Yanmar diesel 2GM
Old 23-01-2016, 03:56   #47

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 15-30hp diesel engine for 27ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
How about something helpful...

Yanmar diesel 2GM
$2,000 for an unknown item that has been "rebuilt?" What type rebuild?

Thanks for the post. (it was very helpful ...) This has been my point exactly!

A totally unknown diesel for $2,000 plus shipping or a 2016 5-6hp 4 stroke outboard for around $1,400 -$1,600/w a five year warranty

https://backbeatsailing.wordpress.co...il-pro-review/

The Mercury Model 5 HP has the 40 oz internal tank as well.

It's your choice.
Old 23-01-2016, 04:47   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The trade off is cleanliness......

Do you want an old leaky, smelly, smoky diesel down below, or a new clean running removable 4 stroke outboard on the stern (or out of site in the aft well)
Sounds like you need more exposure to different diesel installs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_folking_boat View Post
Hi there. I'm new to the forum, and I may have what you are seeking. ...
HA HA!

Love the screen name...

Welcome to CF!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 23-01-2016, 05:08   #49

[QUOTE=HappyMdRSailor;2024684]Sounds like you need more exposure to different diesel installs..... /QUOTE]

No, I pretty much know what an old $1,000 diesel that has been installed looks and smells like. This was the OP's budget

Are you getting confused here with maybe a $6,000 10 HP diesel? Quite a different story

http://www.bukhdiesel.com.au/recons.htm
Old 23-01-2016, 07:09   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
The speed is anywhere from 3 knots against a strong wind and tide to near 6 in favorable conditions. It's usually around 4.5 at 1/2 to 2/3rds throttle. The Bukh 10 diesel would push it at 1 knot into heavy wind and sea with the flat prop that was on the boat when I bought it.. also it would hit the rudder from time to time as you can see

I do not run my outboard at max rpm because it has the standard prop and does no good at that rpm.

Boat speed is up though when sailing with the loss of the 352lb diesel.

I used to race a guy that had an Alberg 30. We would be same speed downwind, but upwind the race was over I'm thinking due to my new main and lighter boat...................and maybe some racing experience.

Biggest drawback. Gas. Also, as Mr. C pointed out it can be a PITA but it helps to keep you fit

Gain. Price, Ease of maintenance, docking, plus very good fuel economy.

With the bracket all the way down (picture on the left) the power head is basically at the height the diesel was.

I was hoping to help this new sailor with his first boat. My boat is my 12th. But I understand learning on your own
Thank YOU SO MUCH for the information. To me, your contribution here is priceless.

Webb Chiles is sailing his Gannet (now in NZ) with only an electric outboard as an auxiliary, Martin Dolecek is also sailing rtw (now in AUS) with an outboard, and the Pardeys, in much bigger boats, actually sailed engine-less. So my thinking is that a small boat that sails well can be safely navigated with only very little need for help from aux motor.

Clearly, as the boat gets bigger, this option expires. But to us, in small boats, we can get sooner, further and faster without a relatively more expensive and heavier, diesel inboard.

Horses for the courses and your experience shows again this can be done.

Cheers,
b.
Old 23-01-2016, 08:25   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Thank YOU SO MUCH for the information. To me, your contribution here is priceless.

Webb Chiles is sailing his Gannet (now in NZ) with only an electric outboard as an auxiliary, Martin Dolecek is also sailing rtw (now in AUS) with an outboard, and the Pardeys, in much bigger boats, actually sailed engine-less. So my thinking is that a small boat that sails well can be safely navigated with only very little need for help from aux motor.

Clearly, as the boat gets bigger, this option expires. But to us, in small boats, we can get sooner, further and faster without a relatively more expensive and heavier, diesel inboard.

Horses for the courses and your experience shows again this can be done.

Cheers,
b.
Thanks.

I just thought I would let the OP know the options available.......for a Bristol 27 or similar size boat.

Another plus of having an outboard is the extra space available with the diesel removed. If you are good working with fiberglass and wood etc, you could really make a nice storage area there.
Old 23-01-2016, 08:38   #52

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Thanks.

I just thought I would let the OP know the options available.......for a Bristol 27 or similar size boat.

Another plus of having an outboard is the extra space available with the diesel removed. If you are good working with fiberglass and wood etc, you could really make a nice storage area there.
This is definitely one reason why I am not in the mode 'I need an engine now' and am willing to wait some time for the right engine.

I have been debating about removing the engine to work on while ashore, for the time being and building a removable platform for storage for the time being. It'd give me the option to be able install another diesel when the price is right or when I get mine up and running.
Old 23-01-2016, 08:48   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
This is definitely one reason why I am not in the mode 'I need an engine now' and am willing to wait some time for the right engine.

I have been debating about removing the engine to work on while ashore, for the time being and building a removable platform for storage for the time being. It'd give me the option to be able install another diesel when the price is right or when I get mine up and running.
I removed and replaced my diesel at the dock the first time. Fixed dock not floating and had to wait for the right tide to swing it over.

I used the boom and the main sheet block.....which I had read about in Tania Aebi's book and wanted to try it
Old 23-01-2016, 11:14   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Thanks.

Clearly, this is also our case: should the diesel go out, the retrieved volume would be roughly 500 liters ... this, in very broad terms, translates into an extra 100 gallon water tank = weeks of trouble free anchoring in remote places on the atolls / off the beaten track. Triple of our present capacity.

I think whoever wants a small diesel will have zero problem finding one. Probably best thing is to replace one for one - no need to adjust mounts, or re run exhaust or any other gear - less work, less cost too. Old VP of our style (MD7) go for up to USD 1500 BUT NOT where we are (Spain). They are easy to buy in say Sweden (home of VP) just the point is we are not in Sweden ...

I think a rebuilt old diesel can be a very good thing, but this my view is pretty much limited to engines like Bukh and old VP rather than the light alloy toys that dominated the lower tier of the market over last 20 or 25 years. Yes, the new diesels are light, etc. but they do not last.

So many engine options. And then one can scull her too.

Cheers,
b.
Old 23-01-2016, 11:45   #55

Boat: Scout 30

There are a lot of advantages to having a diesel instead of an outboard including greater range, larger alternators & safer fuel. I remember a trip we took to an island about 20 miles south of us several years ago. We met some members of a local yacht club there for the weekend. Most were in small outboard powered sailboats in the 23 - 27 foot range plus a couple of larger diesel powered sailboats. We were in our 26' cat-Ketch with an 8 hp Yanmar. The day we came back the wind really kicked up & of course it was straight out of the north. We decided to stay inshore & motor straight back into it, as did everyone else. It was still pretty choppy but nothing like it would have been offshore. It was blowing hard enough that our Avon actually picked up & windmilled behind the boat. The next day we found out that one of the diesel powered boats had towed 2 sailboats back because they couldn't keep their outboards in the water. The others gave up & waited it out.
Old 23-01-2016, 12:19   #56
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Chowder. I sent you a private message. I have a 20 HP Kubota freshwater cooled engine for sale. Located in Vancouver BC

Derick
Old 23-01-2016, 13:56   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
There are a lot of advantages to having a diesel instead of an outboard including greater range, larger alternators & safer fuel. I remember a trip we took to an island about 20 miles south of us several years ago. We met some members of a local yacht club there for the weekend. Most were in small outboard powered sailboats in the 23 - 27 foot range plus a couple of larger diesel powered sailboats. We were in our 26' cat-Ketch with an 8 hp Yanmar. The day we came back the wind really kicked up & of course it was straight out of the north. We decided to stay inshore & motor straight back into it, as did everyone else. It was still pretty choppy but nothing like it would have been offshore. It was blowing hard enough that our Avon actually picked up & windmilled behind the boat. The next day we found out that one of the diesel powered boats had towed 2 sailboats back because they couldn't keep their outboards in the water. The others gave up & waited it out.
Nice story for the local weekenders, but for a normal cruising sailor, wind is good.

If you have a boat such as a Bristol 27 with an outboard (or inboard), why would you use it when you have wind.

Bristol 27's only get decently active when the wind is 17-20 knots or so.
Old 23-01-2016, 14:14   #58

Quote:
Nice story for the local weekenders, but for a normal cruising sailor, wind is good.

If you have a boat such as a Bristol 27 with an outboard (or inboard), why would you use it when you have wind.

Bristol 27's only get decently active when the wind is 17-20 knots or so.

My last boat was a Nacra F-17. Same sail area as my current boat a Bristol 27 with a couple differences. The Nacra weighed 300lbs and had a spinnaker, the Bristol 6600 lbs. The Bristol is a joy when the wind comes up.

Rough day on a Nacra, perfect day for a Bristol 27........

Completely missed the point. With an 8hp diesel we had no problem motoring into a 25 knot headwind. Similar sized sailboats with outboards could not make headway under power in those conditions. Outboards may be a cheaper alternative but they are not a better alternative.
Old 23-01-2016, 14:16   #59

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The problem was not the wind or the engine...the problem was the schedule. The clock and calendar are no friend to the sailor. A big inboard diesel is only one solution to this "problem".
Old 23-01-2016, 14:25   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The problem was not the wind or the engine...the problem was the schedule. The clock and calendar are no friend to the sailor. A big inboard diesel is only one solution to this "problem".
If an 8hp Yanmar is a big diesel what's a small one? It's true that we boat on a schedule, having to work full time, but the schedule that day was no problem for us. We had a great trip back.

Tags
diesel, engine, sail, sailboat