Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2021, 02:07   #181

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Isla 40
Re: Lucia Owners

Cheers Martin,

See the attached pic of optional cleats down on the transform. They look like they would get in the way more than be useful.

Yes, was referring to the drawings that are referred to in the owners manual.

Thanks for the feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isla cleats.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	240054  
Jibery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:56   #182

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenc View Post
Looking at putting air conditioning in a Lucia 40.
Can anyone advise the factory locations of the outlets and intakes. Also where the units are located. It’s a Maestro version.
I have a owners version as well with the factory installed Dometic AC units. The port, one STB units are located under the aft berth beds, just behind the drawers. The third unit is located in the cabinet space to the right as you head down the steps on the owners side, behind the helm. The Raw water lines and single large pump are located in the bilge just outside the owners head. Intake thru hull port is located in this bilge. The raw water exit port is located aft of the escape hatch so you can see the water being discharged. The STB side water pump">raw water pump, thru hull inlet, screen, etc. is almost the same set as the owners side and located in the bilge outside the Port head.
Sailguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:20   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibery View Post
Hi all,
I know this is a Lucia 40 post, but given the minimal changes for the Isla 40 I am hoping Isla 40 owners are welcome.... well not an owner yet but will be when finally built, currently finalising options.
I have been following this and the associated forums to understand how best to setup the boat and greatly appreciate the wealth of experience being shared. I have searched but haven't been able to answer these questions and hoping can get some owners experiences.

- Transom protection, is the factory option worth it, or is it better to look at aftermarket or fenders? DO NOT GET THE FACTORY TRANSOM PROTECTORS, THEY WILL LOOK WARPED, DULL, AND TERRIBLE IN A YEAR AND ARE REALLY TOO SMALL TO PROPERLY PROTECT. BUY CAN STYLE FENDERS YOU CAN EASILY HANG SIDEWAYS ACROSS THE STERNS.

- Transom cleats, was thinking of leaving for it now and seeing if need them and best location. Is there access from the engine bay to install later? YOU CAN ACCESS THE STERN TO INSTALL THE CLEATS LATER IF YOU THINK YOU NEED THEM. I DONT HAVE THEM AND CAN STILL CROOS TIE THE STERN FROM THE UPPER SIDE CLEATS.

- Factory cockpit tent, broker is saying is better than after market options, has this been others experience? I would like shelter on the sides from wind (primarily when sailing) and shades that can be tided back to stanchions with some water proofing at anchor which I don't think it includes. I ALSO HAVE THE FACTORY AFT SALON ENCLOSURES. THEY FIT WELL BUT COULD BE MADE WITH MUCH BETTER MATERIALS FOR THE COST. WE USE THE SIDE PANELS A LOT, ESPECIALLY ON CROSSING OR REALLY WINDY DAYS TO KEEP THE AFT COCKPIT AND PASSENGERS DRY. I ALSO ADDED SUN SCREENS FOR THE SIDES. YOU WILL ALSO ALSO WANT TO HAVE THE ENCLOSURE PIECE THAT SEALS OFF THE HELM STAIRS AND LOUNGE SEATING AREA. WHEN IT RAINS, THIS AREA WILL BE VERY WET, IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE ENCLOSURE.

- Hardtop bimini, is Dedicated Marine the only supplier? Has anyone had a hardtop installed and how have they found it? I DONT HAVE A HARD TOP, THEY ARE A GREAT BUT EXPENSIVE OPTION. YOU WOULD HAVE TO FIGURE THE COST/BENEFIT TO SEE IF ITS WORTH IT FOR YOU.

- Saloon table, they have gone away from the 3 stage table and gone to a coffee table as standard with optional dining but with the loss of the chart table I think I would use the table for planning and extra bench top for kitchen, do people that have them happy with them? I HAVE THE COFFEE TABLE THAT HAS STORAGE BELOW TO FOLDING TABLE TOPS. WE RARELY EAT INSIDE AND THE EXTRA STORAGE IS A MUST. ON THE ISLA, THE STORAGE COFFEE TABLE IS CUT DOWN BY ALMOST TWO THIRDS. IN THE END IT REALLY DEPENDS ON HOW YOU PLAN TO USE THE INTERIOR SPACE.

- Isla 40 owners, has anyone gone with the optional 63L cold storage/freezer, it doesn't appear to be the same as the Lucia, ie proper freezer with drawers. I understand is only -5oC ...

- I have found the owners manual a wealth of knowledge to understand the boat, unfortunately in all my searching I have not been able to find the appendices for either Lucia or Isla, can anyone point me in the right direction? CONTACT FP CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR THIS. NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN THE APPENDICES?

- Anchor and rode, I know there are alot of different thoughts out there which through reading and looking at reviews has lead me to the following plan for myself. I would be interested if there there is something significantly amiss with it. I'm not an ocean cruiser and not currently planning on sailing in tropical storm areas. I HAD THE FACTORY INSTALLED 45 LB DELTA ANCHOR ON MINE. IT WOULD DRAG TOO OFTEN TO BE COMFORTABLE FOR ME. I CHANGED OVER TO A 55LB MANTUS AND NO MORE DRAGGING ISSUES. I ALSO CARRY 300' OF CHAIN, AND 200 FEET OF RODE. I ALSO CARRY A FORTRESS ANCHOR, CHAIN, AND RODE FOR BACK-UP CASES.

20kg Rocna (or other plough), 40-50m chain, +100m nylon rode. Secondary/kedge/higher winds, +25kg boltup Mantus, 40m chain, +100m rope.
If money wasn't an issues I would look to reduce chain size (and gypsie) to reduce boat weight and go up a couple grades in chain strength, maybe to 8mm Stainless (Cromox) for the primary and 8mm HT for the secondary.
Thoughts? Is 8mm too small for intended use even if higher grade?

Thanks again for all the information in this and other posts, and looking forward to being part of the FP community.

IF YOU DIDNT GET THE BOW SPRIT OPTION, YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER IT. IT HELPS HOLD THE TRAMPOLINE MORE FIRM WHEN GOING FORWARD, BUT ALSO GIVES YOU OPTIONS FOR ADDING A ROLLER FURLED SCREECHER, GENNAKER, SPINNAKER, ETC.

GREAT BOATS, I'M SURE YOU WILL LOVE YOURS! CHEERS!

Cheers
Todd

SEE ABOVE ANSWERS IN BOLD!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:22   #184

You should also consider joining the Fountaine Pajot group on FaceBook. There are many Lucia forty and some Isla 40 owners to reference many of your questions, etc.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:45   #185

Thanks for info Sailguy, I had heard a similar comment about transom protect on different boat. Yes am getting bowsprit and have joined FB group. Cheers
Old 10-06-2021, 05:56   #186

I love the new bow design. Are you sailing yours from France to Australia?
Old 10-06-2021, 08:24   #187

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibery View Post
Hi all,
I know this is a Lucia 40 post, but given the minimal changes for the Isla 40 I am hoping Isla 40 owners are welcome.... well not an owner yet but will be when finally built, currently finalising options.
I have been following this and the associated forums to understand how best to setup the boat and greatly appreciate the wealth of experience being shared. I have searched but haven't been able to answer these questions and hoping can get some owners experiences.

- Transom protection, is the factory option worth it, or is it better to look at aftermarket or fenders? YOU WILL ALWAYS NEED FENDERS...

- Transom cleats, was thinking of leaving for it now and seeing if need them and best location. Is there access from the engine bay to install later? I THINK THE MORE CLEATS THE BETTER. WHAT I REALLY WANT ARE CLEATS AT THE VERY FRONT OF THE HULLS FOR ATTACHING BRIDLE TO A MOORING BALL. ONES FURTHER BACK HAVING THE BRIDLE HITTING THE STANCHIONS

- Factory cockpit tent, broker is saying is better than after market options, has this been others experience? I would like shelter on the sides from wind (primarily when sailing) and shades that can be tided back to stanchions with some water proofing at anchor which I don't think it includes. THERE ARE MANY CANVAS COMPANIES THAT CAN DO JUST AS GOOD A JOB IF NOT BETTER THAN THE FACTORY. WHAT THE FACTORY GETS YOU IS LESS HASSLE OF NOT HAVING TO FIND AND WORK WITH A CANVAS COMPANY. YOU WILL PROBABLY PAY MORE FOR THE FACTORY ONES.

