Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410
FP Good for Circumnavigation with Kids ?

Hi Folks,

We are new to this forum so this may be somewhere else but to be honest, it is a little intimidating to actually find an answer to the question we are looking for.

Here's our question: Are Fountaine Pajot boats good for a planned circumnavigation with children (ages 3 and 5)? Why or Why not?

We are actively searching for the perfect boat and are planning on casting off in November of this year. We would like a Cat that is between 38-44 feet in length and our budget is around $200-$300K. Closer to the 200k range. We are happy to have a "bare-necessities" as we are handy enough to put everything on it that we will eventually need. We were pretty set on FP or Robertson and Caines but as we began our search, a broker told us that we definitely did not want either of those and to look at Mantas. We did, but after getting on the Manta decided we did not like it at all. Not in the least. Up to this point, he was a little evasive as to why he didn't like the FPs so we are asking for all of your experience/advice. We are back to looking for FPs but would like to know what people that are actually out there cruising with these boats, or any Cat, think. We are a young couple with a little bit of sailing experience but to be honest, we will get our experience "out there" soon enough. We are very adventurous and comfortable on boats but mostly with river going vessels. We would really love some feedback, barring any personal slams about our lack of experience or crazy personal missives not involving our actual question

Thanks for any feedback in advance and we look forward to the discussion.

Lindsey
Rivers2Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Get rid of the broker. My suggestion is to research a lot, find the boat you like, and negociate direct. 10 months is pretty quick to find a boat, purchase it, outfit it, and set sail. It sure can be done but you need to act fast.

I'm biased on FP so really can't weigh in on that. There are about 20 threads specifically answering this question on this forum. If you go to the search tab, click it down, then use the google search for "fountaine pajot catamaran" you'll pull a lot up. Or, go to the multi section and start reading the threads there.

2006 Fountaine Pajot LAVEZZI Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2004 Fountaine Pajot LAVEZZI 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Lindsey,

Fountaine Pajot, Lagoons, Mantas, Privileges, Robertson and Caines all can and do circumnavigation.

Most all of these boats have crossed oceans just to be delivered to their new owners.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Agreed, of course I'm biased as well. $200 or less should easily get you into a well taken care of 38 FP. Finding the right one is the trick. Rushing this process is a recipe for trouble. It took me two years and three brokers to find the one I ended up with.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 13:56   #5

If your serious, I'd jump on that 2006 Lavezzi. That boat is SWEET!!!! If you got it for just over $200k it would be the deal of the new year.

But the fact in boat selling and buying right now is "cash talks and bull s%*t walks".
Old 12-01-2011, 00:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
As far as sailing properties are concerned, Athena's are at least as good as Lavezzis, if not better. With this budget, I believe Belize's will be out of reach. FP's are strong and seaworthy, capable of doing every passage within the +/- 35 lattitude in the right season.
For the kids, a net around the boat will be necessary..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22   #7
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Personally, I'm biased against most European cats, with the exception of Catana, they still seem to carry a lot of Crowther influence from their earlier designs.

All of the boats that have been quoted here can cross an ocean quite safely, as Yeloya says a net is one way of keeping the kids safe, however I would suggest taking the kids on a series of short trips before you set out on your world trip, that way they can go overboard a couple of times in protected waters, pick them up without too much danger.

I suggest this way as nothing is more effective than learning the lesson first hand for the kid in the water seeing the boat sailing away, they will think twice before they do anything silly that would see them go overboard again.

Have a look into man overboard systems, Raymarine makes a fairly decent one, they are very much worth it, we have always made our kids wear their man overboard tags, with the exception of when they are in the shower. They aren't cheap, but my kids are worth more than that price tag.

Your time frame is also a little tight, by the time you purchase the boat, learn all its quirks, what its limits are. Even if you have to wait one more year you will still get to set out on your adventure, as well as being far better prepared for it.

One other rule we established with our children, we have to trust each other 100%, if someone one the boat looks at you and screams something you do it, no matter if its my 9yo daughter or my visiting uncle, if you hesitate it may well be too late.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:18   #8

I'm biased too unfortunately, I have an FP bahia and I love it. I'm not a long time sailboat driver either, my background is in large merchant vessels but apart from the sticky up and dangly bits everywhere I can tell a good seakeeper when I feel one. Re timeframe, 10 months is plenty if you want it to be, I did it in 2 months from first seeing the boat on the net to dropping the lines.
Re small kids, I don't have any but I have some experience with this because a friend of mine came on board for 2 months of cruising recently with her 8 year old daughter. I was scared $%#*less before the time as its a lot of responsibilty especially when its not your kid. N/less it was a non-event in the end because a watchful eye and a long sit down before departing explaining some simple 'rules' and clearly defining 'no go' areas made it easy in the end. Kids seem way smarter than I thought...hehe. The FP was particularly good in this department because it has an enclosed cockpit ie one has to physically step up and out of it, this made demarkating the 'no go' areas very simple.
Agree re the broker, if he wants to buy his particular dream boat for himself then let him....just not with your cash...find someone who swims in a bigger pond or do it yourself.
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:25   #9

Boat: Lagoon 410
Wow! Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far. I must admit, I really like the Fountaine Pajot as they feel like home to me right now. Our kids have had many adventures in their short lives and fully understand the concept of "no-go" areas but we are hoping to spend a lot of time in the Carribean first. I like that Levezzi but I've read a couple of threads on here about Osmosis and Peeling, anyone have first hand experience of that? I read a court document from a family that was trying to do their "dream-sail-trip" and they had horrific osmosis and softening around the mast (Levezzi) and FP did nothing to fix/help. They had bought the boat brand new and submitted the claim within a year and still nothing but EVERY OTHER account, FP seems to "take the ball and run with it" with the boat ending up better than before.

I like Catanas but they seem to be significantly out of our price range. Finally, We are thinking to maybe stretch the budget a little for a belize as my husband has sailed them and likes them the best so far.

JJB, I agree the kids are worth way more than the pricetag and thanks for the suggestion. Doe818, it is encouraging to hear your timeframe as we are motivated and excited about this next aspect of our lives.

We are happy to travel to view boats, except next time I am thinking hot and margaritas in our hands as opposed to snow and freezing temps like last weekend in VA

Cheers,
Lindsey
Rivers2Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:55   #10

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
"All of the boats that have been quoted here can cross an ocean quite safely, as Yeloya says a net is one way of keeping the kids safe, however I would suggest taking the kids on a series of short trips before you set out on your world trip, that way they can go overboard a couple of times in protected waters, pick them up without too much danger.

I suggest this way as nothing is more effective than learning the lesson first hand for the kid in the water seeing the boat sailing away, they will think twice before they do anything silly that would see them go overboard again. "

I'm sure you didn't mean this to sound bad, but the thought of scaring kids to teach them a lesson on a boat is not something I would recommend.

Being involved with teaching kids to sail IMHO the last thing you want is to scare them.
If you're going to do that you will have a lot of trouble convincing them to get them on the boat in the first place.

As for FPs the Lavezzi's walk around transom is great for families and they can be bought for around $200K in the Caribbean and the Med.

Athenas are very nice but I think the Lavezzi has a better layout for families, just be aware of the osmosis issues with FPs made in the 2000s the Lavezzi seems to be the worst. Not all boats have it and it can be fixed.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 15:52   #11
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
"All of the boats that have been quoted here can cross an ocean quite safely, as Yeloya says a net is one way of keeping the kids safe, however I would suggest taking the kids on a series of short trips before you set out on your world trip, that way they can go overboard a couple of times in protected waters, pick them up without too much danger.

I suggest this way as nothing is more effective than learning the lesson first hand for the kid in the water seeing the boat sailing away, they will think twice before they do anything silly that would see them go overboard again. "

I'm sure you didn't mean this to sound bad, but the thought of scaring kids to teach them a lesson on a boat is not something I would recommend.

Being involved with teaching kids to sail IMHO the last thing you want is to scare them.
If you're going to do that you will have a lot of trouble convincing them to get them on the boat in the first place.

As for FPs the Lavezzi's walk around transom is great for families and they can be bought for around $200K in the Caribbean and the Med.

Athenas are very nice but I think the Lavezzi has a better layout for families, just be aware of the osmosis issues with FPs made in the 2000s the Lavezzi seems to be the worst. Not all boats have it and it can be fixed.
No, I was meaning allow the kids to do what kids do, after you have had your talk with them, if they go overboard then they have learnt the consequence the hard way.
I guess another way of putting it, is the kid in the back seat that refuses to put his seat belt on, parent gets sick of it, put the brake on hard, kid gets thrown out of his seat while the car is going slow, as a result find it uncomfortable and never does it again.
That's simply my tact with my own kids, it happens once then never again.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 15:35   #12

Boat: Fontaine Pajot, Venezia 42
I just bought a Venezia 42. Most all of these were used for charter so are various stages of condition. 1996 was the year. Had it surveyed. No structural problems. Solid. In your price range.
islandguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 16:58   #13

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
Let me chime in as the biased R & C owner. The early Alexis & Simonis leopard designs are very sturdy, stable and sought after cats. IMHO ideal for circumnavigating. 38's are getting hard to come by but if you find one it will likely have been in private hands for a couple of years so the charter gremlins may be gone by now. The 42's are sweet and also within your budget.

Keep us posted on what you decide, and well see you on the water.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 20:18   #14

Hawaittaminute Dave - all us fp people just gave advise, we didn't plug out brand!! Wassup?
Old 13-01-2011, 20:19   #15

Ok, maybe we did

Tags
circumnavigation, kids