Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 12:06   #31

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
Re: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Well, that certainly brings an old post back to life. When CF blipped me on it I had completely forgotten the posts. So much has gone on since then.

Since the last post on this thread we sailed Vivo ½ way around the world. 2014 World ARC. We finally stopped in Australia. So far we have been to 26 countries on Vivo. Incredible experiences and she has never let us down. We went through a couple of circumstances that certainly put the fear of God in me but not Vivo. What a vessel.

For my wife and I that part of our lives is about over. But what a ride. Vivo is back in St Thomas USVI under charter management. We will likely be putting her on the market next year. As Tao2 put it, “lives change.”

If you get to St Thomas I can make arraignments for you to see the boat. Or if you really want to experience her book a charter!

I have been on quite a few other cats. Before and since the original post. Including several blue water passages on others boats and there is still no other cat that I have been on that does a better job of balancing the +/- compromises. Love the boat.

Good luck with the search.

Regards,

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 12:08   #32

We saw your boat-it looks beautiful. We are still 18+ months out from a purchase but have recently started researching the Eleuthera. We have four young children who are growing quickly, so will need room. We want to sail the med for a few years and then continue on a circumnavigation. I saw you have yours set up for single handed sailing. My husband and I can both sail but we do have children to look after on voyages. Is that possible on a Eleuthera? On an ocean crossing, we would bring 1-2 other crew members along but for the majority of the time-it would just be our family.

Any thoughts as we continue to look around? What to look for on a Eleuthera? What to be careful of? Things you would recommend changing? What areas of maintenance take the most time and the majority of the cost?

How did you find sailing in the Med with it? Do you find marinas able to take the size or did you need to moor or anchor? In the U.K., they charge 1.5 in the marinas. Have you found that to be the case in the Med or so you end up paying double?

Thanks!
daviesinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 12:10   #33

Thanks for the info! We are based in the U.K. But if we can find a way to get down to the Caribbean, we will have to see her! I posted in response to Tao of what we are planning to do...so you have any comments on any of those questions?
Old 28-05-2017, 12:24   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I've just seen once 4-5 years ago, we did some work on her. Well made, solid, light and fast boat. She's however an old generation cat; a lot of wasted volumes inside (probably not larger than 10 ft shorter Saba 50) steps between saloon and the cockpit and finally no hard top bimini.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 01:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I've just seen once 4-5 years ago, we did some work on her. Well made, solid, light and fast boat. She's however an old generation cat; a lot of wasted volumes inside (probably not larger than 10 ft shorter Saba 50) steps between saloon and the cockpit and finally no hard top bimini.

Cheers

Yeloya
How much of a show stopper is not having a hard Bimini? We've seen some cats with nice soft ones that zip up well, and provide shelter for the helm.
Old 29-05-2017, 02:36   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesinuk View Post
How much of a show stopper is not having a hard Bimini? We've seen some cats with nice soft ones that zip up well, and provide shelter for the helm.
The hard top bimini is a big plus IMO , but others might have different opinions. Being able to reach and handle easily the mainsail particularly in bad weather is important. That's why we receive a lot of demand from the owners of the Belize's for example for converting to hard top.
Nonetheless, the bimini of Eulethra is better than those of Belize, if I remember right, it has a kind of hard catway in the middle of the bimini so that you can walk on it.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 29-05-2017, 02:47   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The hard top bimini is a big plus IMO , but others might have different opinions. Being able to reach and handle easily the mainsail particularly in bad weather is important. That's why we receive a lot of demand from the owners of the Belize's for example for converting to hard top.
Nonetheless, the bimini of Eulethra is better than those of Belize, if I remember right, it has a kind of hard catway in the middle of the bimini so that you can walk on it.

