Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2020, 18:18   #166

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40
Re: Lucia Owners

hi John out if curiosity what did the new equipment cost installed ?

peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneymax View Post
Hi,

I own Lucia 40 #234 SV High Option

I changed out the enire boom, mainsail, karver hook, reefing lines, sail pack and lazy jacks for a Leisure Furl in boom furling system.

If anyone is interested, All IS FOR SALE at a very reasonable price. Gear is brand new.

Please feel free to message me.

Regards,

John
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:06   #167

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Right around 27k.
Boom, vang, dacron mainsail,install and test sail.
Johnneymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 05:24   #168

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by A TEN View Post
Just took delivery of Lucia #252 and it definitely has an aft CG. Stern 2-3” lower than bow with: full fuel & water, no dinghy, factory anchor w/100’ chain, 300’ coil of dock/anchor line, genset, 3xA/C, partially loaded and provisioned. Will update when fully set up.

On a different note, has anyone had any luck with the “new” mainsail gaff lock (Karver) system? The head of the main is supposed to slide into the gaff lock hook as you raise the main, without having someone at the mast to guide it in. Mine did not go all the way in (w/single reef), and the dyneema attaching line sat on the top of the hook and jammed the halyard. This made it Very difficult to bring down the mainsail. I bought this boat because it’s supposed to be single handed and needing someone at the mast to raise the main is unacceptable to me - what’s up FP?? Am I missing an Occam’s Razor?

I have the Karver system on my Lucia 40 and really like it. I find the key is to give the halyard a yank just as the soft shackle comes up to the Karver gaff. This in effect "jumps the Halyard" or bumps the soft shackle on to the hook. If you simply raise the main in the hopes the soft shackle will slide on to the Karver gaff, you run the risk of the soft shackle pinching down on the "slack" halyard just before it should be sliding on to the Karver gaff. This situation can keep the soft shackle from totally slipping over and anchoring itself firmly in the yoke of the Karver gaff. A little practice and its easy to do single handed or with someone else at the winch.
Sailguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 05:49   #169

Boat: FP LUCIA 40, Hull #51

Congrats on your purchase! Ours sits down by the head by about an inch or two; what anchor do you have? We have the Rocna 33 installed plus the factory anchor and Fortress all in the anchor locker, so maybe that is why. Anyway, I rigged a dyneema setup for the mainsail, so others will have to comment on the Karver rig!

Fair winds!
Escape Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:36   #170

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Hi

Does anyone happen to know what size the split pins securing the bottle screws are? Now we can travel I'm heading out to see my boat and one of my jobs is to put in new pins. No idea where the old ones went!

Cheers

Ian
Old 17-07-2020, 10:44   #171

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
Hi

Does anyone happen to know what size the split pins securing the bottle screws are? Now we can travel I'm heading out to see my boat and one of my jobs is to put in new pins. No idea where the old ones went!

Cheers

Ian

I don't know off hand but you can usually get a multi-pack and then you'll have extras for other uses.
Sailguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:18   #172

After recently becoming a co-owner of a Lucia 40 (2017) 4 cabin / 2 head, would be very interested in hearing about other owners experiences with the front deck cushions. Our boat does not currently have them but we have very much enjoyed them in the past when chartering other Lucias. The main problem was accessing the anchor locker with the cushions on. Presumably this can be solved by rigging up a system to attach the cushion to the mast when the anchor locker is open. Thoughts about storage also welcome? Can they really be left out most of the time? Can they be temporarily stored in the anchor locker in high winds? Any advice welcome.
Ivylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 18:45   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneymax View Post
Hi,

I own Lucia 40 #234 SV High Option

I changed out the enire boom, mainsail, karver hook, reefing lines, sail pack and lazy jacks for a Leisure Furl in boom furling system.

If anyone is interested, All IS FOR SALE at a very reasonable price. Gear is brand new.

Please feel free to message me.

