Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 16:01   #1

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42
Need Sailing Info on 37' 1978 Nantai Palm Beach

Does anyone have any experience with this boat.. 37' 1978 Nantai Palm Beach

Looking for a liveaboard, just me for now. Have not seen anything on these or how well it sails.
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:37   #2

Re: Need Sailing Info on 37' 1978 Nantai Palm Beach

This is a first 57 looks and no responces yet... Are they not well known?/
Issues.... someone..
Old 15-09-2011, 10:22   #3

Boat: Boatless

It looks like a typical late 70's Taiwan boat. It has a modified fin keel and will, by today's standards, over built but very seaworthy. Which incidently describes the boat I live on, we don't sail fast in light air but in gales we are very comfortable

It will sail fine in winds over 12 knots.

It will be a good boat for the ICW, Florida, Bahamas and the Islands. If you are looking at the boat on Yachtworld that has a gen and A/C it will be a good livaboard.

And I have never heard of them!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 15:53   #4

Thats it was wondering, not seen anything on them.
Old 15-09-2011, 16:16   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrigger View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this boat.. 37' 1978 Nantai Palm Beach

Looking for a liveaboard, just me for now. Have not seen anything on these or how well it sails.
A little while back one of the CF members was looking for a boat and I was helping them look...they were in Fla. shopping. When I spoke with them last they said that they had bought a Nantai 37..I have there info somewhere ..will try to find it and forward same to you if it will help..DVC...PS good looking boats... good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 17:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
A little while back one of the CF members was looking for a boat and I was helping them look...they were in Fla. shopping. When I spoke with them last they said that they had bought a Nantai 37..I have there info somewhere ..will try to find it and forward same to you if it will help..DVC...PS good looking boats... good luck
Their user name on CF is Newbiesailor thts all I could find..if I locate any more info I will forward it to ya..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 18:57   #7

ty will try to find some more info
Old 13-01-2012, 08:39   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: nantai 37

hello, i just found on the cruisersforum that you looking for some details about a nan tai? and or looking for a liveaboard? we recently bought a nan tai, 37 feet and in the turks and caicos islands with the boat after cruising the bahamas. we are - sadly - considering selling the boat as my better half does not like sailing and the living on the boat, so its her or the boat. i decided to keep her.(not the boat)i had a recent survey done before we bought the boat, if you are interested i can send you some details and infos. as you will see, we bought a new generator-honda- a new compressor for diving, a new outboard engine honda and lots of things and now i have to sell everything.
send me a message per email-
torstenklug@yahoo.com
or smalldiveshop@gmail.com
for details.
regards, torsten klug
newbiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 12:24   #9

Boat: nan tai 37

We have owned, sailed and lived aboard our Nan Tai 37 for 30 years. We are about 2/3 of the way through a total refit and will be leaving for the Baja from Maryland next October.
You need to watch out for the condition of the wiring, hoses, black iron diesel tanks etc. In addition you need to pull up the thin layer of fiberglass overlaying the ballast and reef out the gravel they have added to take up the excess space, then add filler and fiberglass to provide a better solution. The ply backing for the teak is suspect and often needs to be replaced. Further they are subject to leaks in the main hatch as well as both the forward deck hatch and butterfly hatch. Further the cheap formica overhead and cabin sides goes bad quickly and the fix is long hours to remove it and replace with a better solution (we used a naugasoft from Sailright).

The electric panel should be replaced as it contains about 100amp commercial breakers and #8 wiring.

They are great sailing boats unlike other Taiwan boats that are real slugs in light air. Ours has done very well in a variety of conditoins.

Hull is well built, no problems with blisters, but we started out by coating the hull with three coats of epoxy. This time we ground the bottom and used 2 coats of west, then 4 coats of 2000E. The gel will craze in strong UV in 30 years but the hull laminate is excellent.

Replace the cheap bronze thru hulls, poor quality taiwan hose and look over the old MD17C. Ours still runs strong, but parts are getting a bit harder to find.

We lived aboard with two small kids and two cats and survived quite well. Our oldest so lived aboard for two years.

Love the large and shallow cockpit, great for entertaining in port and doesn't pose too much of a problem if a following sea flops aboard, the main hatch is at highest point thus not much of a flooding chance.

Lots and lots of teak, if you don't like teak don't buy this boat!

We put about 6 months of hard work into ours and it is now better than new and far more enjoyable. Better reefer, insulated hull interior and refinished, new plywood backing, new bulkheads aft. Overhead, refininshed teak, new plumbing (pex), new hose to heads and waste tank, new A1 diesel hose etc.

Need more info we'd be more than happy to help.
feitzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing