Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 21:24   #76

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Just have to say that Lighter does not necessarily mean Weaker but it certainly means faster....

I've delivered and skippered a huge amount of catamarans, mainly from East Coast USA to the Caribbean and back but also transatlantic. Of all the cats, I really do prefer the F-P range: I find them consistently faster and with higher pointing ability. My favourite is the Bahia 46 which unfortunately has ceased production.

The dissimilar metal problem is also the only thing that has niggled me: otherwise, they are ergonomically well laid out (except for that dam silly half stepdown into the galley area!)

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:04   #77

Galley step on a Bahia

That half step down to the galley.Comes in useful if "someone" leaves the galley taps running.pops up on deck and allows up to 200 gallons to flood out!Only the starboard hull needs to be cleaned up.
josef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:53   #78

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
That half step down to the galley.Comes in useful if "someone" leaves the galley taps running.pops up on deck and allows up to 200 gallons to flood out!Only the starboard hull needs to be cleaned up.
Well, damme, Josef - I'd never thought of that!! (Sounds like maybe you've had experience of that happening to you??)

best, Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 18:09   #79

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Belize 43 - Fairwinds
Cheap? Are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
I really enjoyed reading all your comments.well I am a brand new FP owner,I haven't got my boat yet,probably by year end.I hear a lot of negative things about FP cats and how cheaply they are buit.....if you could comment on that.My boat will be based in Tampa bay,florida.
I purchased a 2004 Belize 43, 2 years ago. I have sailed a minimum of 90 days per year and I amazed at the quality and attention to detail. I could not be more pleased. I recently attendended the owners regata in Martinique and EVERYONE had a huge smile and a knowing nod of the head. A very happy group of owners. Not one horror story told during the three day event. You are soon to be a "Lucky Owner" and that smile will be all over your face! Good sailing - Ty
tyebright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 22:00   #80

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Maiden sail - 12 knots in 20 knots of wind with reefed main & genny! I've got no complaints at all!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 11:43   #81

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Maiden sail - 12 knots in 20 knots of wind with reefed main & genny! I've got no complaints at all!

GOOD ON YOU!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:51   #82
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
It's been a little over a year since I bought my Athena 38. She is a 95 model out of Charter. I have put alot of work into her. When I first saw the Mahe at Miami Strickly sail 06 I was wondering if I shouldn't have made the leap into the new boat instead. Then I was asked to help deliver the same 36 to NC later on. At times I can be too honest for my own good. If I had the chance to get a Mulligan and do it again I'd still buy the older Athena over the new Mahe. I'm not knocking anyones choice but it comes down to value and price comparrsion for me. Now this is just me, but I never bought a boat that I didn't have to spend money on after the sale to bring her up to my personal specs. My belief after days on the Mahe is that FP should have spent another 15K-20K to do things right at the factory. It's far easier and alot less expensive to do it right during construction. The same work done by an owner if contracted out after purchase could easily be triple that amount if not more. I've spoken to FP reps about this and of course it always comes down to bean counting and trying to build a Cat that people could afford. When one spends over 200K to buy a boat I don't know that another 15K would be a deal breaker. I've always been of the mind that if you want to ruin a good thing bring in the bean counters. My first impression of the Mahe was that this ones going to put a hurt on Lagoon. After close inspection though I believe to do this the 15K has to be spent at the FP factory. Just my opinion and we all know about those.

Tellie
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 04:06   #83
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
"It's far easier and alot less expensive to do it right during construction. The same work done by an owner if contracted out after purchase could easily be triple that amount if not more"

Well I am not sure on that...

First of all, what is right for you may not be so for others. I belive they are trying to spend money behind items that they think it would make sense for everyone. Some others, are listed in their optionals. The remaining part it's not even there. Some items could be cheaper to be made in the factory, some others not. (3 times cheaper, no way..Manpower is extremely expensive in France, maybe 2 to 3 times more expensive than in the US.) The material to be used would come cheaper because they use the scale of economy buying in much bigger quantitites.

After all, they are trying to be competitive price wise delivering the minimum possible. Like in the car industry, the moment you start asking this and that, the pirice goes out of ceiling..
In Orano, a bow for down wing sail costs around K 10 USD. The maximum I would pay to make it done here, would be K 4 USD. For a decent A/C + Genset, the price is exceeding K 50 !!!!

I think they are making good money out of these optionals and/or trying to discourage people from this optionals which disturb their production line / speed. (which in turn ensures them to be competitive in base prices..)

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 13:19   #84
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Well I am not sure on that...

First of all, what is right for you may not be so for others. I belive they are trying to spend money behind items that they think it would make sense for everyone. Some others, are listed in their optionals. The remaining part it's not even there. Some items could be cheaper to be made in the factory, some others not. (3 times cheaper, no way..Manpower is extremely expensive in France, maybe 2 to 3 times more expensive than in the US.) The material to be used would come cheaper because they use the scale of economy buying in much bigger quantitites.

After all, they are trying to be competitive price wise delivering the minimum possible. Like in the car industry, the moment you start asking this and that, the pirice goes out of ceiling..
In Orano, a bow for down wing sail costs around K 10 USD. The maximum I would pay to make it done here, would be K 4 USD. For a decent A/C + Genset, the price is exceeding K 50 !!!!

I think they are making good money out of these optionals and/or trying to discourage people from this optionals which disturb their production line / speed. (which in turn ensures them to be competitive in base prices..)

Cheers

Yeloya

You are right, what works for others doesn't always equate into what works for you. I have to give the benifit of the doubt to FP because I did not have their option upgrades list when I delivered the Mahe. So what was missing may have been the owners choice. Most of what I observed was sizing. Now this was one of the first Mahes built and I sailed it less than a year ago so again I'm willing to give FP the benifit of the doubt. But regardless of the man power costs in France, it takes no more manpower to install larger sized equipment than it does smaller sized. For example the standing rigging. Another was the 800 watt Leroy Somes windlass. We tripped the breaker on that wimp several times just bringing up the chain under no load from about 15' of depth. The owner could drop another 2K on a Lofrans 1200W but he'd drop another 2K on re-sizing the guage and having a Marine electrician install the wire from the chain locker to the Port engine compartment. Again FP would have spent far less than 4K to do it right. These are just two examples that stand out, my list was longer. Understand I like the FPs as I own an older Athena. I offer this only as constructive criticism because I'd love to see FP corner the market over Lagoon which I think is doable with the Mahe36. Still even though the Mahe is a entry level Cat, 200K plus is a lot of money and I doubt as I said before another 15K would be a deal breaker for someone wanting to purchase a new Mahe. FP should take a lesson from Toyota and Honda. Their Accords and Camrys are big sellers for good reason.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 18:17   #85

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Still even though the Mahe is a entry level Cat, 200K plus is a lot of money and I doubt as I said before another 15K would be a deal breaker for someone wanting to purchase a new Mahe. FP should take a lesson from Toyota and Honda. Their Accords and Camrys are big sellers for good reason.
You are right as far a I am concerned.

I was offered a great deal at the St. Pete boat show but there was one deal breaker for me.

It was venitliation.

There simply are not enough hatches or ports(none), and the salon has no opening windows.

Not in Florida for sure.
Old 24-01-2008, 11:08   #86

Therapy, Are you planning to attend the Miami show? There will be a new Mahe 36 there. Fountaine-Pajot has added another port in the salon for more ventalation and you can always put another hatch in the cabin top.
HMachiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 19:47   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMachiz View Post
Therapy, Are you planning to attend the Miami show? There will be a new Mahe 36 there. Fountaine-Pajot has added another port in the salon for more ventalation and you can always put another hatch in the cabin top.
Yes I will be there.

There is a picture of the new port on the other Mahe thread.
Pretty small.

I am under the impression it is not wise to cut the salon roof. I read it somewhere.....probably on the other Mahe thread.

That leaves the hulls with no ports still.

Since I have no sailing time on a large cat I cannot say that this ventilation I think I need is valid. I just think it (staying in the boat) can't be much different, ventilation-wise than on a mono.
Old 25-01-2008, 01:25   #88

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I am under the impression it is not wise to cut the salon roof.
Given enough reinforcement it shouldnt be a problem, not very difficult.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 06:45   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yes I will be there.

There is a picture of the new port on the other Mahe thread.
Pretty small.

I am under the impression it is not wise to cut the salon roof. I read it somewhere.....probably on the other Mahe thread.

That leaves the hulls with no ports still.

Since I have no sailing time on a large cat I cannot say that this ventilation I think I need is valid. I just think it (staying in the boat) can't be much different, ventilation-wise than on a mono.
There are ports in the aft cabins that open into the cockpit and the escape hatches in the heads can be left open for ventalation when the boat is moored or docked. The boat is built strong enough for an additional hatch in the salon.
HMachiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 09:23   #90

Boat: Catana 471
Dual purpose hatches

For anyone considering adding hatches on decks/roofs: remember that in addition to providing ventilation, hatches also make excellent tripping hazards.

Make sure the extra ventilation is worth the risk of tripping over a closed hatch or stepping into an open one.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot