Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2012, 23:33   #1

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Looking to make contact with owners or those with considerable experience of this FP model to get some first hand information regarding this vessel as well as any known issues related to this model to be familiar with.

I am well aware of the other manufacturers who have competing vessels in this size range so don't want to get this thread off track by talking about alternatives as I want to stick to talking strickly about the Eleuthera 60 at this point.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 04:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Smile Re: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Hi Steve,
Maybe give Multihull Solutions in Mooloolaba, QLD a call and they may be able to pass on contact names of Eleuthera 60 owners in our area.

Cheers Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 05:04   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Maybe one of these CF members can help also.
MIRELOS and Palarran

Fountaine Pajot - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 11:08   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

I own an Eleuthera. A 2004 model that I purchased in 2009. How can I be of assistance?

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 21:17   #5

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far - most appreciated.

Mike,

Any information, based on your experience, that you can provide of any particular items to look out for when considering purchasing this model would be appreciated.

Is there anything in particular to look out for, or any particular problems with this model? I am aware that FP has had issues with hull blistering both above and below the waterline on other models so have you any knowledge of any such issues with the Eleuthera's?

Have you ran your vessel shorthanded, say with 2 on board? I would appreciate your comments in this regard and in relation to what conditions you feel this would be viable for a private cruising boat. I am well aware that in adverse conditions that a vessel of this size would certainlly be a handfull for a shorthanded crew and a larger crew would be required on long passages.

Any general performance information including average passage speeds. What is your opinion of it's overall performance? What sail configuration do you have & do you run a screecher?

It would also be helpfull to know a little about your own vessel - what configuration is it, do you try to keep your vessel fairly light or does she have all the comforts like a 12 Kva genset with air con & watermaker?

Anything that you can add regarding this FP model in general would be most appreciated,

Thanks,
Steve
Old 28-06-2012, 10:36   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Steve,

Lots of point to ponder here. If you wish to have a longer discussion about the boat PM me and I will give you a cell number. But in general…….

I have been on a lot of cats. I have seen some aspects on other cats that address what I feel are shortcomings on my boat but they are always offset by some other feature that I really don’t like. In short, after owning Vivo since fall of 2009, I have never been on a cat that I would trade her in for. We love that boat.

That having been said, addressing your questions in order.

I have had no issues with blistering. I have spoken to three other 60 owners and it’s the same with them.

An experienced crew of two can handle it. I had a crew on her for the first two seasons. (Chartered her). Now my wife and I run her. It is MUCH better to have a couple extra crew on board though.

We sail very conservatively and routinely make 200 mile days. I have sailed about 7,000 miles of blue water on her. Had a few bad days but overall a very stable platform. Main, Gib, Genaker (Also called a code zero.)

Mine is the 5 cabin version. But the 5th cabin is a crew quarters and is quite small. I use it for spares and a workshop area. Make a mess and just close the hatch on it. We have had crew use it but it’s a bit small.

For the size of the boat it is relatively light. Pops through the waves like a cork. Works against you when docking though. It can sail 3 knots sideways. Shallow draft + lots of windage = fun in the marina.

I have a 12KV, water maker, AC (rarely used). Lots of fridge and freezer space.

Been to 11 countries so far and would do it again in a minute.

Good luck with it.

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 14:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Steve,

As a FP service point, I have unfortunately seen quite a bit of osmosis problem in almost every model of FP but not on Eulethra. We have had two of them of for servicing, both owners were very happy. I had a short sailing with her and is one of fastest among FP's. The problem I see with her:
-it's an old design, even though it's a 60 feet, no real hard bimini which is nowadays standard even on much smaller cats. There is a a step in the entry of the the saloon that I didn't like much.
-the boat layout also is outdated and inside is about the same size as Salina 48..
-As far as I know FP has made very few of them albeit she was launched long ago. You risk to be the last owner of her.
Bottom line, fast, solid and seaworthy boat. If you get a veeerrryyy good price and don't mind the negatives I mentioned, go for it..
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 04:02   #8

Mike & yeloya,

Guys, thank you very much for your replies which have been most helpfull. It is certainly reassuring to hear that you have not experienced any osmosis in any Eleuthera's covering several owners. That's one item to tick off on the list then. I wonder why that is seeing that it is so prevalent in a lot of their other models? Did FP use a different layup process for them maybe?

From what you have said Mike it sounds like they are a good sea boat and I recall another owner on the forum Mirelos was also very impressed with the sea handling capabilities of his Eleuthera when bringing it across the Atlantic.

Mike thanks for your offer of speaking by phone, I'll keep this in mind should some questions come up that a phone call could cover in the future.

Regards,
Steve
Old 22-08-2012, 11:49   #9

Boat: F-P Eleuthera 60

Hi Steve.
After owning a Venezia 42, I bought my Eleuthera 60 in 2004 from the factory.
I lived aboard the last 8 years and bought now a house in Spain.
The cat was for me a floating appartment. I set it up for single-handed sailing, so for me it feels like the luxury of a big crew when I have just one extra person aboard.
Claims about speed are often ridiculous. Yes, I did 18.2 knots 3 times in all these years. Force 8 and a following sea, with an autopilot that can hardly handle, personally I like a steady 10 to 12 knots. That is the hull speed and you can keep the wine bottle on the table (so to speak).
My "best buys": washing machine (most have it now-a-days), industrial gel batteries (expensive but last 25-30 years when properly charged), a 24 volt watermaker, 540 Watt solarpanels, a Vespa 200cc scooter and an external WiFi antenna for free internet.
Less used: Generator (only for use of the heavier powertools, the solarpanels take care of the normal usage) and the dishwasher (for one or two people it goed quicker by hand).
For my private live-aboard use I chose the Maestro version. The "bedroom" is almost 7 metres long with in front a bathroom almost 3 metres long.
The other hull has the standard cabin in front with bathroom. The rear cabin is extra long ( 4 metres ) with bathroom and 5 berths or converted in a workshop.

These are just some impressions that come to mind. My general feeling was always that the extremely "fat" hulls made it not a racer, but a stable, safe platform, a real house surrounded by a huge outdoor pool.

Sunny greetings
Carl
tao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 12:40   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

FP lists 35 Eleutheras built. Here's a list of the total production for everything.
Fountaine Pajot / Une entreprise leader
Old 25-08-2012, 08:42   #11

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Hi Steve,
I bought mine last year and sailed her across the pond in July 2011, live on her all summer long. Great sailing boat, we crossed all against the wind in the northern latitudes due to the hurricane season and insurance requirement, really impressed me, big seas, big winds just kept on going only had to run once. Very strong and well designed. Some warranty issues which are a pain to deal with (ah, the French). Get rid of the Plastimo running rigging and get New England ropes. I installed solar and wind to keep all that refrigeration happy. Let me know what you want to know, I have taken most of the boat apart as it is my curious nature.
Carlos
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 08:46   #12

btw. I have # 34 the last one of the factory. # 35 the last one produced left for a life of chartering in the Pacific before mine was ready.
Old 25-08-2012, 08:58   #13

More personal info Steve,
I have a gennaker for light air, We were 4 on the transat 2 on 2 off, not a problem with the auto pilot.
No blisters
204 miles tripled reefed, not bad.
I have generator and air but no watermaker. She carries weight well.
Old 25-08-2012, 09:08   #14

one more thing to help you Steve,
Patrick Gilot at Multihull Solutions down under, best FP dealer. He actually helped me with issues from Australia and I'm in NY. A solid person.
Old 26-08-2012, 23:57   #15
DtM

I agree with that assessment of Patrick.

A good guy and incedibly helpful.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote