Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 20:49   #1

Boat: Seafarer 38
WTB 25-50hp diesel in Mexico

We would like to buy a new 25-50hp diesel in Mexico, or potentially a very nice condition low hours Perkins 4108 that is located in Mexico. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 21:48   #2

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: WTB 25-50hp diesel in Mexico

Sorry to hear about your glitch. Have you sought out the best diesel mechs locally and asked them? I find, at least here in La Paz, quite a few good craftsmen and machine shops to get things made up. Best of luck, wish I knew more to be of help.
Old 06-05-2012, 21:55   #3

Thanks. There is a softball sized hole in the block. A mechanic here said he could weld it and rebuild, but I don't think it's wise to invest money in welding oil saturated cast iron. We have also fought this engine lately and I am sick of it. If I could get one imported cheaply enough, I would just buy a Beta Marine or Yanmar on the smaller side to save cash and be on my way. I may still end up going that route if I can't work out something else more quickly here.
Old 06-05-2012, 22:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by engele
We would like to buy a new 25-50hp diesel in Mexico, or potentially a very nice condition low hours Perkins 4108 that is located in Mexico. Thanks.
Dang. That sucks. Wish I could offer more than sympathy.

Thanks a big hit to the kitty. Good luck on finding a cost effective solution.

Have you looked this site? http://www.dieselenginemotor.com/man...rkins/100.html

It looks like they offer brokering service. There is a listing from Dec 2011 that might still be there...
Old 06-05-2012, 22:53   #5

Yeah. Big hit. I do want to have something that "just works" in there though. I am seriously considering a Beta or new Yanmar if I can talk the prices low enough. Thanks Ex. The "new" Perkins on that listing says "low hours", and after our last supposedly rebuilt job, I am leery unless it is from a place that does a lot like TAD or Folley (though I don't know about either of their reps aside from them being big).
Old 06-05-2012, 23:38   #6

Have you considered a VW diesel ? Not sure of a transmission connection though. In Mexico, you would think, there would be several available in the salvage yards. They are easily converted to marine application and seem to run forever. The last one I had ran for 20 years with no problems and was running when I sold it. Last time I looked on the Web there was a company in the states that was making new larger horsepower units on the same block design. Maybe an option that you could live with at an affordable price. Good Luck
Old 06-05-2012, 23:44   #7

I think it would be tough to do a conversion project where we are at.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sad to hear you having trouble with engine. have you found one yet??? doing a conversion is a b***h at best, and doing one underway would really be a bad time.
i hope it all works out for ye--had fun partying with ye when we met--yes i do remember--i just get yer name messed u a lil..silver linings!! where exactly are ye--flysci had to have hers rebuilt in panama...
i hope repair/replace goes well for ye.
smooth sailing.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23   #9

We are at the new marina in Puerto Chiapas Madero. It's a very nice facility and Enrique and his crew are very helpful. It's a great little stop on the way here. We had planned to be in Fonseca by now, but hopefully soon.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28   #10

how are rates and haulout?? is hauling there a viable option for folks sailing south?
do you have a summer rate schedule?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:50   #11

They will not have their new travel lift until September, but they should be an excellent place to haul out on the way south (or north for that matter). I do not know what the proposed haul out rates will be. They have a special summer moorage rate of $200/month from June. It is a very good facility for storage or hauling out. They have plans to make the marina an easy place to travel inland from as well. With its location right across the Tehuanipec and the willingness of the staff to assist with the zarpe paperwork, it is now a legitimate place to check in and out of Mexico (though Huatulco is pretty easy.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55   #12

love the 200 buxamonth rate--that rocks--now to just get there...LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05   #13

A few things are tough. It is far from town. The easiest (and cheapest) way to go into town is via a "combi" colectivo (16 pesos), but they are not on a standard schedule. The orange colectivo taxis are just a little more expensive (20 pesos). A standard taxi is 100-150 pesos.

All of this makes the logistics of a town run a bit daunting, but still doable. The marina plans to have onsite laundry, but doesn't yet, and they also plan to have a little store for basic groceries and provisioning. It is a nice facility and the restaurant is excellent, if expensive. I would recommend the marina now for its basic facilities, but there is no question it will be really nice when complete. They are working daily on construction projects. There are tennis courts (nets are not installed yet though), and the swimming pool will go in soon in front of the restaurant.