Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2011, 08:02   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Of course you can find what you want, and more, in places like Trinidad, Venezuela, Colombia. The thing to carefully check is the passports and visa requirements.... and language as you being able to understand them and vice versa.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 20-12-2011, 09:01   #17

Re: Looking for Cruising Nanny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
...I think you should consider Rebel Heart he’s already said he would do the job !
Rebel Heart is not 18+ female!
Old 20-12-2011, 09:01   #18

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I agree this is a pretty tall order. I might have taken a job like this back when I got out of college. I think I would in addition to other requirements place have a term of contract so she doesn't use you as a free taxi to a warm destination and some sort of ethical behavior requirement. If you want a role model I think those may also be important. I wouldn't want my nanny bringing yesterday's tour guide back for a night of partying. I would also want my potential employer who was taking me to far away destinations checked out too. It's a weird world out there no matter your gender.

Having these things may help you streamline the process. Good points above on the mothers permission.

Good luck! SC
Old 20-12-2011, 09:18   #19

Boat: contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Rebel Heart is not 18+ female!
Maybe he could wear a bikini.
Old 20-12-2011, 09:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A second language is one of the things to teach a kid that is done better when they are young - if they also get to use it with a native speaker (onboard and / or ashore)........rather than simply as (another?!) boring subject to get through . Might open up the options by employing a local (to your cruising area) either on school holidays or as a career break - and an intro into the onshore world.

I am told that once you have a 2nd language that the 3rd and 4th are easier.......but me sticks to the old ways of speaking loudly in English .......and only a few very basic bit of pidgin in a few foreign lingos .

In regard to OP, probably already well covered - but in case not / for others.......might need the Mother's permission to get passports for the kids and / or to leave the country - and possibly the Ok from a court if they have been involved along the way.
I'll have to look into the au pair, I didn't realize I put in US passport, they just need a passport or need to be able to get one which in the US means they cant be on probation and what not.

The 7 year olds mother isn't a problem, she sees her kid 2 times a year and it has to be supervised by me. I plan on being in the states during those times which are usually summer and christmas. The 2 year olds mom is going to be the problem, I'm looking for an attorney right now. That's one of the reasons I want a nanny, cause honestly a judge wont take me seriously leaving on a boat with the kids unless there's someone to look after the kids when needed.

This is definitely a huge order to fill and I don't mind bringing someone in from another country as long as they speak relatively good english. I'd love my girls to learn another language while they're young, the closest my 7 year olds school gets is a spanish class every other day.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:17   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Personally you're going to spend more time finding, keeping, convincing a female to do this and constantly repeating the process than it will take to give your daughters the three hours a day to teach them yourself. They don't have to be taught during your sailing hours which will be small compared to non sailing hours. If your boat maintenace is that much perhaps the boats not yet ready. Don't deny yourself one of the most rewarding aspects of rasing a child at sea.
Old 20-12-2011, 12:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Personally you're going to spend more time finding, keeping, convincing a female to do this and constantly repeating the process than it will take to give your daughters the three hours a day to teach them yourself. They don't have to be taught during your sailing hours which will be small compared to non sailing hours. If your boat maintenace is that much perhaps the boats not yet ready. Don't deny yourself one of the most rewarding aspects of rasing a child at sea.
I agree, and after a small transition period I think everything would be a okay doing it on my own. But selling that to my 2nd daughters judge will not be easy. Most people I tell about my dream/soon to be reality, think I'm crazy until they've thought about it for quite a while. People just dont understand and trying to convince someone in a power possition is even harder. It'll be a lot easier to convince the judge if I have a nanny, and if the nanny decides to leave after a month or two I can handle it on my own. If the nanny loves it and is the right fit for the family all the better, who couldn't use an extra hand on a boat, especially when there are two kids onboard, LOL.
Old 20-12-2011, 12:51   #23

Boat: 33ft sloop

In Holland a man gets rarely custody for his two kids already from different mothers. USA might be entirely different nonetheless -I am from a lawyer family - your case is not that particular strong unless you may present a very thorough and convincing woman, who may act as a supervisor over your children. In this particular case a modest 30+ would be a valuable asset.

