Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2017, 10:25   #181

Boat: PDQ32
Re: In General

I had a similar leak on my hull number 59. The repair required the removal of all fuel. Not a simple matter.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-01-2017, 11:18   #182

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

Henryv - did you determine what caused the hole (I assume it was corrosion but what was the source)?
rmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 13:10   #183

Boat: PDQ32

Unfortunately I can't offer much insight as the boat was in charter and was repaired when I was not present.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-01-2017, 15:10   #184

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44

Still pumping fuel into jerry cans. So an interesting question, Does anyone know where the breaker/fuse is for the factory 6 installed high water switches. All of ours are inop, and i checked the leads and theres no power to the switches, bilge pumps work manually.

I'm thinking the previous owner knew of the fuel leak and opened the fuses to all the high water switches.

We saw what looked like some yellow bilge water where it's leaking today. Found out after purchase that was diesel and cleaned it up.

Low and behold now more diesel. And we did have it surveyed..... maybe a case to go back to the selling broker if we deem they knew and hid the problem by turning off the bilge switches?

Dont get me wrong - we love the boat- just some learning going on and hope this problem isn't bank breaking..
zerompg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 14:12   #185

So strange, I've drained lots of water from the area below the fuel tank. It seems this area has no drainage to the bilge so anything in there stays in there. So far about 12 gal of water, not sure if its salt or fresh haven't wanted to taste it

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where the water came from. No indication from our freshwater pressure pump that there would be a leak.. Only the water lines from the eng to the hotwater heater pass thru there and a cold supply and hot out from the water heater. One other line is the generator thru hull hose..

I hope we find a bottom to the water trapped in there as it slowly becomes more and more strange pulling 3 gal at a time out.....
Old 29-01-2017, 14:32   #186

Have you an air cond unit under that bunk with a raw water feed?
Old 29-01-2017, 14:35   #187

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerompg View Post
..... more strange pulling 3 gal at a time out.....
I'm confused, the water is still coming in? Or is 3 gal. your capacity to pull water during a single try?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 14:48   #188
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Assuming that it's not the salt water, check the pipe from fresh water pressure pump (which is under the seat in the saloon under the mast) to aft port side bed. This pipe goes heat exchanger and sugar scoop shower. I don't know what type of genset and where it was installed, but the genset normally has nothing to do with fresh water. We see a lot of leakage on the water heater due to the corosion over time or lose brackets in the water circuits. If the pressure pump starts while all of the valves are closed, there is certainly a leak over there. If not and the water keeps on coming, then you are taking sea water.
In that case, you need to check all thru hull hoses, A/C, genset, seawater pump for the kitchen, etc. Normally when we install this kind of valves/hoses, we alsways place them in the middle of the galley for easy reach and repair if necessary. As far as I know, the factory also does the same..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 13:38   #189

Update: Finally made it to the end of the leak. Tank reads 0 on the gauge, 14 5.3 gal jerry can's full of fuel and some water.

I was using a pump attached to a 3.5 gal container (West Marine) Oil change contraption to pull the fluid out. Pretty sure everything is removed from below the tank area now.

Waiting on estimates

Only leak we know of is the saltwater line at the kitchen is broke, the thru hull is closed and switch off. We tested it during the survey and sprayed salt water under the sink. I don't think that could make it back to the aft port area but who knows. Maybe when it was originally found leaking it was the cause of the water under the fuel tank.

We'll get a much better assessment when we get the tank removed. But the diesel smell is slowly starting to subside. Got all the bilge cleaned up and dry so that helps....
Old 02-02-2017, 14:29   #190

Boy, I feel for you and hope you find the source of the water. Pictures are often deceiving but is that small spots of corrosion on the fuel tank across the top and sides? Wondering if that is salt water being sprayed from some source.
Old 06-02-2017, 15:25   #191

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Orana 44 - Scallywag

There is a drain in the large, rear cockpit locker (the one that hinges forward). This should drain through a short hose to a skin fitting under the bridgedeck. Check first that the hose joining the drain hole and the skin fitting is actually there and if so is securely fitted at both ends. We had the same issue with water accumulating under the fuel tank, FP had forgotten to fit the hose!
Scally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 15:30   #192

That's exactly what we found, thanks!!.

The drain tube from the gen/locker was just going straight down into the cavity .

No fitting on the outside. I've replace the top thru fitting and used a long 3/4" hose that sticks outside the lower hole 6" for now. Sealed the top in good and will add a fitting on the bottom in a week or so when the top is cured.

We are putting a video together now. So glad to have found the source, now still to get the new fuel tank.
Old 06-02-2017, 15:33   #193

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Orana 44 - Scallywag

Sorry I was a little late, don't get to check the forum often. Please let me know how you get on removing and replacing the fuel tank.
Scally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:13   #194

Good catch Scally!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50   #195

Watching zerompg/stress less' YouTube video today, reminded me of a installation flaw I recently found on my roller furler (after 4 years of ownership-doh!)

Looking through the Facnor installation manual (http://www.facnor.com/uk/technical_s...slx2012_a5.pdf) I noted on pg. 28, section 5.1 that the furling line is led "through the stainless steel guide". Mine was not and explains why I occasionally had the line roll over the top of the drum and jam (even writing this I can't believe I didn't see it sooner!!) On my 'original' install the stainless steel guide faces fore and aft with the furling line led off the starboard side but wrongly outside of the guide.

Zerompg - I believe I see this in your install and wonder how many others (possibly because of the same misguided installer) have this issue.

FWIW - Rob