Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2016, 06:39   #1

Winterising Helia 44

Hiya the Helia Community

I've spent some time going through all the threads on the Helia forum and there really is good information on the forum. So, as a newcomer, a thank you for all the information already on the site.

We have sailed our Helia from La Rochelle to Greece and will soon take her out of the water and winterise here in Greece at Cleopatra Marina at Preveza. This is the first time I have winterised a cat.

I have organised for the engines and generator to be flushed and serviced and some 'cosmetic' touch ups. I will also flush the A/Cs and the watermaker.

What tips, suggestions and experiences have you guys had with winterising your Helias and what would you suggest needs to be checked before next season ?

julianvezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:16   #2

Re: Winterising Helia 44

We live in Newport Rhode Island, USA and will be winterizing our Helia 44 soon also.
Engines are easy 5 minute job.
Pull inlet hose off sea cock raise it above engine, put a funnel in end, start engine and pour in 1 gal of antifreeze, shut off engine just before gal of antifreeze is empty.

All other systems are pretty much as manuals show.

Generator has a one way valve at the sea cock. Will have to figure out how to get antifreeze in that and the ball valve sea cock as we leave our boat in the water.

We had a boom winter cover made to allow any snow to slide off the boat.

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:42   #3

Boat: lagoon 380 s2

Hmm. I do the engine a bit differently. Don't pull the inlet hose off. I have a saildrive, so I just shut the intake valve. I open up the sea water strainer, and run engine and start pouring antifreeze in there. Have another person watch exhaust outlet, when they see a good flow of pink stuff, shut down the engine. When boat is on the hard, then open intake valve, you should see pink stuff come out there as well.

I am not sure there are freezing temps in Greece.

@Cotemar, do you take off your mainsail? (I have a thread in the lagoon section trying to figure out how to get the sail off!)

Also, who made your cover, and what material. How does it go over the hardtop. At least on my boat, you can't make a triangle from the boom to the rail where the hardtop is.
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:03   #4

We wrap our mail sail in a tarp and hurricane tie it.
We remove our helm enclosure and ss frame.
We then install a few very tight lines about 8" inches above the now tarped mail sail.
We then install the 3 piece boom tent over the tight lines and tie the bottom down to the toe rail tight lines we installed before hand.
The boom tent is in 3 pieces because it would weight 75 lbs as on piece. The 3 parts zipper together and are 25 lbs each.
Our boom is huge, so putting a cover over it covers most of the boat.

The winter cover was made by:
The Canvas Store
11 Mill Dam Road
Huntington, NY 11743
Phone: 631-549-0970
The Canvas Store - Huntington New York - Providing Boat Canvas, Dodgers, Biminis, Winter Covers and Much More!

Talk to the owner Steve

Material - Top Gun Marine Canvas - Indian Birch (472)

We did the same process on our FP Mahe 36 for 7 years and all went well.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: