Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 10:18   #1

Boat: FP Orana 44
Orana 44 -- Anchor options / mast rake

Just bought an Orana 44 and trying to figure out the boat and what new things I need to buy. Two questions.

1, The boat has been used in protected water which is good from a wear and tear on the boat. The fitted main anchor is a 16kg/35lb Delta which seems way too small as I plan an extended voyage. But even this small anchor almost touch the bowsprit, so fitting a bigger one might be an issue.

What anchors do you existing Orana owners use. Like to buy one of the new ones (like Rocna, Manson) or a bigger Delta might also do.

2, The mast is set with quite a bit if rake aft. Also it bends slightly aft as you would pull the aftstay (if there was one) to depower the main. Wonder if the diamonds have the right tension, ie the sideways too tight and forward too loose.

Much appreciate any answers from you seasoned Orana sailors
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 13:04   #2

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: Orana 44 -- Anchor options / mast rake

There are many threads here on anchors applicable to 40 something cats. I have a 25Kg Sarca but will probably upgrade to a Manson Supreme.

Mast is normally set up with aft rake. Only a rigger can determine if your diamonds have correct tension.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 01:31   #3

Thanks for your reply, but I was hoping for a more specific Orana answer. Let me try to rephrase my questions.

1, Anchor.
My current 16kg Delta almost touch the glassfiber bowsprit. I'm concerned that there isn't enough space to fit an anchor with a rollover bar (type Rocna, Manson) or even a bigger Delta. Any information on the subject.

2, Mast prebend.
My mast is set with roughly 15cm/6" prebend, mostly at the second spreader. Is this how the Orana mast is usually set.

BTW, I have a lot of racing experience internationally done several world championship campaigns as skipper/helmsman, so I have fairly good knowledge about rig/sail dynamics. But I never actually sailed a cruising catamaran before buying this Orana which I just did. The cruising catamaran rig is different to what I'm used to (diamonds), so my question is just simply if its usually set with a prebend.

Cheers
Old 24-03-2014, 01:53   #4

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
There are many threads here on anchors applicable to 40 something cats. I have a 25Kg Sarca but will probably upgrade to a Manson Supreme.

Mast is normally set up with aft rake. Only a rigger can determine if your diamonds have correct tension.
Not trying to drift this thread but why would you want to replaced a Sarca with a Manson Supreme? Do you have a Sarca Excel or Super Sarca? They both perform just as well as a Manson Supreme.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:05   #5

Sail

There is plenty of room on mine to fit larger anchor.

I do not think there is a "usual" set nor do I think it makes any real difference. It is a cruising boat, and certainly not a race boat. I suspect as a past racer you may be frustrated with its performance. All I can say is that mine is set back above the spreaders.

Oz

You are right - it is thread drift and I have no interest in revisiting anchor wars.
Old 24-03-2014, 06:14   #6
cruiser

Orana 44 -- Anchor options / mast rake

I'll visit anchor wars, in my opinion almost any style anchor is better than a delta, plow, CQR, whatever. Unless your about to embark on farming, the plow is not the best option. Sure many will chime in and tell you how well it works for them, it's natural to defend what you have. That doesn't mean there are not 10 better options. I wouldn't get rid of it, just buy two more different options and then your super prepared for all occasions. I'm in the market for a new generation style spade anchor, I'm not sold on the roll bar at all and believe it would function the same without it. Of the 3 or 6 spades that get argued about hear I don't feel there's a damn bit of difference really, all pretty much the same. That's hard for many to swallow who are firmly planted in one camp or another. I'm leaning toward Mantus though only because I bought the chain hook they offer and it's pretty swell.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 06:49   #7

cwjown,

Do you have the gennaker pole fitted on your boat. I believe its an option, and the molded device goes all the way back to the front beam (or foredeck) next to the anchor box exit. That's what is very close the anchor, and if wasn't for it, there would be all the space in the world.

I think cruising is all about the voyage and not the speed experience. I mostly raced high performance dinghies and any keel boat, even high performance ones, is like a bus to me. The Orana catamaran will just be a very big bus. I bought it for the comfort and then I hope a cruising catamaran is the boat to have. I might be the first person who bought a cruising catamaran without have sailed one a single time before, but I'm fairly confident I did the right thing.

Cheers
Old 24-03-2014, 08:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Sail IC,

I've sailed almost everywhere with my Orana and didn't drag anywhere so far with my Bugel 25 kg. But I know that when it comes to anchor selection, everyone has a different opinion..

Orana's has a specific problem with the anchor hitting the around the hole where the chain is flowing. In all of our Orana's we fitted a stainless plate form both side to avoid, that, I strongly recommend it. (see pix)

For spi bow, the easiest and chepeast solution is the retractable one. The pic is not great but gives you an idea.

I also recommend that you support underneath of each claets with stainless plate; they are weak. Otherwise , it's great boat, congratulations..

Cheers

Yeloya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	78034   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT9498.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	78035  

yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 13:59   #9

Hi Yeloya,

Thanks for your advice and solutions. I will look into using it.

I'm quite happy with my purchase. If understand FPs HIN numbers I got hull #34. I'm very tall so was choosing between the Orana and Lagoon 420, and I'm glad that the best deal I found was an Orana.

My particular boat was privately own, well kept throughout, 750 engine hours and by judging the condition of the sails hardly sailed. No blisters at the survey. It was epoxy treated underwater before delivery so maybe that helped. Decent equipment but I need to add some gear for ocean and long distance work.

I like your gennaker pole solution. Much better than the factory option fitted on my boat which I think will be a problem fitting an anchor, but I have some ideas how to improve space. Having a good anchor is very important for a good night sleep, but I'm not set on which as long as its one of the "new generation" ones.

Cheers
Old 24-03-2014, 14:54   #10

I have the factory fitted bowsprit, but I also have the ss anchor guide fitted which I assumed was a standard fitting. The anchor is well clear of the bowsprit.

The Orana goes much better with a decent size genniker/screecher and a spinnaker above 150.
Old 24-03-2014, 16:11   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Factory SPI bowsprit is actually very good. The problem is that it is very expensive and is not retractable. In most marinas they are charging by sqm and taking the LOA including the tip of the bowsprit..
By the way, the port side sheet of the SPI doesn't run to the winches on the helm station. You can use the winch of the dingy (not ideal but cheaper..) or install an extra winch to be installed on the aft port side of the cockpit. (like in Helia)
Last note; the connection of the stanchions that attach the hard top bimini to the floor are weak. As you know the traveller of the main is on the bimini and I know that couple of Orana's have had these stanchions ripped of as a result of accidental gybe. I have added the 4 th stanchion and strenghten the connections.
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 16:51   #12

Yeloya

I have to pay for 15m marina anyway so is not a problem.

Both of my spi sheets run to the winch on the dingy via routing blocks. This is not really a problem when you run with a crew of two.

I am arranging to put stainless plates behind the cleats. I will also look at adding a 4th stanchion as well.

Thanks
Chris

Tags
anchor, mast, orana