Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 23:42   #1
DtM

Helia 44 vs. Orana 44

Revamped Orana
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: New Boat

My guess would be something either revamped Salina or something between Salina and Sanya, eg. a 50-52 feeter.
There is a clear gap in their pruduct portfolio for this size. Orana has been reasonably quite succesful in FP standards (made over 100 in 4 years..) and 50 ft would make more sense.. On the other hand, we know that with Orana FP has lost tremendeous market share to Lagoon 450 and I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with a new 44-45 with a flying bridge..

Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 05:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

As an Orana owner I see the Helia as a Lagoonised version of Orana. Althought we could just see couple of photo and notying else , to me;

plusses: aeration of the saloon which was a problem in Orana has been solved with two front windows. Another problem specific to Orana no hatches over the kitchen has also been solved by moving the kitchen to the port side. The larger windows on the back cabins also is a good idea.
minusses:I didn't like the the new sitting without back rest, the navigation table which is not facing porward but to port side.

The flying bridge which is not clear on the photos seems to be a good compromise keeping the helm station still a bit lower. I couldn't figure out what was for the winch that is on the port side. (spinneaker ??) And lastly, aft the engibne cabin, there are some space that seems to be untilised. It seems that they had just extended the hulls a bit without adding to the usable volume of the boat ??
We can olny see that when we will have more details and layouts..

From marketing point of view I don't think this is the right move for FP. I am sure Orana has lost a lot of market to Lagoon 450 but Orana was still succesful in FP standards. I would put my effort on launching a 50-52 feeter beetween Salina and Sanya which is the size that the Lagoon is absolutely vulnerable: Lagoon 500 is an old model not performing well and a launch of 50 feeter before they renew it could make more sense.
It doesn't surprise me anyway, they have launched Galathea 5 years ago when there was no market for this size and could only sell 5 or 6 so far. And now that the market is there the model is already outdated. Sanya is OK as Eleuthra (larger Athena !!!!) could only sell around 20 over the last 10 years or so. But they desperately and urgently need to put a brand new 50 feeter..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 14:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

You may be right Yeloya, but you know there is probably a larger market out there, of buyers who can afford a 44' boat, and this size is much easier for a couple to maintain, manage around a berth and also fit into a travel lift for the haulout and antifoul. There must be a reason FP have gone ahead and refined this size. I am sure, as more detail is released you will come to see the benefits over the Orana as many of its shortcomings have been addressed. And as you said this is a market/size where their opposition have out sold them.
The Salina 48 has been a great seller here in Australia and now with the Sanya 57 about to arrive here in Sydney am sure FP have great products to offer in the larger boat size/range.

Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 07:22   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Looks like Orana 44 is off the books now for 2012.

Orana 44 for < 2011
Helia 44 for > 2012
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orana44.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	42799  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 04:14   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Very nice.
Is there no more Orana?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 13:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Re: He'lia 44.

The last Orana 44 was sold by Multihull Solutions at the Sydney Boat Show. The He'lia 44 makes its public debut in Cannes next month.We take delivery of a maestro (three cabin ) version next April/ May at the factory in La Rochelle and then a slow sail home.
Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orana