Regards,

John

Still all for sale?
dpignolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 04:25   #174

Does anyone know the factory size and pitch and hand of the 3 bladed Volvo factory installed folding prop?
dpignolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 17:06   #175

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpignolet View Post
Does anyone know the factory size and pitch and hand of the 3 bladed Volvo factory installed folding prop?
The factory installed folding prop is a Bruntons Varifold. Not sure about the pitch or diameter.. I'll see if I have any specifics aboard.

https://www.bruntonspropellers.com/varifold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SailDrive-After1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	234705  
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 01:19   #176
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbonium View Post
The factory installed folding prop is a Bruntons Varifold. Not sure about the pitch or diameter.. I'll see if I have any specifics aboard.

https://www.bruntonspropellers.com/varifold
Hi I'm from Brunton's Propellers how can I help you.

sales@bruntons-propellers.com
Brunton's Propellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 23:28   #177

Looking at putting air conditioning in a Lucia 40.
Can anyone advise the factory locations of the outlets and intakes. Also where the units are located. It’s a Maestro version.
Stevenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 22:59   #178

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

The factory installed 3 bladed folding prop on a Volvo engine and saildrive is a Volvo prop, at least it was in 2016. I would be surprised if they used Brunton's. Perhaps it is a US standard, are they using Volvo engines? I thought they stopped shipping Volvo to the US because of emission compliance issues.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 00:15   #179

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Isla 40

Hi all,
I know this is a Lucia 40 post, but given the minimal changes for the Isla 40 I am hoping Isla 40 owners are welcome.... well not an owner yet but will be when finally built, currently finalising options.
I have been following this and the associated forums to understand how best to setup the boat and greatly appreciate the wealth of experience being shared. I have searched but haven't been able to answer these questions and hoping can get some owners experiences.

- Transom protection, is the factory option worth it, or is it better to look at aftermarket or fenders?

- Transom cleats, was thinking of leaving for it now and seeing if need them and best location. Is there access from the engine bay to install later?

- Factory cockpit tent, broker is saying is better than after market options, has this been others experience? I would like shelter on the sides from wind (primarily when sailing) and shades that can be tided back to stanchions with some water proofing at anchor which I don't think it includes.

- Hardtop bimini, is Dedicated Marine the only supplier? Has anyone had a hardtop installed and how have they found it?

- Saloon table, they have gone away from the 3 stage table and gone to a coffee table as standard with optional dining but with the loss of the chart table I think I would use the table for planning and extra bench top for kitchen, do people that have them happy with them?

- Isla 40 owners, has anyone gone with the optional 63L cold storage/freezer, it doesn't appear to be the same as the Lucia, ie proper freezer with drawers. I understand is only -5oC ...

- I have found the owners manual a wealth of knowledge to understand the boat, unfortunately in all my searching I have not been able to find the appendices for either Lucia or Isla, can anyone point me in the right direction?

- Anchor and rode, I know there are alot of different thoughts out there which through reading and looking at reviews has lead me to the following plan for myself. I would be interested if there there is something significantly amiss with it. I'm not an ocean cruiser and not currently planning on sailing in tropical storm areas.

20kg Rocna (or other plough), 40-50m chain, +100m nylon rode. Secondary/kedge/higher winds, +25kg boltup Mantus, 40m chain, +100m rope.
If money wasn't an issues I would look to reduce chain size (and gypsie) to reduce boat weight and go up a couple grades in chain strength, maybe to 8mm Stainless (Cromox) for the primary and 8mm HT for the secondary.
Thoughts? Is 8mm too small for intended use even if higher grade?

Thanks again for all the information in this and other posts, and looking forward to being part of the FP community.

Cheers
Todd
Jibery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 00:41   #180

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

Hi

Welcome. From my perspective you should join this forum, they certainly look like the same boat with a few tweaks.
I have put some comments in CAPS against each question.
Hope that helps.

Cheers
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibery View Post
Hi all,
I know this is a Lucia 40 post, but given the minimal changes for the Isla 40 I am hoping Isla 40 owners are welcome.... well not an owner yet but will be when finally built, currently finalising options.
I have been following this and the associated forums to understand how best to setup the boat and greatly appreciate the wealth of experience being shared. I have searched but haven't been able to answer these questions and hoping can get some owners experiences.

- Transom protection, is the factory option worth it, or is it better to look at aftermarket or fenders?
I HAVE THE FACTORY ONES AND THEY DO WORK QUITE WELL. I CAN'T COMMENT ON AFTER MARKET OPTIONS.
- Transom cleats, was thinking of leaving for it now and seeing if need them and best location. Is there access from the engine bay to install later?
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THIS. I HAVE CLEATS ON THE ANGLED SIDE GUNWALE AS STANDARD. I DON'T PARTICULARLY LIKE THE ANGLE OF THE PULL AND MAY FIT OTHERS AT A BETTER ANGLE. THERE IS ACCESS FROM THE ENGINE ROOM. I FITTED TURNING BLOCKS ON THE GUNWALE (RIGHT AFT) WHICH WAS AWKWARD BUT QUITE DOOABLE.
- Factory cockpit tent, broker is saying is better than after market options, has this been others experience? I would like shelter on the sides from wind (primarily when sailing) and shades that can be tided back to stanchions with some water proofing at anchor which I don't think it includes.
THE TENT IS PRETTY GOOD, A LOT OF CLEARS WHICH MAKES IT HOT IN SUNNY WEATHER. I ALSO HAD MESH PANELS MADE WHICH WE FIT AS SOON AS IT WARMS UP AND USE THE WHOLE OF SUMMER. THESE ARE SET UP SO YOU CAN TAKE THEM OUT TO THE GUARDRAIL TO LET AIR FLOW UNDERNEATH.
- Hardtop bimini, is Dedicated Marine the only supplier? Has anyone had a hardtop installed and how have they found it?
I HAD A CUSTOM SOFT BIMINI MADE UP FOR THE HELM.

- Saloon table, they have gone away from the 3 stage table and gone to a coffee table as standard with optional dining but with the loss of the chart table I think I would use the table for planning and extra bench top for kitchen, do people that have them happy with them?

WE HAVE THE FULL TABLE AND USE IT QUITE A LOT. THAT SAID THE OPTION CAME WITH GAS LEGS AND CUSHIONS TO CONVERT TO A BED. SO FAR WE HAVE NOT USED IT AS A BED AND IT WAS NOT CHEAP. ALSO THE TABLE IS A LITTLE TO BIG. I PLAN TO ROUND THE CORNERS A BIT TO MAKE ACCESS TO THE SEAT EASIER.
- Isla 40 owners, has anyone gone with the optional 63L cold storage/freezer, it doesn't appear to be the same as the Lucia, ie proper freezer with drawers. I understand is only -5oC ...

- I have found the owners manual a wealth of knowledge to understand the boat, unfortunately in all my searching I have not been able to find the appendices for either Lucia or Isla, can anyone point me in the right direction?
WE GOT PDFS OF ALL THE DRAWINGS. IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE AFTER I CAN SEND THEM. I WOULD GUESS THEY WOULD BE VERY SIMILAR.

- Anchor and rode, I know there are alot of different thoughts out there which through reading and looking at reviews has lead me to the following plan for myself. I would be interested if there there is something significantly amiss with it. I'm not an ocean cruiser and not currently planning on sailing in tropical storm areas.

20kg Rocna (or other plough), 40-50m chain, +100m nylon rode. Secondary/kedge/higher winds, +25kg boltup Mantus, 40m chain, +100m rope.
If money wasn't an issues I would look to reduce chain size (and gypsie) to reduce boat weight and go up a couple grades in chain strength, maybe to 8mm Stainless (Cromox) for the primary and 8mm HT for the secondary.
Thoughts? Is 8mm too small for intended use even if higher grade?

I WOULD NOT GO TO 8MM. THE WEIGHT OF THE CHAIN MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE TO HOLDING POWER, IN MY OPINION. I USE A 25kG ROCNA. ROCNA SIZING SUGGESTS 20kG BUT I WOULD STICK WITH 25. ALL 10MM CHAIN X 80M. I STARTED WITH 60M AND ADDED 20M AS SOME MED ANCHORAGES ARE QUITE DEEP AND WINDY AND HAVE REGULARLY USED MORE THAN 60! BACKUP ANCHOR IS 20kKG DELTA WITH 10M CHAIN AND 100M NYLON.
Thanks again for all the information in this and other posts, and looking forward to being part of the FP community.

Cheers
Todd
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote