Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 01:24   #1

Boat: none at this time, wait another hour
Perkins 4-107, a real one with 300 hours on

Perkins 4107 Marine diesel, freshwater cooled, approximately 300 hours on rebuild, runs like a top, oil pressure 50 pounds, absolutely no smoke, starts quick and easy,repainted with two-part aircraft grade self etching primer covered with Marine grade polyethylene, e-mail with phone number for more info or call 407-399-4356 which is my cell phone or 360-724-3189 but I'm not there very often so leave a message and I'll call you back.
late-night and weekend calls are no problem, I'm a gerbil or e-mail me at: bkravis@gotsky.com

I have several different transmissions that will work with this engine including: 1 1/2 to 1 Borg-Warner, Hurth HBW 250 -3r, HBW, 2 to 1 completely rebuilt Borg-Warner.
comes with dampener plate installed which will fit either the Borg-Warner or Hurth transmissions.

here is a link of this motor doing a cold start:

https://picasaweb.google.com/zoomspl...eat=directlink

there's quite a story connected with this motor too long to put here but give me a call and I'll tell you about it.

I accept PayPal or cash only, shipping can be arranged for my location or you're welcome to set up your own shipping or you're welcome to pick it up yourself, if you're within a reasonable range I'll deliver it for free or if you're little ways away give me my fuel and and buy me lunch and a soda and I'll deliver it anyway.
I can arrange shipping through freight company here or you can arrange it on your end.
You're also welcome to come and see this engine for yourself and hear run, just contact me and set up a time.
Old 30-07-2012, 19:15   #2

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer
Re: Perkins 4-107, a real one with 300 hours on

I'm currently rebuilding my 4-107 and have been wondering what to paint it with. Where do I get two-part aircraft grade self etching primer and Marine grade polyethylene?
Old 31-07-2012, 00:00   #3

you can buy self etching primer in either epoxy or other two parts from your local automotive paint store, the skies the limit on price though so be careful, I buy a lot of my paint surplus from either Boeing or one or the other aircraft manufacturers, you can find people selling this stuff online on places like eBay etc. look around you'll find it. As far as the two-part polyurethane aircraft paint the same goes for it to, remember preparation is everything, if you have noncompatible paint underneath either the primer or the finish coat it won't hold up, it's a good idea to remove everything you can before you paint anything, using a commercial grade paint stripper and a pressure washer is a good idea, I use a hot water steam Jenny pressure washer and the above mentioned stripper then I either use the self etching primer or a strong phosphoric acid solution to etch both the steel, cast-iron and aluminum,keep both the acid and the methylene chloride(paint stripper) away from wires, hoses, or plastic parts, what you want to look for in your paint stripper is the highest amount of methylene chloride, this is a chemical that actually does the work, be very careful with this stuff the higher content methylene chloride strippers will almost instantly destroy soft membranes like eyeballs and will boil your fingernails right off your hand in short order, not to mention what it will do to your sex life if you splash some of this on your trousers and you'll disturb the neighbors with all that screaming.
extremely detrimental to your health in general, lots of fresh air protective clothing,rubber gloves, facemask, face shields etc. but it will remove almost every single spot of paint , primer ,glue oxidation etc. from anything metallic, is also the chemical used in commercial grade carburetor cleaner.
Old 31-07-2012, 00:52   #4

PS.
There are couple other ways you can prepare your engine for a proper paint job that I forgot to mention, one is to have your engine either soda blasted or fine sand blasted, both of these leave your surfaces ready for your primer without etching, this gives you the ability to paint your engines with a standard two-part epoxy primer, no need for a self etching primer.
soda blasting is advantageous as it dissolves in water and causes no problems with bearing surfaces or seals etc. you can use soda with a water pressure washer and a special blasting attachment on the end of your pressure washer wand, if you require more information about this let me know
You can also use MEK, methyl ethyl ketone , not to be confused with methyl ethyl ketone peroxide which is the catalyst used in polyester resin, although chemically they are very similar, MEK over a period of time will even dissolve hardened epoxy resin, the problem comes when trying to keep painted surfaces wet with this chemical as it evaporates quickly,it works well when dealing with small objects that you need to strip where you could soak the object in the MEK or wrap it in a small towel soaked in it. you will still need to chemically etch or use a self etching primer after this.

California has determined that both methyl ethyl ketone and methylene chloride will cause cancer in laboratory rats, what a joke any rat exposed to these chemicals for even a short period of time will be dead long before they develop cancer, either one of them will turn a rat within a period of minutes into disassembled organic plasma of various types,except for the calcium and porcelain in their teeth and bones there would be nothing left sometimes I think we would be better off if a lot of the people that come up with this stuff would perform chemical sterilization on themselves to protect the gene pool :-).

Tags
perkins