I believe there must be some woman, single and perhaps looking for an opportunity to get away for some time.
If she plays ball, you might have a defendable case as long you are capable to explain what the reason is for your sailing urge rather than grow up your two very minor daughters.
Two failed relationships - for whatever reason - is no stable argument for a judge to give you the slip unless some serious approach may be presented to balance a decision in your favour.

The best of luck.
Old 20-12-2011, 14:05   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

Boy what an interesting thread, Members give lots of input on a subject that has no black or white to it, just shades of grey, As a father who broughtr up three boys on my own, I say stay at home until they are older, they need stability not mobility,

It seems hard to get a reply on connnecting a macerator but the boys all have lots of ideas on this topic,

Wow how the world spins.

Goods luck
Old 20-12-2011, 14:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
In Holland a man gets rarely custody for his two kids already from different mothers. USA might be entirely different nonetheless -I am from a lawyer family - your case is not that particular strong unless you may present a very thorough and convincing woman, who may act as a supervisor over your children. In this particular case a modest 30+ would be a valuable asset.

I believe there must be some woman, single and perhaps looking for an opportunity to get away for some time.
If she plays ball, you might have a defendable case as long you are capable to explain what the reason is for your sailing urge rather than grow up your two very minor daughters.
Two failed relationships - for whatever reason - is no stable argument for a judge to give you the slip unless some serious approach may be presented to balance a decision in your favour.

The best of luck.

I already have full custody of my 7 year old, and I'm not really seeking full custody of my 2 year old, just shared custody with a month on a month off, I believe that to be the most fair for everyone.
Old 20-12-2011, 14:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Boy what an interesting thread, Members give lots of input on a subject that has no black or white to it, just shades of grey, As a father who broughtr up three boys on my own, I say stay at home until they are older, they need stability not mobility,

It seems hard to get a reply on connnecting a macerator but the boys all have lots of ideas on this topic,

Wow how the world spins.

Goods luck

I know everyone has different opinions on raising kids on a boat, stability, what not. I believe my children will benefit from the experience. There are plenty of families who do it, the only difference is I'm a single parent, hopefully with a nanny/au pair.
Old 20-12-2011, 14:33   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Not having children makes me noob on the subject, but from what I see around me on boats with kids, it's the best thing tgat can happen to them. They see some of the world, other cultures, languages, nature, breath clean air, catch their own food, learn responsibility etc.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 20-12-2011, 14:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Not having children makes me noob on the subject, but from what I see around me on boats with kids, it's the best thing tgat can happen to them. They see some of the world, other cultures, languages, nature, breath clean air, catch their own food, learn responsibility etc.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 20-12-2011, 14:52   #29

Boat: CS 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
learn responsibility.

cheers,
Nick.
That part is huge. If had that type of learning I wouldn't be such lazy arse.
Old 20-12-2011, 16:44   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1984 View Post
I agree, and after a small transition period I think everything would be a okay doing it on my own. But selling that to my 2nd daughters judge will not be easy. Most people I tell about my dream/soon to be reality, think I'm crazy until they've thought about it for quite a while. People just dont understand and trying to convince someone in a power possition is even harder. It'll be a lot easier to convince the judge if I have a nanny, and if the nanny decides to leave after a month or two I can handle it on my own. If the nanny loves it and is the right fit for the family all the better, who couldn't use an extra hand on a boat, especially when there are two kids onboard, LOL.

I'm no legal expert, though I do occasionally play one on the boards. But there are a few things I do know something about. One of them is home schooling. We home schooled our daughter to the early dismay of my family of school teachers, later to their amazement. Times are a lot different than they were just ten years ago on this subject. I would suggest you contact your local home schooling community and ask to get in touch with the home schooling state representative. These folks are a wealth of knowledge and dedicated to helping parents who opt for this method of educating their children. The home schooling movement is growing exponentially and local school boards are not only aware of it but in many communities are actively supporting the parents with help, advice and materials. You may be surprised to find that a judge may be far more understanding than you think. Your daughters are very young and not likely to need advice in advance mathematics or chemistry. So you have time. Talk to people who have done this and heed their advice. You are not some new phenomenon that is attempting this. Just find the right people that will support you. I assure you they are out there and closer than you think.

Tags
cruising