- Hardtop bimini, is Dedicated Marine the only supplier? Has anyone had a hardtop installed and how have they found it? THERE ARE PLACES THAT WILL DO THIS AS WELL, BUT JUST A BIT MORE COMPLICATED THAN FACTORY

- Saloon table, they have gone away from the 3 stage table and gone to a coffee table as standard with optional dining but with the loss of the chart table I think I would use the table for planning and extra bench top for kitchen, do people that have them happy with them? I LIKE HAVING FULL SIZE TABLE. MY DEALER EXPLAINED TO ME THAT THEY EXPECTED MOST PEOPLE (READ CHARTERS IN THE CARIB) TO EAT OUTSIDE AT THE COCKPIT TABLE, SO HAVING A MORE OPEN SALON WITH COFFEE TABLE DOES THAT. IF YOU ARE NOT IN TROPICAL WEATHER ALL THE TIME, OR NEED TO SAIL IN BAD WEATHER, I THINK HAVING AN INDOOR FULL SIZE TABLE IS THE WAY TO GO. TOO BAD THEY DIDN'T THINK OF HAVING A TABLE THAT DROPS, BUT ALSO HAS PARTS THAT FOLD SO IT COULD BE BOTH A FULL SIZE HIGH TABLE OR A COFFEE TABLE.

- Isla 40 owners, has anyone gone with the optional 63L cold storage/freezer, it doesn't appear to be the same as the Lucia, ie proper freezer with drawers. I understand is only -5oC ...THAT IS NOT COLD ENOUGH FOR A REAL FREEZER BUT SHOULD WORK FOR A WEEK OF KEEPING THINGS FROM SPOILING. I DIDN'T KNOW OF THIS, THANK YOU FOR POINTING IT OUT.

- I have found the owners manual a wealth of knowledge to understand the boat, unfortunately in all my searching I have not been able to find the appendices for either Lucia or Isla, can anyone point me in the right direction?

- Anchor and rode, I know there are alot of different thoughts out there which through reading and looking at reviews has lead me to the following plan for myself. I would be interested if there there is something significantly amiss with it. I'm not an ocean cruiser and not currently planning on sailing in tropical storm areas.

20kg Rocna (or other plough), 40-50m chain, +100m nylon rode. Secondary/kedge/higher winds, +25kg boltup Mantus, 40m chain, +100m rope.
If money wasn't an issues I would look to reduce chain size (and gypsie) to reduce boat weight and go up a couple grades in chain strength, maybe to 8mm Stainless (Cromox) for the primary and 8mm HT for the secondary.
Thoughts? Is 8mm too small for intended use even if higher grade? I THINK THE SIZE OF THE ANCHOR IS OK, BUT DEPENDING UPON WHERE YOU ARE, MAYBE NOT ENOUGH CHAIN. AGAIN, IN THE CARIB FOR CHARTERS WHERE THEY ARE IN MOSTLY UNDER 20' OF WATER, 50M IS FINE. GETTING ANOTHER 25M OF CHAIN IS WHAT I HAD.

Thanks again for all the information in this and other posts, and looking forward to being part of the FP community.

Cheers
Todd
Don't have the Lucia, looked at it very seriously before buying my Lagoon, and now looking at used Lucia/Isla after selling my lagoon. See my ALL CAP RESPONSES
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:58   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Don't have the Lucia, looked at it very seriously before buying my Lagoon, and now looking at used Lucia/Isla after selling my lagoon. See my ALL CAP RESPONSES

FYI- regarding forward cleats. In lieu of more forward cleats, I added the large Harken Jib Fairlead (these are fairly new and provide plenty of room for guiding the lines) on the aluminium cross bar. The fairleads are positioned so that an anchor/mooring bridle or dock line can be run thru them and tied off on either bow cleat. This keeps the lines from chaffing or damaging the stanchions or seagull striker. Easy to install and one less cleat forward a sail foot or toe to snag on.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:16   #189

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailguy61 View Post
FYI- regarding forward cleats. In lieu of more forward cleats, I added the large Harken Jib Fairlead (these are fairly new and provide plenty of room for guiding the lines) on the aluminium cross bar. The fairleads are positioned so that an anchor/mooring bridle or dock line can be run thru them and tied off on either bow cleat. This keeps the lines from chaffing or damaging the stanchions or seagull striker. Easy to install and one less cleat forward a sail foot or toe to snag on.
Very innovative solution! Do they put a pull on the crossbar? I originally was going to put cleats on the crossbar but was told that there should not be a load there. FP might be different than lagoon, I have seen other cats that have had approved cleats on their crossbars. I know a turning block won't have the same direct load as a cleat, depends upon the angle the line is at.

How did you get the nut inside the crossbar for a bolt to screw into, or did you use a rivet?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 15:06   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailguy61 View Post
I love the new bow design. Are you sailing yours from France to Australia?
Initial plan was to sail back but as I further research/plan am considering having shipped. Primarily because will take longer than first thought (which is longer off work and loss income), and the fitout for ocean crossing is considerably more than what I initially need for costal crusing. Ultimately I would love the experience of sailing back (with a delivery skipper for significant proportion), if my work allows.
Old 10-06-2021, 15:14   #191

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

Hi Todd
All of the above replies make good sense. A few follow up comments as I now realised you are Aus based.
If you are cruising the East coast you can get away with 60m of chain. I had that on my Mahe and it was enough but in some of the big tide areas you will need all of it.
Rocna, Manson Supreme or Mantus at 25Kg will be fine.
As you don't have a nav station you will want the full size table. Definitely aimed at Carrib charters that design, I use our Nav station all the time.
I would fit the transom bumpers. Sure you can tie a fender across there but it's just another thing to worry about and unless you fit the extra cleats you don't have good options to tie to. I have accidentally "Tested" the factory ones and they certainly worked. In the med you are mooring stern to all the time so recommended. In Aus as you will be in floating marina berths you could get away without any.
Re the cleats. Tied in floating marinas the current cleats are fine. Where you worry is where you are tied up to a high wall and you are getting a surge from ferries and the like. With a high wall the transom cleats are probably too low anyway.
I like the idea of the fairlead for the bridle, the standard setup has it's issues. Perhaps the other suggestion of a turning block on the bow as I don't like the idea of fitting too much to the forebeam. The bow is pretty strong. A chartered mono hit us at anchor and they came off 2nd best!

If you want the drawings PM me with your email id and I will send them although being Lucia they may not be 100% accurate. I am sure almost all is the same though. (electrics and plumbing etc).
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 19:23   #192

Thanks sailguy, sorry for my late response. Appreciate your information
Cheers
Stevenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 01:19   #193

Hi,
I Would like to know the Service battery space on a Lucia 40. Can someone measure the length, depth and height?
My boat is the other side of the world at the moment.
Most concern is the height available at the grey battery switch enclosure if I go back 360mm, as this is the length of the battery.
Im not sure if I will have the clearance height of 345mm at this depth.
Cheers
Stevenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 11:41   #194

Hello owners! We have an upcoming charter and would like to confirm a Lucia 40 has a 12V Power outlet please?
freebird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 22:01   #195

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird22 View Post
Hello owners! We have an upcoming charter and would like to confirm a Lucia 40 has a 12V Power outlet please?

Yes. There's one by the chart table as standard. There's an optional one by the wheel. As standard I have a usb port in each cabin.
twohapence is offline   Reply With Quote