Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 13:12   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 Who Knew
Furuno GPS / FI3005 to Laptop

I have a Furuno GPS GP-32 connected to Furuno Fi 3005 Server with a RS232 to USB converter adapter between the 3005 and a Laptop PC. I am using com5 for driver and PC application OpenCPN with 4800 baud, 8 bit, parity none, 1 stop bit, and Xon/Xoff. I am getting wind and depth data but no GPS data (NMEA 183 sentences). What do I need to configure the GPS or 3005 to get the GPS sentences to the laptop?

Ken
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 12:09   #2
cruiser

Re: Furuno GPS / FI3005 to Laptop

Hi ,
This sound awfully complicated , my Lavezzi is also equipped wIth Furono electronics , what we have done is installed an Ericsson W35 router which is acting as a hub , all instruments ouput are fed into the Ericson and as I run the Maxsea software on the laptop , all outputs from the instruments are fed via wireless to the laptop which I carry around whereever I go on the boat , simple , neat and very practical
Cheers
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 21:26   #3

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hi I want to conect my GP32 to my auto helm, I've worked out that I need to use the yellow and the white wires.
I've been told if I get the polarity wrong it just won't work the voltages are so low that it won't do damage.
Are you using the yellow and white wires and have you tried changing polarity?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 11:04   #4
cruiser

Good morning DL,

Sorry , I am on a delivery run at present , due back in southport on sunday , I will check the wiring on FT and will let you know how it is wired ,
Cheers for now

Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 13:35   #5

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Hi Ken R,

I'm not on the boat at the moment nor am I intimately familiar with the server however I seem to recall a couple of things when I was last poking around that may help.

Are you ure that the GPS is wired to your server? The reason I ask is that at the server behind the fridge in our boat is a grey(?) multistrand wire and I think it is labled GPS but it is unused (ie, it doesn't go into the server) The wind and depth sensors are wired into it and that could be why you aren't getting GPS info from that server but are getting the other data.In the port engine compartment there is another server for the autopilot and I think (although not sure ) that the GPS has been wired into that server instead.

For my laptop nav setup I wasn't too fussed about having the wind or depth data so I wired up the GPS directly to an RS232 outlet at the nav station however I had real problems getting the com ports on the laptop configured. If you want to go down this route there are a couple of steps. First you have to wire the RS232plug correctly. This is relatively easy. There is a wiring diagram held within the menu of the GPS32 unit. You access it (by memory again, sorry) through the Menu button then I/O Settings then Wiring Info. Then you have to get the laptop to use the RS232 port. It seems that you have already done this as you are getting data from the server. In my case I had to use a com port emulator as the nav software (nRoute) wouldn't talk directly to the GPS even though I had the correct driver. I had to use a couple of small programmes called comOcom and GPS Proxy. Again this sounds uneccessary in your case.

So in short, I'd check if your GPS is actually wired into the server you are plugging your laptop into, if not, try either the server in the engine room or wire it directly.

Good luck!!

Brian
tpkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:08   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Mahe Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post
Hi ,
This sound awfully complicated , my Lavezzi is also equipped wIth Furono electronics , what we have done is installed an Ericsson W35 router which is acting as a hub , all instruments ouput are fed into the Ericson and as I run the Maxsea software on the laptop , all outputs from the instruments are fed via wireless to the laptop which I carry around whereever I go on the boat , simple , neat and very practical
Cheers

Hi, very nice idea. Also run a W35 but for Internet comms. What style connectors are you using to take data from your instruments into the W35? I've got Garmin 5008 installed on my Mahe and use RS232 to USB converter for MXTZ data input.

Appreciate any advice!

cheers

scott
Serendipity129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
I have a Furuno GPS GP-32 connected to Furuno Fi 3005 Server with a RS232 to USB converter adapter between the 3005 and a Laptop PC. I am using com5 for driver and PC application OpenCPN with 4800 baud, 8 bit, parity none, 1 stop bit, and Xon/Xoff. I am getting wind and depth data but no GPS data (NMEA 183 sentences). What do I need to configure the GPS or 3005 to get the GPS sentences to the laptop?
I've run into this before. You're problem is a hardware issue. The GPS can't see the connection between the RS-USB adapter as the drivers are OS specific. You'll need to find another way to get the antenna signal to the laptop. What OS is the PC running?

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furuno, laptop, gps