Cheers

Yeloya
So it is possible to get Bimini conversions without too much trouble?
Old 29-05-2017, 04:33   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesinuk View Post
So it is possible to get Bimini conversions without too much trouble?
It's not a DIY if you want to make a decent one. A mould is first made, than GRP is laid on the mould. Changing the alu stanchions to SS is also done most of the time.
Depending on the size, I would have tought 8 to 15 K in euro could be the cost..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 29-05-2017, 05:40   #39

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

It has a hard Bimini down the center. It allows you to walk down the entire length of the boom. Both sides. Either side of that is a sumbrella sunshade awning/bimini. Keeps the weight down. Weight is the enemy of speed.

I have not cruised the med. My cursing grounds were eastern Caribbean, up and down the coast and out to Australia. Try a CF member who goes by Palaraan (sp?). He has/had a Marquesas 56 and did the med.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 20:09   #40

What are some of the things in your setup that allowed you to singlehand? :O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
Hi Steve.
After owning a Venezia 42, I bought my Eleuthera 60 in 2004 from the factory.
I lived aboard the last 8 years and bought now a house in Spain.
The cat was for me a floating appartment. I set it up for single-handed sailing, so for me it feels like the luxury of a big crew when I have just one extra person aboard.
Claims about speed are often ridiculous. Yes, I did 18.2 knots 3 times in all these years. Force 8 and a following sea, with an autopilot that can hardly handle, personally I like a steady 10 to 12 knots. That is the hull speed and you can keep the wine bottle on the table (so to speak).
My "best buys": washing machine (most have it now-a-days), industrial gel batteries (expensive but last 25-30 years when properly charged), a 24 volt watermaker, 540 Watt solarpanels, a Vespa 200cc scooter and an external WiFi antenna for free internet.
Less used: Generator (only for use of the heavier powertools, the solarpanels take care of the normal usage) and the dishwasher (for one or two people it goed quicker by hand).
For my private live-aboard use I chose the Maestro version. The "bedroom" is almost 7 metres long with in front a bathroom almost 3 metres long.
The other hull has the standard cabin in front with bathroom. The rear cabin is extra long ( 4 metres ) with bathroom and 5 berths or converted in a workshop.

These are just some impressions that come to mind. My general feeling was always that the extremely "fat" hulls made it not a racer, but a stable, safe platform, a real house surrounded by a huge outdoor pool.

Sunny greetings
Carl
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:48   #41

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Eleuthera, 60ft

Hello Owners Eleuthera 60s
Papillon is S/N 24 purchased new and sailed from factory in La Rochelle to Victoria, Bc, Canada. I live aboard in the Pacific Northwest. S/N 55 was the last one constructed. Lies in Florida.
Papillon is the owner's version and being an engineer/sailor, Papillon is maintained in pristine condition. Loaded with all extras. First to convince FP that Papillon should have a covered fiberglass cockpit. If anyone wishes to know anything about the various systems of this model, feel free to contact me. I have intimate experience with all.
Cheers Lawrence (Lawrence.papillon@gmail.com)
OnePapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:06   #42

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Hello all,
I own Eleuthera #34, 35 were made but #34 was the last one out of the factory. I did have the hard dodger made at FP, glad I did; more solar panels and safer to walk on when tending to the mainsail. Sailed from LaRochelle to NYC in June, northern route against the normal route (insurance requirements) and the boat proved to be an excellent sailor going to weather on a variety of conditions. Not a racing catamaran but super comfortable, I calculate 10-12knts when planing a voyage, yes she can hit 20 but that is not a realistic speed for calculations. My wife and I (and dog) sail her by ourselves. Very well built (strong) and comfortable. Added solar panels On top of Bimini and on top of davits, also a wind generator. Did find pox seven years after purchase and all the running rigging had to be changed after crossing the pond......we love the boat.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:12   #43

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Eleuthera, 60ft

Hello
S/N 24 here in the Pacific Nortyhwest. Papillon, 2007 launched La Rochelle, France (Factory) I know my vessel intimately. I can field your qusetions.

Notwithstanding also try www.aeroyacht.com . Gregor Tarjan, the patron Saint of multihulls.

Cheers
Lawrence
OnePapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:26   #44

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

indeed Gregor knows multihulls and is a pleasure to deal with
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote