Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 14:42   #46

Re: World Magnetic Model Plugin

Will opencpn transmit courses in Mag vs True as a result?
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 14:47   #47

Boat: Phantom 19

My plan is to do some work in this area for the 2.7 release. If you file a feature request into the tracker at OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist, it will for sure be taken into account. The better you describe what you would like to have the more chances you will get it...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 04:16   #48

Thanks Pavel. I just have a magnetic orientation. Opencpn with true is an exception among all my toys. It would be nice to not have possible confusion.

Bruce
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:38   #49

Boat: Simonis 50
Re: World Magnetic Model plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Version 0.2 is out, considered stable
Changes:
  • Fixed crash in settings dialog
  • Changed window behavior from being globally on top to be just on top of the application window
  • Night mode support
  • Units shown (if you don't like it, make your custom .mo file)
  • Model expiration note and instructions added in plugin description
  • Plugin now clearly shows it's hate to the magnetician community by strictly using the nautical term Magnetic Variation instead of Geomagnetic Declination The magneticians can also make their own .mo to revert it as a revenge.
Download for Windows and Linux from https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/downloads
If anybody makes a Mac version, send it to me to make it available as well - there are still no apples on my table.

If someone wants to translate the plugin, the POT can be downloaded from https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/blo...i.pot?raw=true
Just send me back the .po and I will make the localization available for download.

Enjoy

Pavel
Hi Pavel

I am highjacking the thread somewhat.
On your RleData downloads page, https://github.com/nohal/RleData/downloads you have a file called "bitmap_symbols-2.5.0.zip".

What .png icons are these for?
Meaning, are these the full list of nautical icons?
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:51   #50

MooseMoney...
The contents of this archive are all the bitmap chart symbols from the rasterization library as of OpenCPN 2.5.0 (<OpenCPN install location>\s57data\S52RAZDS.RLE) I've exported them during the discussion about applying the notices to mariners to the NGA charts to see what we have readily available.
This means not all the chart symbols are there, but quite a big part of them. To get an image of what's it all about, go to OpenCPN - Rasterization Rules Editor - Redmine and download the editor to see the complete contents of the rasterization library.

Pavel
Old 28-11-2011, 16:49   #51

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
MooseMoney...
The contents of this archive are all the bitmap chart symbols from the rasterization library as of OpenCPN 2.5.0 (<OpenCPN install location>\s57data\S52RAZDS.RLE) I've exported them during the discussion about applying the notices to mariners to the NGA charts to see what we have readily available.
This means not all the chart symbols are there, but quite a big part of them. To get an image of what's it all about, go to OpenCPN - Rasterization Rules Editor - Redmine and download the editor to see the complete contents of the rasterization library.

Pavel
Thank you!
I'm asking because I'm thinking about making the same icons/marks - nautically correct. But 50% to 100% larger - especially for people with weak close up eyesight. I personally have difficulty seeing such icons/marks without my reading glasses and it is frustrating to constantly put glasses on and then taking them off. Obviously such icons/marks will all be freeware.
Any thoughts on this?
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 23:37   #52

Moose...
Interesting idea. It would be easy to calculate the scaled-up versions of the bitmaps in the presentation library automatically. For sure less work to code this into the editor than to have to do it manually.
The results of course would not be perfectly smooth, but that can be improved manually later.

Pavel
Attached Images

Old 24-12-2011, 12:13   #53

Boat: EX prawn trawler 14m

I'm new to linux and confused as to where this download should be placed.

It's working in widoze
Any help would be much appreciated
RED DOG
redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 13:07   #54

Dog...
About Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage - "Installing a Plugin" is the part you should see. Generally /usr/local/lib/opencpn should be the place.

Pavel
Old 24-12-2011, 14:20   #55

Pavel
Thanks for the location I have given it a go
I was on the right path
The problem seems to be with permissions of folders
I am using Ubuntu and as this boat computer is solely used for navigation (and of course music to sooth the sole) and not connected to internet I would really like to throw permissions out the door, as my windows are all fixed
I know this is not the correct site to be talking linux but the support provided probably doesn't agree with removing permissions totally in one action
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
RED DOG
Old 25-12-2011, 01:22   #56

Dog...
Remember that what you want to do is one of the worst things you could. You can't throw the permissions away, but you can login as the almighty superuser able to break anything on your system without any limitations. The tutorial to do it is for example at BSD/Linux Tutorial Zone: How to login as root on Ubuntu
But remember that there was a very good reason why the Ubuntu guys did not make it easy. You've been warned...

Pavel
Old 26-12-2011, 13:46   #57

Pavel
Advice understood
Question then.
1:I installed Open using my logon not root , why do I have to play with the permissions of the open folder to add your wmm plugin to the folder??

The permissions of the open folder being

Owner:1001-user#1001 Folder Access:Create and delete Files

Group:Admin Folder Access: Access Files

Others Folder Access: Access Files
At the bottom of the opencpn Properties window is written "You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions"

2:Can I install programs so that I have permission to make changes without having to log on as the almighty??
Thanks again for all you help
RED DOG
Old 26-12-2011, 13:59   #58
Marine Service Provider

redog....

You do not need su privileges to run all normal function of OpenCPN.

You do need SU privileges to install plugins (once).
Why? Because plugins may be shared among multiple users, so their administration (install/delete) is an admin function.

Trust Pavel. linux permissions may seem ridiculous and annoying at first encounter, but they will save your a-- at some point, which point may be 2000 miles out in mid-Pacific, and far from an internet connection.

BTW, this is one reason why linux users almost never have to reload the operating system from scratch. I never have, except for planned upgrades.

The command "sudo" is your best friend on Ubuntu.

Any specific problems we can help you with?
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26   #59

Boat: 29'

a place for a "plug"?
If your hdd dies or even the CD\DVD rom,there are Linux distros that can be loaded from cd or usb and they run in RAM only,so consequently,OpenCPN+Charts and whatever else you need could be loaded onto a crippled computer....
On a cd,the OS is "read-only" so you can't wreck it!
signed:a Novitiate of Puppy Linux...(not yet ordained)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 06:45   #60

All...
Couldn't resist the temptation to try the new toolbar icon API in OpenCPN 2.6.1624 - If you are using the latest beta, the new WMM plugin 0.5 is available for Windows users at https://github.com/downloads/nohal/w...i18_v05_pi.dll
To build on Linux, get the code at https://github.com/nohal/wmm_pi - I will do an official build later.
There's a new string to translate in the settings dialog, so if you want the GUI in your favorite language to be complete, grab the respective .po file at https://github.com/nohal/wmm_pi/tree/wmm/po, translate the missing string and post it to me for inclusion.

Note that you must be using the latest OpenCPN 2.6.1624 beta to use this version of the plugin at all and your GPS has to be connected and submitting data for the new feature to work.

Enjoy

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wmm_0.5.png
Views:	125
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	40364