, and whatever compensation you negotiate. Captains can range anywhere from $250-500+ per day. Crew from $50-150 per day.
Old 13-12-2010, 21:01   #11

Hey there,
I'm just wondering if anything is transpiring on this idea to winterize your boat. I'm trying to find a ride down from the east coast to Puerto Rico where I will be winterizing myself. I have a lot of sailing experience, growing up on a boat down in the VI, and having done several long passages. While no where near an expert crewmember, I would learn quickly and work hard. Wondering about the possibility of being dropped in Puerto Rico, and asking nothing but passage to there. Let me know if this would be a possibility. Thanks.
Michelle
Old 15-12-2010, 18:59   #12

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53' Challenge
Hi, I've got a 50T and about 60K miles of ocean work in sailboats. If you'd like have a captain on board for that trip let me know my rate is $250 plus expenses, I'll take care of getting crew and stocking to boat. You are of course welcome to come along it is great fun to teach as we go. I can be reached at richard03801 at yahoo dot com.
Old 16-12-2010, 14:25   #13
FAM

Details

Hi I have the information you need, but it's a little late. Let me know if you still need to know.

Contact me at gwbrock :at: uky :dot: edu -Greg Brock