Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 42'westsail Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to bluesphere
Watermaker and Refrigeration Parts

Hi guys,

I just rebuilt a little 3.5 HP Kubota that is running a 60 amp alternator, and will run my refrigeration compressor and a watermaker. It only uses 1/8 of a gallon of diesel an hour, I love it

I have a cat 230 pump (2.3 GPM) that I will run off of a 12v AC clutch. I know I'll have to buy new mambrane / membranes but I'm looking for everything else. If you have an old non working watermaker for parts please let me know.

I'm also looking for 12v refrigeration parts. I have holding plates in my box (about 10 CF) and want a twelve volt system as well as my engine driven compressor.

Thanks

Alex Dorsey
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Hi Alex, welcome aboard. I've followed your travels a bit online. You should post a bit more about yourself here on CF for the many folks here that probably don't know who you are. I'm sure they would find your story interesting.
As far as watermaker parts, put up a list of the parts you need. You have a good chance of finding them here.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27   #3

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesphere
Hi guys,

I just rebuilt a little 3.5 HP Kubota that is running a 60 amp alternator, and will run my refrigeration compressor and a watermaker. It only uses 1/8 of a gallon of diesel an hour, I love it

I have a cat 230 pump (2.3 GPM) that I will run off of a 12v AC clutch. I know I'll have to buy new mambrane / membranes but I'm looking for everything else. If you have an old non working watermaker for parts please let me know.

I'm also looking for 12v refrigeration parts. I have holding plates in my box (about 10 CF) and want a twelve volt system as well as my engine driven compressor.

Thanks

Alex Dorseyhttp://www.projectbluesphere.com
Where are ya, Alex? I have a whole, brand new but has been sitting around for a while Adler Barbor cold plate Super Cold Machine in the box here in New Jersey to sell. Haven't advertised it yet, but I am familiar with your work... You can email me at: nomasfilms@gmail.com Thanks, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 42'westsail Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to bluesphere
Chris,
I sent you an email.

Tellie,
thanks for the advice, I dont really know my way around the fourm too well yet
Old 19-01-2011, 11:16   #5

Boat: Swan-43 Cygnus
Alex, have a Adler Barbour Cold Machine Mod. DCM-12L the base measures 10X14X8. The cold box has a top cover and a vertical model 6X14X12. It's been a spare and had very little usage. Asking $375 Don
Old 19-01-2011, 12:08   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I would be surprised it a 3.5hp engine can run an alternator, a CAT 230 pump and a reefer compressor.

It seems like a lot to ask of the engine.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-01-2011, 13:12   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Just a suggestion on the Cat 230--- ! The pump has a brass head that should be flushed with fresh water after every use or it will not last. Not sure how you plan to drive the pump because you mentioned a 12vdc clutch. If you're thinking about a direct or belt drive that the pump is designed for such as from an engine, remember the pump's RPM limitations (1725) along with the membrane concentrate limits. Also remember the output is a direct relationship to RPM. Half rated RPM will yield half the water flow or 1.15g/min. Be sure the membrane you select can operate with what ever flow rate you intend to provide. A SW-2540 has a minimum concentrate requirement of 1 gal/min. Good luck---nice to see others trying!!!

Foggy

Tags
watermaker