Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41   #46

Boat: Hunter 426
Re: Nantai 37 Aft Cockpit - Girlfriend Had Enough.....

How`s the bottom? Is the water line changing? Does she point well into the wind or does she seem to sag? Are there any strange things in the head and does the bilge pump have good suction? Does she run hot or cold?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinekling View Post
I've been getting lots of laughs this morning reading all these posts giving manly relationship advice.
I think a lot of the manly advice is tongue in cheek and playing with own stereotype (oooerr ) - at least I hope so .

Quote:
I think one reason we see this situation repeated over and over – he likes sailing but she doesn't – is first because none of us likes to do things we don't feel competent at and second women are natural nesters and home builders, and they like to feel that the place where they live has their mark, is of their design.
I think you might have missed the half of the thread giving womanly advice..........that the above is not true .

Quote:
I lived aboard two different boats during 20 years of marriage, even one that we built and designed together, but my husband never stopped referring to our boat as "my boat." He thought of it that way and squeezed me out of decisions more often than not. The more experience I got, the more often I disagreed with him – but as you can see on these forums, getting two sailors to agree on just about anything is tough.

Now I have my own boat and I can do what I want, go where I choose. I know I don't ever want to go back to being cook, cleaner and passenger. I don't know if the co-captain thing is even possible.
That's not an easy one to deal with - if it is a problem then your answer is probably the only one (if the position was reversed it would certainly get on my tits, inside a month ). Of course for others it would not be a problem, for either party.....it was a problem for you because you are special .

Quote:
I do know that if I ever got serious with a guy, it would have to be an "our boat," which would probably mean having to sell both our boats and get something together, because if you move onto his boat, it will always be his boat.
Or you meet a fella who is quite happy to be on your boat, with you as Captain.

Plenty of us lazy...err.....I mean enlightened fellas around . We are just rather shy and sensitive souls that need to be coaxed aboard with a trail of beer and a sniff or 2 of........the right woman .

FWIW I am known for being in touch with my inner female side Downside is that it gets me thrown off public transport quite a lot
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24   #48

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine kling View Post
I've been getting lots of laughs this morning reading all these posts giving manly relationship advice.

I think one reason we see this situation repeated over and over – he likes sailing but she doesn't – is first because none of us likes to do things we don't feel competent at and second women are natural nesters and home builders, and they like to feel that the place where they live has their mark, is of their design. I lived aboard two different boats during 20 years of marriage, even one that we built and designed together, but my husband never stopped referring to our boat as "my boat." He thought of it that way and squeezed me out of decisions more often than not. The more experience I got, the more often I disagreed with him – but as you can see on these forums, getting two sailors to agree on just about anything is tough.

Now I have my own boat and I can do what I want, go where I choose. I know I don't ever want to go back to being cook, cleaner and passenger. I don't know if the co-captain thing is even possible. I do know that if I ever got serious with a guy, it would have to be an "our boat," which would probably mean having to sell both our boats and get something together, because if you move onto his boat, it will always be his boat.
That's fine, I'll buy my boat and then it can be our boat. She'll do the Caribbean no problem, she's just worried about from The Canal to the South Pacific. I'm not selfish and I like her input, but I'm not going to compromise on this. I'm going. She can either come with me or stay at home and I'll fly her out to the SP later. I'm not going to tell this guy what to do. What's good for him and his GF and what's good for my wife and I are two different things. I wish him luck. Sam
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesailor View Post
It was her or the girlfriend and I think I can get more for the boat....

...what leads you to believe the demands will stop there?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20   #50

Boat: Columbia 41

It's a matter of interpersonal economics; supply and demand. The woman controls the supply. The man can barely control the demand. However, the man controls 100% of the supply of the boat. The woman doesn't like competition. She wants to maintain a monopoly of supply. So she says, no boat. Do not be PW Tell her, WTF.
Old 12-02-2012, 13:08   #51

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Twenty-nine years of marriage have taught me, slowly and painfully, that it's just better to do what your wife tells you to do.

However, it occurs to me that the original poster does not have a wife, or at least that he is not sailing with her. Then why the hell is he letting this woman tell him what to do with his boat?
Old 12-02-2012, 14:12   #52

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Twenty-nine years of marriage have taught me, slowly and painfully, that it's just better to do what your wife tells you to do.

However, it occurs to me that the original poster does not have a wife, or at least that he is not sailing with her. Then why the hell is he letting this woman tell him what to do with his boat?
Wondered the same thing.
Old 12-02-2012, 14:21   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post

This is 2012, i know as many men living with girlfriends as wives so the distinction is not relevant.

But ROFL, the OP did not ask for advice as to which asset he should let go. He came on to a forum with a vocal population of posters who winge about the "Nana State" is is told that he should keep his boat and dump the GF. WTF, posters are TELLING him what he should do when none of us know the FACTS which is the business of the OP & GF. There are double standards at play here. The OP disclosed the view of the GF as the reason why the boat is for sale,, period.

OP, has the boat sold yet?
Old 12-02-2012, 14:53   #54

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

If you look at the OP's earlier posts, it sounds like they jointly own the boat, which makes matters slightly more complicated
Old 12-02-2012, 14:59   #55

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
If you look at the OP's earlier posts, it sounds like they jointly own the boat, which makes matters slightly more complicated
...Oh...so two mistakes...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-02-2012, 15:02   #56

[QUOTE="justwaiting"]

This is 2012, i know as many men living with girlfriends as wives so the distinction is not relevant.

Distinction is relevant. GF is cheaper to ditch than a wife.....FACT!
Old 12-02-2012, 16:26   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

[QUOTE=DJBrookster;885494]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting

Distinction is relevant. GF is cheaper to ditch than a wife.....FACT!
Depends on the jurisdiction and length of time they lived together.

Trust me, I'm in one that doesn't distinguish after 2 years on property settlement, and 1 year on income tax.
Old 12-02-2012, 17:08   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: nantai 37

yes. the boat is still for sale....
and i still haven't changed my mind. i keep the girl. even if we're not married. lol!!!!!!
so, anyone interested in the boat.....? :-)
Old 16-02-2012, 12:16   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: nantai 37
Re: Nantai 37 Aft Cockpit - Girlfriend Had Enough ...

i posted some more pictures of the boat here. check it out!
no, of the boat, not of my girlfriend!!!!

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scub...Islands/xanadu
Old 16-02-2012, 12:29   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nantai 37 Aft Cockpit - Girlfriend Had Enough ...

Ram.... from the pic's I'd say she's fine to cross the 'Pond' as is...
No need to spend a fortune.. unless you need extra's...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.

Tags
cockpit