Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55   #76

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieCat View Post
Teri and Lonnie, irie cat (hull#49)
IRIE!!! izz dat you mon? We met you in 2002 remember?
Regards.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05   #77

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Re: Spreaders sail protection

Oliver,
Sorry, no pictures of the sail protection for the spreaders. So I will have to describe it below for you:
I just put a white good-quality duck tape on the sharp edges of the spreader. Presently I know there is a special sail protection tape on the market for this purpose, which might be more durable, and will surely be much more expensive since it's made for sailboats, that always triples the price at least.
Also I put a splittable protection wheel around the front spreader stay, resting on the spreader. This wheel is somewhat small, but it fulfills its function. Bigger wheels are available from Zspars, they are mounted standard on Lagoons and other shipshowever these can not be mounted afterwards. They could easily have been specified as part of the Zspars mast by Fountaine Pajot, I do not understand why they did not do this, those wheels will probably cost just a few euros. And prevent a lot of frustration and warranty costs.
Good luck,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 06:35   #78

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana
IRIE!!! izz dat you mon? We met you in 2002 remember?
Regards.
Where we meet. Check out pgacouple.com n see if its us. We just got da bote in 2007
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 23:02   #79
DtM

Elaine and daniel have sold Hull 29 2gether.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00   #80

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Dtm,

Can you point the new owners to us so we can welcome them and add them to our owners list.

This is what we currently have listed.
Hull#, Log On Name, Owner(s), "Boat Name", Location/Country
29 DtM, Daniel +Elaine, "2gether", Sydney / Australia
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 06:11   #81

Boat: Lagoon L42

Chuck and Michele are no longer owners of hull#103: Normandie
Sold June 2012.
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 19:00   #82

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36

So, we have 1 2/3 3-bladed folding props for sale, if anyone is looking. We started our sailing trip from BVI to NH by stopping in St. Thomas for provisions. While snorkling around, discovered that one of the blades had fallen off on the short trip. Sheesh. We bought 2 used 2-bladed fixed props from two different charter companies. Enough repair to get home! So, we have some prop parts to get rid of.
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37   #83

Boat: Mahe 36 sold

Well we finally took the plunge and bought our Mahe! She is a 2006 3 cabin previously called Jaylea and now Victoria. We've had her moored in Plymouth for about two months now and couldn't be happier. A good part of the decision to settle on a Mahe was the huge amount of info on this forum, so thank you all. We've already sorted a few of the usual gremlins and are gradually working our way through her, learning, fixing and cleaning as we go. Here are a few questions which I can't find answers to-
When we are moored up in a decent blow, say 20 knots or more, we sometimes get a resonance in the rig which, amplified by the hulls, is not very "relaxing". A local rigger suggest it is just the sheer rigidity of the rig which can't loose energy by heeling. Does any one else have experience of this or have any remedies. Slackening the main sheet or topping lift helps a little.
The oven/stove. The work surface above the front of the door gets alarmingly hot! The rubber door seal seems ok, is this just a "feature"?
The previous owner had knocked off a chunk of rubbing strip and had taken delivery of a replacement strip at vast shipping cost from FP but hadn't fitted it. When I came to do so I found it to be a similar but lower profile to the original moulding and also, being new bright silver/grey, didn't match our faded strips. Does any one know of a manufacturer of the same or similar strip which I could replace the whole side with, bearing in mind we are UK based.
Steering. How much free play at the wheel is the norm, I guess we've got 30 degrees?
There you go, I'm sure there will be more but thank you in the meanwhile.

Kim, Jon and Jasmine the dog.

The dolphin in the (hopefully uploaded) picture played for us for over an hour in Plymouth Sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15-143.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	61878   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-Dolphin 138.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	61879  

Name:	07-Dolphin 094.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	61880  
JohnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:19   #84

Community Sponsor

JohnyV,

Welcome aboard the CF and congratulations on your new Mahe.

1) The resonance in the rig & mast is called “Mast Pumping” and it is created from the strong wind blowing over a curved mast at certain angles. It is common on any boat with a curved mast. Slackening the main sheet usually helps the most. Some say wrapping a halyard around the mast, top to bottom every few feet will break the airflow and stop it also, but I have not tried it.

2) The oven/stove work surface above the front of the door gets hot as that is the vent for excess heat and that is normal.

3) If I could not find a good match for that piece of rub strip I would replace the whole strip all the way down the side. FP has been using the same rub strip on all its models for a long time, so I am surprised a factory piece did not match well.
Old 04-06-2013, 14:58   #85

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios

Hi Jon,
Yes congrats, hope you and yours have many happy years onboard!

We have had that resonance and found it can be a couple of things.

1. The main sheet like Cotemar suggested. If I have that really tight the boom seems to hummmm.

2. The stays from the mast, where they touch the lifelines on each side, seem to make this weird vibration sounds that sounds like its coming from the hull. What we did was we cut two pieces of closed cell foam and put around the line where it touches the stay. Just a small section., and it's gone.

So hopefull one of these suggests will fix the issue. We also had a sound coming up from the anchor chain, even when the bridle was being used, but we put a small snubber on and that fixed that.

Cheers
Rozzie
Vaya con Dios
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:02   #86
DtM

Ditto with ease the mainsheet.

If you go up to the topping lift when it happens you can feel it vibrating like a guitar string.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25   #87

Thank you all for your replies. For the first time in forever we've been having beautiful sunny weather so no chance to try the vibration cures, no doubt it won't be too long though, and thinking of bad weather, does any anyone have clear sides for their bimini? There was a bit of discussion on them way back but I can't find much to look at on line to work out the best way to do them.
Also, are the holding tanks always vented into the front locker like ours is? It seems like a daft idea seeing as the locker isn't sealed from the accommodation. Is there any reason not to extend it to another skin fitting?

Cheers, Jon.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:29   #88

Boat: secondarily boatless

Jon,

we had the same very strong "humming" in the rig. On our boat it is the topping lift, and we stopped it by making a wooden support for the boom with a bit of rubber at the top and bottom. When we are at anchor or in a marina we will set this support and loosen the topping lift, and the noise is gone for good.

Enjoy the process - we're a year ahead of you in terms of learning curve...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37   #89

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyV View Post
Are the holding tanks always vented into the front locker like ours is? It seems like a daft idea seeing as the locker isn't sealed from the accommodation. Is there any reason not to extend it to another skin fitting?

Cheers, Jon.
The head sewage tanks have an overflow/vent that goes to a skin fitting just above the boot strap paint as shown in these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sewage Tank detail.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	62315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head tank overflow and vent.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	62316  

Old 12-06-2013, 01:25   #90

Thank you for the pictures Cotemar. Our boat only has two through hulls, one for the basin and one for the tank drain. As far as I can see the vent is a simple loop of pipe appearing in the top corner of the forward locker. I'll have the cover off the tank when we're next down and have a better look. I've also had a good look at the various Mahe single line reefing set ups. I'm going down that route as I basically single hand all the time. Most peoples systems don't seem to run the topping lift aft, do you slacken it when sailing and tension to reef/stow or is it "set and forget".
I like the idea of a solid support Oliver, have you a pic of your arrangement?