Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 20:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
fuel bladder

I am doing an Atlantic crossing and I would like to have a few extra gallons of fuel for the trip. I am looking for a 200 gallon fuel bladder or there abouts. If you have one and are willing to part with it for a reasonable cost, let me know.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:37   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: fuel bladder

Wouldn't it be better to have several smaller fuel bladders so to more readily trim the boat?
Old 04-05-2013, 20:39   #3

I have a almost never used 750L (200gal) bladder in Vancouver BC. You can have it for $300 plus whatever it costs to ship
Old 04-05-2013, 20:39   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Hi Rocketman, can't help you with a used tank but if you end up buying new, take a look at Aero Tec Labs. They make really good tanks that aren't likely to leak.
Here is a link: Aero Tec Laboratories - Aero Tec Labs - Aerotech - ATL - Aerotec - AeroTech Labs, Fuel Cells_Cell, Bladders_Bladder, Bladder Tanks_Tank, Potable Water Bladders, Pillow Tanks_Tank_Containment, Portable Tanks_Tank, Liquid Storage, Collapsible Tanks_Tan

What ever you get, be sure to secure it well. You don't want a 1200 pound blob rolling around on deck.

I knew a fellow who had one strapped on the fore deck of a big sportfish. It got loose, took out his rail and suddenly all his spare fuel was floating along side.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:41   #5

I would love to have several, If you have one let me know, I would like to take 200 gallons of extra fuel. So if you have 2 100 gallon bladders all the better.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:43   #6

I have a 3 state room boat. I am planning on turning on of the state rooms into a fuel room, and supply room. I will not have something sloshing around on the deck. And yes it needs to be leak free.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:50   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a good plan.
Old 04-05-2013, 21:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have you figured out how to transfer the fuel?
Reverso sells some beautiful Italian made gear pumps that are great for fuel transfer.
We are talking diesel?

Back in the seventies and early eighties we sold a lot of bladder tanks. I don't think my Dad ever figured out that it was drug smugglers who were buying them. Bladder tank, transfer pump, chart #410, pay for it with $20's.
Old 04-05-2013, 21:21   #9

I was hoping to put a tee valve in the main fuel line and have a line conected directly to the bladder so I could use the fuel directly out of the fuel bladder. I was hoping to use the fuel in the bladder first then the onboard fuel tank. I hope I don't have to transfer the fuel. Am I missing something here?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a good plan to me. Then when the tank is empty you can roll it up and get it out of the way.
"Am I missing something here?" Do you need a return fuel line?

Tell us about the trip. It sounds like a real adventure.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I was hoping to put a tee valve in the main fuel line and have a line conected directly to the bladder so I could use the fuel directly out of the fuel bladder. I was hoping to use the fuel in the bladder first then the onboard fuel tank. I hope I don't have to transfer the fuel. Am I missing something here?
Ah...Well, if the bladder is to leeward, the main tank will tend to drain down to it to start with; and, the fuel return line will be dumping the excess from your injectors to your main tank, so you can't simply shut down the line to the main tank. It would be wiser to use the aux tank to refill the main tank IMHO. Pray tell, however, why you think you need 200 gals of fuel? That would be about 1200 miles of motoring (ignoring your primary tank) which would seem excessive even if one were to run through the middle of the Bermuda High, No?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42   #12

In order to use fuel directly from the bladder I would have to tee off the return line also, so the return fuel would go back to the bladder. Maybe a transfer pump would be simpler.

After talking to a few veterans of Atlantic crossings, I asked them what were ther primary concerns during the trip. Both told me fuel, water, rig failer, electricity, boat failer, rescue.

So, I asked about bringing extra fuel, and enough fuel to make the trip if something went wrong. Both thought it was a good idea. With 200 gallons of fuel, assuming the engine will run, would eliminate a lot of there concerns. If cought in the duldrums, one could motor most of the way, if the rig failed beyond the half way point, one could motor in. With fuel you can make electricity, or water with the water maker. So best case I would end up at my destination with 200 gallons of fuel to do the rest of my crusing with. With a fuel badder, when it is empty I could stow it away for the next long crossing. Also, nothing says I would need to fill the entire bladder. I could put 50 gallons in if I thought that is all I would need.

Other than having extra weight I see no disadvantage to having extra fuel.

Your comments and views are welcome here. I like to hear your thoughts. I admit I am not experienced at ocean crossings and am always learning.
Old 05-05-2013, 13:59   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've heard pilots say that three useless things when flying are runway behind you, altitude above you and fuel on the ground. I would guess that the fuel part would apply to boating as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 14:07   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you decide to transfer the fuel instead of a direct hook up, you might consider using drums instead of a bladder tank. Probably a lot cheaper. Jabsco makes a transfer fump that is designed to sit on top of a drum.
Here is a link: 24 Volt Diesel Transfer Pump

Carry a lot of cleaning supplies. Even a little diesel spilled in the cabin will smell up the place for a long time.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
In order to use fuel directly from the bladder I would have to tee off the return line also, so the return fuel would go back to the bladder. Maybe a transfer pump would be simpler.

After talking to a few veterans of Atlantic crossings, I asked them what were ther primary concerns during the trip. Both told me fuel, water, rig failer, electricity, boat failer, rescue.

So, I asked about bringing extra fuel, and enough fuel to make the trip if something went wrong. Both thought it was a good idea. With 200 gallons of fuel, assuming the engine will run, would eliminate a lot of there concerns. If cought in the duldrums, one could motor most of the way, if the rig failed beyond the half way point, one could motor in. With fuel you can make electricity, or water with the water maker. So best case I would end up at my destination with 200 gallons of fuel to do the rest of my crusing with. With a fuel badder, when it is empty I could stow it away for the next long crossing. Also, nothing says I would need to fill the entire bladder. I could put 50 gallons in if I thought that is all I would need.

Other than having extra weight I see no disadvantage to having extra fuel.

Your comments and views are welcome here. I like to hear your thoughts. I admit I am not experienced at ocean crossings and am always learning.
There is certainly nothing wrong with carrying extra fuel. Note, however, that an added 200 gallons will weigh in at about 1430 lbs and will require nearly 27 cubic feet of space. A bladder, or even several, will be very difficult to secure in place or to manage in any seaway. A knock-down, tho' a remote possibility, would likely be disastrous.

Several years ago we happened to look at a Beneteau 411 that the owner had modified by adding two 100 gallon bladder tanks for fuel using logic similar to yours but for travel to the Bahamas. He and his wife evidently left Lake Worth in high spirits on their maiden voyage but after a few hours in the Stream the yacht became completely unmanageable, wallowing badly and rolling its guts out and they yelled for help. Seatow finally found them and dragged them back, but into St. Lucie. Once they reached a dock, the wife quit the ship and declared she's never set foot aboard it again. The boat sat there for 9 months before the husband finally put it up for sale. To say the smell was overwhelming is an understatement.

Depending upon your route and time of departure, traversing the Bermuda High could involve much more light air than heavy. Motoring is one option, of course, but investing in light air sails that will work in the event is another that will unburden the yacht. Whatever you do, consider managing the yacht in extremis.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Tags
fuel