Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 03:59   #136

Boat: Lucia 40
Re: Lucia Owners

Hi Everyone!

My Husband Mike and I have a Lucia on order and she leaves the factory first week of May (2019). We are very much on countdown already and very excited! Our plans are to live on board full time with our two (small) dogs, start in the Med and then hopefully the Atlantic/Caribbean...

No questions yet, but just wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves.
VictoriaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:41   #137

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaS View Post
Hi Everyone!

My Husband Mike and I have a Lucia on order and she leaves the factory first week of May (2019). We are very much on countdown already and very excited! Our plans are to live on board full time with our two (small) dogs, start in the Med and then hopefully the Atlantic/Caribbean...

No questions yet, but just wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves.
Welcome , we’re coming to end of season 2 for us. Last year was La Rochelle , Gijon, A Coruna, Rias, Portugal, Sw Spain, Morocco, gib, SE Spain, Balearics and out at Sant Carles de la Ràpita.

This year Sant Carles to Balearics, Barcelona, Costa Brava, Côte D’Azur, riviera, Portofino, Elba, Corsica, Sardinia, Tunisia, Sardinia, Corsica, French Riviera, Côte D’Azur, our at Canet et ROUSSILLON.
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 06:25   #138

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have a Lucia coming in Sept 2019. We plan to do short trips and lots of overnights with our children along the Eastern United States. We will be moored in the Navesink River in Red Bank, NJ.

I still have time to fine tune the options. We have decided not to install a water maker nor heat but outside of that we are game to consider all other options. Can you please share ideas with what is working really well or what are must haves. Is there anythings I should be steering clear of?

I have limited sailing experience of one year on a flying scot 19' and this is my first large sailboat. I have substantial power boat experience (for whatever that is worth) I have completed my ASA 101,103 and taking the 104,118 this winter.

So any advice on how to set up our new Lucia is welcomed!

Also, if someone could suggest what type of tools I should carry on board that would be welcomed as well.

I am also interested to learn any feedback on what options are worth waiting to install after delivery since some options seem unusually priced.

Thank you for reading my post and I welcome your thoughts and comments.
Johnneymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 06:42   #139

Congratulation on your new boat. My boat is leaving factory next week so I can't speak from any experience but happy to answer any question I can. I also only done ASA 101 and 103 with very little sailing experience. I'm also in NJ so if you wanna come out and see the boat just let me know.
masteryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 19:24   #140

Boat: Fountaine Pajot

Another good place for information regarding all things FP is the Facebook page for FP... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1017563221642960/
Seapatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 19:04   #141

Hi Lucia Owners,

Have taken the plunge and committed to a 1/6 share in a new Lucia 40 (to be commissioned in 2020) managed by Yacht Share Mediterranean. Looks like we will be getting the 3 cabin 2 heads version.

Really looking forward to sailing Turkey, Greece for 5-8 weeks each year on my holidays.

Great to know there is a community established to share idea's with

Phil
Skipper 01
Seneite
Serenite01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:50   #142

Boat: Hanse 348

Looking at upsizing from my L380 to a Lucia. I can easily single hand my boat, including picking up the mooring myself and even docking (there are side gates, and the freeboard is not THAT high that you can't jump).

New models, L40, L42, Lucia don't have side gates, and freeboard is too high to jump anyway. So docking might not be possible single handed.

How about picking up a mooring?

Also, how about just sailing by yourself? Is it easy enough to autotack. I currently set my AP to wind mode, hit the autotack button, and use the big electric winch to pull in the new line. I normally leave the main on the spinlock, or around the smaller winch. I am considering ordering 3 electric winches.

On the interior, what are the thoughts on choices on the oven vs. microwave/convection which needs the inverter/generator to use. Also choices in refrig/freezer?

Appreciate any input. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 22:53   #143

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

Hi Jbinbi

We are on our 4th season in th eMed on our Lucia and in general very happy with her. Issues have been "cosmetic".

With regard to your questions.
Single handing is easy. I tack with AP generally using heading hold.

Anchoring can be an issue. Setting the pick is easy but because the chain comes from the front of the bridge deck you really need someone to show you where to head as the boat will slew sideways. Light winds are fine but it is a challenge if it is strong.

I don't see why picking up a mooring would be any different from the L380.

I have never tried docking single handed but my technique is to put the stern in, tie off and bring the bow in with the engines. I don't see why you could not tie of the stern, bring the bow in, step off the sugar scoop and tie the bow at your leisure.

We fitted a convection microwave and no oven. Use Inverter but have Lithium batteries. Probably depends on the amount you use an oven. We don't use it much.

Factory options of 2 drawer fridge and 90l freezer are good. I would not get the cockpit fridge as it takes up valuable locker space. Unless they have changed the position on the new ones.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 06:59   #144

MK, many thanks for the quick reply. I am assuming you did the Li yourself? I also saw the thread on this. However, I am not sure how much room there is for batteries and what comes standard. On my 380 I have 3 x 140 FLA, which I am going to replace with 6 x 6V FLA Golf Carts, for 660 AH. Fits in the same space! Don't know if I could get 6 GCs in there, or if I could even order that from the factory.

Also not sure if I could order the type of equipment from the factory I want or only what they OEM. For instance , I have Victron solar controllers right now, and really like their equipment. If I was getting a new boat, would want to get Victron controllers, inverter, charger, etc.

I also spent a long time designing a frame for 2 x 285 W solar that fits over the davits.

The Lucia looks like if I overhang the panels by several inches I could get 3 panels behind the traveller? I don't yet have the dimensions, but I do know that what FP provides is not enough, I think it is 300 W total, I think Ah to W ratio should be closer to 1.

Did you get a generator as well? If so, was it the stock one? I wouldn't see a need to run all A/C , microwave, hair dryer, coffee maker all at the same time, I think a 6kW is more than enough. Actually, for how I use things, a 3kW is fine.

Again, appreciate any inputs for the owners.
Old 17-08-2019, 08:17   #145

Boat: FP Lucia 40

jbinbi, we have owned our lucia going on two years now. Single handling is not too difficult, with the three winches I tend to use the two manual ones when tacking for the jib sheets, that way I can backwind the jib to help pull the front around. I generally keep the electric free for mainsheet adjustments.
Anchoring single hand has never been an issue for me, although picking it up can sometime be a little tricky as with the high freeboard the wind can grab it pretty quickly. I would imaging that mooring would be the same way, easy in light winds and more work as the wind gets higher.
We have the oven on our boat and no microwave. We find the oven works fine and do not miss not having the microwave.
We got the two refrigerator drawers and single large freezer above, really like this configuration and find that we can keep more than enough food on the boat.
We are actually considering selling our boat and getting into a bit bigger one. if you are interest in learning more about it or just how we outfitted our boat shoot me a PM. I have done the solar and some other upgrades to make the boat a bit more usable when cruising.
CaptainandGiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 00:43   #146

[

ANSWERS IN CAPS BELOW.

QUOTE=jbinbi;2955818]MK, many thanks for the quick reply. I am assuming you did the Li yourself? I also saw the thread on this. However, I am not sure how much room there is for batteries and what comes standard. On my 380 I have 3 x 140 FLA, which I am going to replace with 6 x 6V FLA Golf Carts, for 660 AH. Fits in the same space! Don't know if I could get 6 GCs in there, or if I could even order that from the factory.

YES I DID. TERBONIUM PUT UP SOME REALLY GOOD INFO ON THE THREAD. FP DON'T DO OPTIONX. 3X115AH VARTA AGMS FOR HOUSE.

Also not sure if I could order the type of equipment from the factory I want or only what they OEM. For instance , I have Victron solar controllers right now, and really like their equipment. If I was getting a new boat, would want to get Victron controllers, inverter, charger, etc.
WHEN I GOT MINE THE SOLAR CONTROLLERS WERE NOT VICTRON SO I DID THE SOLAR MYSELF. AGREE TOTALLY IRO VICTRON. FACTORY STANDARD INVERTER CHARGER IS A VICTRON MULTIPLUS 2KVA SO THAT IS GOOD

I also spent a long time designing a frame for 2 x 285 W solar that fits over the davits.

The Lucia looks like if I overhang the panels by several inches I could get 3 panels behind the traveller? I don't yet have the dimensions, but I do know that what FP provides is not enough, I think it is 300 W total, I think Ah to W ratio should be closer to 1.

YOU WIL, MANAGE WITH A SMALL OVERHANG. FACTORY OPTION IS USELESS.

Did you get a generator as well? If so, was it the stock one? I wouldn't see a need to run all A/C , microwave, hair dryer, coffee maker all at the same time, I think a 6kW is more than enough. Actually, for how I use things, a 3kW is fine.

I DONT HAVE A GENSET. RUN COFFEE MAKER, MODEST HAIRDRYER AND LI ITED MICROWAVE USE ON INVERTER. HAIRDRYER AND MICRO SELECTION IMPORTANT OF COURSE.

CHEERS
Again, appreciate any inputs for the owners.[/QUOTE]
Old 18-08-2019, 01:01   #147

I forgot that FP offer a 4th AGM as an option. I fitted 3x160 panels without an overhang. I would like a 4th. If you are going to have an overhang get as much as you can fit in. I would not use the davits, too much shading. I did that on my previous boat and it was not very effective.
Old 20-08-2019, 01:18   #148

MK. Thanks again. 345Ah is pretty darn small these days for batteries. I have 3 x 140 on the L380 and can fit 6 GC in that same space, giving me 630 Ah. Do you think I can fit GC in the same place of the AGMs. I don't know what the battery box on the Lucia looks like.

I read terboniums thread on the solar with an over hang. Fantastic job he did. I am in FL frequently and will try to contact him when down there.
Old 20-08-2019, 02:13   #149

II don't know what size the GCs are. It takes 4x VARTA 115 agms easily. If you download the data sheet it will give you the sizing.
Old 14-09-2019, 01:48   #150

Boat: between boats

Hey Lucia owners I've been noticing a few of these boats lately that seem to be very bow heavy when loaded up for cruising. Ie when at anchor or buoy the anti foul line is level or even below the waterline while the stern is basically out of the water. Even with a 20hp tender on the davits in one case.

What's going on is it just the forward water tanks or more to it?

Seem to recall seeing a lipari in the same state a few years back too.

Asked one of the owners who said once it was under sail it levelled out ie the stern was pushed down by the main. That's pretty much the opposite of every other cat I've sailed which immerse their bows more and lift their stern as they reach hull speed and above.

So was he right and this is the hull design intent of the lucia or did I just see 3 Lucia in a row all with waaaay to much payload forward?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote