Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 17:59   #166

Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 06:44   #167
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsaw View Post
I am relatively new to using this forum. But I think I was able to upload a picture that shows the davits on the astrea. My agent had gone to France for a look at one of the boats and sent me this picture.
Astrea 42 Davits - Photo of davits Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Hope that works
Great to see a pic - not sure this one is loading? I’d love to see it close up. It’s amazing that FP have an Astrea built with these Davits and yet haven’t been able to share one with customers who have been asking. Hmmm.
Old 18-08-2018, 22:50   #168

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Thankyou for all the good information and tips to consider re the Astrea 42 and her options. I have just joined the forum and recently ordered an Astrea 42 at the SYD boat show and will need to ‘firm’ up my options by end of month as I’m expecting ex factory in Dec 18, #26. Owned boats all my life, however I have never sailed and not sure about the ‘ropes’ all over the deck. I once believed that you pulled on the ropes to raise the sheet, I think I have a lot to learn in the next few months LOL. Actually went to the SYD boat show and intended buying a Power Catamaran as I transition into retirement believing that my wife and I would only cruise east coast Australia. However we have had our eyes opened and have seen the light or the ‘wind’ in this case. Power is relatively limiting whereas ‘sailing’ opens the horizons to ones imagination, we just need to accept 8 kts as fast. My best friend tells me “it’s about the journey and not just the destination” I guess time will tell. Anyhow, back to the Astrea and her options. The Astrea ticks almost every box for my wife and I as far as comfort, room and size, we can only assume she will sail equally as well as she looks and feels. We both love the entertaining space and equally the accommodation which other brands lacked (in our opinion) also just love the electric ‘swim platform’ a no brainer for what we will be mostly using her for.

We were very excited about the ‘Jack and Jill’ shower in the guest accommodation and we have selected that as an option but after reading some posts on this forum we will definatly need to reconsider our options. Hard to believe that FP made a terrible error with their design for what can only be described as an excellent concept. There has to be a ‘good’ reason behind the ‘flawed’ design. I will follow up with MHS this week to determine what if any thing is going to be done to improve this ‘shared’ bathroom concept. The lack of privacy is in our opinion unacceptable and defeats the purpose of having three private ensuites. I’m guessing that any fix will be too late for a Dec 18 delivery so I’m thinking option 2 will be taken with only a shower in the aft guest cabin. I would be very grateful if anyone can share any more information on this subject. All other options as selected appear to be good, still contemplating the watermaker but think I might go for the portable ‘Rainmaker’ designed and made in Australia. Relatively inexpensive and simple in its use. Glad to be a part of the Astrea 42 family and so looking forward to hand over in March next year. I will not be taking delivery ex factory, all seems far too difficult for a novice like me. I will take some sailing lessons between now and March so we can sail her north to the tropical paradise of the world heritage Whitsunday Islands.
paws4pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 20:39   #169
MAE

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Hi All,
Apologies for not updating you all on the Sydney Boat Show after my late night celebrating beer on the bow. Just something, a private moment encompassing many emotions as a new boatie. Met some very happy new owners & sales were good

Silly really as we now have another Prime Minister....strange place Oz ha ha.

Sadly I was called back home so missed the sailing trials so there are a few people out there will know more than I . Frustrating as this is I am trying to get hold of some drone footage of the the trials on the Harbour to post next week. Best Wishes
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 02:29   #170

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)

Congratulations. We had the 42 on our watchlist but finally we signed a Leopard45. I really did not like the helm position with poor access to the halyards and a very poor view backwards. She has a very nice design and is looking much bigger than 42. But I am glad that I passed her. Have fun
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 04:21   #171

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAE View Post
Hi All,
Apologies for not updating you all on the Sydney Boat Show after my late night celebrating beer on the bow. Just something, a private moment encompassing many emotions as a new boatie. Met some very happy new owners & sales were good

Silly really as we now have another Prime Minister....strange place Oz ha ha.

Sadly I was called back home so missed the sailing trials so there are a few people out there will know more than I . Frustrating as this is I am trying to get hold of some drone footage of the the trials on the Harbour to post next week. Best Wishes
Hope all is well at home. Looking forward to seeing your footage. I was just reminded by watching a clip of Senator John McCain who just stopped his cancer treatments that we need to enjoy each and every moment; enjoy the "boatie!"

Best regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 06:10   #172
MAE

Hi Lee, yes there is not as much time as we think...McCain is amazing!! Brian is right instead of driving his Broker mad, we as members can help each other with honest comment albeit we may have different needs.Just think with all it's Frenchness + and - I found myself just looking at things around the boat and thinking that''s so good. You are not far away from your Show hope you feel the same way! I think Nils spent 2 hours on her. Best regards Alan
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 20:44   #173

Thanks everyone for comments so far on the thread. Good considerations and discussion.
It pretty much confirms our decision to purchase an Astrea with DYC back in May. Lots of research up until then and had virtually decided on a Lucia until the Astrea was announced in January. We have an April/May 18 slot then into charter in Greece.
Great cat and like you MAE and paws, we had a chance to see it at the Sydney Boat Show. Can't wait!
Sheldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 21:24   #174

Hi all. We did a test sail on Saturday in Mooloolaba with Nod from MHS on the boat that was at the Sydney boat show. Bugger all wind but we coasted along at 4 knots in 7 knots of breeze. Coming out of the heads I took her up to 3000rpm and was surprised to reach 9.6 knots! At 1600 rpm we moved at 6.5 knots. Super impressed with everything and spitting chips we have to wait to May 2020 to get ours

Ken and Karen
The Cunning Plan
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 05:31   #175

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

I remember the news that McCain was diagnosed ... At that same moment my brother, who wanted to sail around the world, was fighting his lost battle. But it was also the moment we were so happy that we took the decision to order our Astréa. And it still does. Let's enjoy also the time waiting but preparing

And for all those who want to see some details: Uchimata has published a great collection of detailed pictures on their website:
Le nouveau Astréa 42 Fountaine-Pajot - Uchimata
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 23:20   #176

In the process of boat hunt. The Astrea 42 looking very appealing. Just a question... What is the general perception of the helm station being separated from the winches? That’s the only thing I would feel looks better on the Lagoon. But maybe there are advantages that I don’t get.
Thanks
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 23:41   #177

I thought the same thing before doing the test sale last weekend - how do you bring the boat around when tacking and handle the genoa sheets at the same time? It wasn't hard at all as I just put the autopilot through 90 degrees and backed the genoa through the turn. Easy peasy.

I've done a bit of time on a Lagoon 380S and found it quite messy with the winches right above the helm. Everything was all over the place.

With the Astrea, the helm is well clear of the sheets and winches, the space below the winches for running the sheets into was huge, the halyards were held to the side on a loop of strapping putting them neatly out of the way, and the whole thing was much "cleaner" and well organised than the lagoon IMHO.
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 01:40   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and the Fox View Post
I thought the same thing before doing the test sale last weekend - how do you bring the boat around when tacking and handle the genoa sheets at the same time? It wasn't hard at all as I just put the autopilot through 90 degrees and backed the genoa through the turn. Easy peasy.

I've done a bit of time on a Lagoon 380S and found it quite messy with the winches right above the helm. Everything was all over the place.

With the Astrea, the helm is well clear of the sheets and winches, the space below the winches for running the sheets into was huge, the halyards were held to the side on a loop of strapping putting them neatly out of the way, and the whole thing was much "cleaner" and well organised than the lagoon IMHO.
Perfect, just the answer I was hoping for. Maybe it would be good to have electric winch controls at the helm for minor sail adjustments?
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:31   #179

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I'm not sure I'd want the elec winch controls at the helm with the winches away from me.

I was going to suggest you ask the Helia owners how they like/deal with their setup, since it's the same, and they now have lots of real world experience. I think there are some Youtubes of it being shown.

Love the A42!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:54   #180

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAE View Post
Hi Lee, yes there is not as much time as we think...McCain is amazing!! Brian is right instead of driving his Broker mad, we as members can help each other with honest comment albeit we may have different needs.Just think with all it's Frenchness + and - I found myself just looking at things around the boat and thinking that''s so good. You are not far away from your Show hope you feel the same way! I think Nils spent 2 hours on her. Best regards Alan
I recon I did. What a nice yacht. But I am holding on to my Helia [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]