Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 15:34   #1

Catamarans on a Budget ... Can It Be Done ?

I am a young pup, 25 years old if you are wondering. I have been working in Alaska 4 years seasonally on a 78 foot whale watching catamaran and am looking into buying a smaller catamaran within the next few years. I of course am looking now trying to read up on what i like and dont like about certain models.

There is one thing that ive been seeing thats killing me. The pricepoint!
As a seasonal worker I am not exactly rolling in money and am looking at spending around 50k at most for my catamaran. I am not too big on a lot of fancy stuff or aesthetics. Id prefer it to look ugly and get me there than look great and be unreliable.

Are there bluewater cats that are smaller that can make the trip from S.E. Alaska to hawaii and back that still have accommodations for a couple that is for 50,000 USD or less or is that a pipe dream? If there are would you mind letting me know the models so i can look into it?

The cats im seeing in this price range are all mostly sport sailing and have no sleeping quarters from what I can see.

any input would be appreciated. I have used the search function and thrown in "cheap" "budget" etc. but havent quite gotten what im looking for.

thank you for your time and i appreciate any of your input.
dallsbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 15:54   #2

Boat: too many
Re: Catamarans on a budget...can it be done?

That price range will make it interesting, but doable. Prout has been making strong cats that hold up longer than anyone else that are blue water capable. Because of the age, you can find one within your budget. If you choose to go mono, there are some really fast ex race boats that have been set up for cruising that fit your budget.

Here is a Prout for around $34K.
1978 Prout Quest - Boats.com

A Snowgoose for $65K, but in today's economy, your $50K would more than likely swing it.
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Pr...e-37/123985831
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 16:08   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Probably any of the Prouts would do. I don't know if you could get a 37' for that price but you could probably pick up a Snowgoose 35 in good shape for that price.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 16:14   #4

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallsbeep
I am a young pup, 25 years old if you are wondering. I have been working in Alaska 4 years seasonally on a 78 foot whale watching catamaran and am looking into buying a smaller catamaran within the next few years. I of course am looking now trying to read up on what i like and dont like about certain models.

There is one thing that ive been seeing thats killing me. The pricepoint!
As a seasonal worker I am not exactly rolling in money and am looking at spending around 50k at most for my catamaran. I am not too big on a lot of fancy stuff or aesthetics. Id prefer it to look ugly and get me there than look great and be unreliable.

Are there bluewater cats that are smaller that can make the trip from S.E. Alaska to hawaii and back that still have accommodations for a couple that is for 50,000 USD or less or is that a pipe dream? If there are would you mind letting me know the models so i can look into it?

The cats im seeing in this price range are all mostly sport sailing and have no sleeping quarters from what I can see.

any input would be appreciated. I have used the search function and thrown in "cheap" "budget" etc. but havent quite gotten what im looking for.

thank you for your time and i appreciate any of your input.
Remember there are always going to be costs post-purchase. Some times the boat is the least expensive part of the purchase.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 16:18   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, at that price range your options will be very limited.

Lot's of good ol' monohulls in that range though. So, why stress your budget for a cat?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 16:22   #6

True Belize, I just feel more comfortable on them because i have worked on them for such a long time. Plus I really like how much room they have. I will be joining a sailing club once i get back up to Juneau and will try out some mono hulls to see if i like them as well.

Another plus to having catamarans is that my girlfriend wouldnt get seasick. which she tends to do on skiffs and such but not on my work boats.
Old 21-03-2012, 17:23   #7

Wharram-design. Simple. sturdy. seaworthy.

My TIKI 21' was the best storm boat I've been on so far. Guy named Rory MacDougall circumnavigated in a TIKI 21' btw (smallest cat to circumnav, I think.)

Wharrams come in bigger sizes, I'm just personally familiar with the TIKI 21.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 17:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallsbeep View Post
True Belize, I just feel more comfortable on them because i have worked on them for such a long time. Plus I really like how much room they have. I will be joining a sailing club once i get back up to Juneau and will try out some mono hulls to see if i like them as well.

Another plus to having catamarans is that my girlfriend wouldnt get seasick. which she tends to do on skiffs and such but not on my work boats.
Yes, I've run charters and cruised on both cats and monos and there does seem to be less tendency for folks to get sea sick on cats. Although, they still do sometime.

Keep in mind though, even with cats, there is a big difference in 70+ feet and 30 something in terms of motion.
Old 21-03-2012, 17:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Wharram-design. Simple. sturdy. seaworthy.

My TIKI 21' was the best storm boat I've been on so far. Guy named Rory MacDougall circumnavigated in a TIKI 21' btw (smallest cat to circumnav, I think.)

Wharrams come in bigger sizes, I'm just personally familiar with the TIKI 21.
Yes, I really like the Wharram's too. In fact, a larger custom built Wharram-based design is what I am thinking about now for the "next boat".

Rory is a friend of mine, he also ran the Jester Challenge not long ago and did quite well in his Tiki. Sea worthy little boats, but rather spartan.

Another friend's Wharram (about 30') just left my dock recently. When he bought it, it needed some work -- more than he realized -- lots of rotten spots. That, and quality of build (mostly home-built), would be my primary concern in buying a used Wharram -- if a wooden boat is not constantly maintained then it heads down hill fast.

That said, many Wharram's can certainly be found in the OP's price range -- just be careful you don't buy yourself a problem.
Old 21-03-2012, 18:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

If you work 6 months a year, consider building your own cat over 2 or so off seasons. I'm building a 34' Wood Vardo design, but something like a Woods Gypsy might be better for a single guy unless you want a full time liveboard. You could probably build a Gypsy in one off season at least enough to go sailing and you could build a larger boat in 2 years if you work long hours. I plan to have under 50K into my 34' boat using a used mast and some other good quality, but second-hand gear.

The honest truth is that building is not for everyone, but a budget cat you buy is likely to be poor performing, Prout older Gemini, etc and still need quite a bit of work.

Cheers,
Jeff
Sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com leave off the blogspot for Woods Website
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 18:32   #11

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

There are probably a lot more older trimarans in that price range than cats that will take you anywhere you want to go.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 19:14   #12

im not too familiar with trimarans sans waht i saw in waterworld :P i will be googling it of course now but in a nutshell what are the advantages and disadvantages of a tri vs. a cat?
Old 21-03-2012, 19:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
There are probably a lot more older trimarans in that price range than cats that will take you anywhere you want to go.
Steve.
True, lots of old Cross trimarans out there. Have never sailed a Cross, but have seen a number of them out cruising...so they obviously got there.
Old 21-03-2012, 19:29   #14

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Main difference is tris have less accomodation.
Old 22-03-2012, 02:03   #15
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Have a look at Heavenly Twins.
Sturdy, small and seaworthy and have circumnavigated.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget