Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2017, 02:01   #1

Wifi Connection

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty connecting OpenCPN to the internet via wifi in order to download Grib files as I'm not sure of the DataPort details.

Any suggestions on what details to enter or where I might find them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Lily66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 02:18   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Wifi Connection

Can be done is several ays. I prefer to use the external program Zygrib to dovnload grib files. Download the grib files with zygrib, and use the downloaded grib file with opencpn zyGrib: grib file, weather data visualization
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 02:57   #3

Thanks Petter5,
I have managed to download them from an external program but was hoping to remove this step by downloading them directly into OpenCPN using the features of the plugin. I've entered our IP address into the connections but not too sure where to locate the DataPort details?
Thanks for your reply,
Chris
Old 13-08-2017, 05:23   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily66 View Post
Thanks Petter5,
I have managed to download them from an external program but was hoping to remove this step by downloading them directly into OpenCPN using the features of the plugin. I've entered our IP address into the connections but not too sure where to locate the DataPort details?
Thanks for your reply,
Chris
This feature is still not implemented. Some times ago there was asked for a developer who might do it.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 07:26   #5

Boat: Najad 34

Chris..
As Gerhard says there's no way to manage direct download of grib files to the grib plugin. The only way is to use your mail and request a file. I'm not sure what "connections" you try to use, but if you're talking about OpenCPN's data connection tool it's something completely different and is not connected to the grib plugin.

I've done it half automatically by a rule in my mail program to save any attached file in all mails coming from Saildocs. Then I let the grib plugin read from the same place.

For the future it's though possible we can see a direct download function in the grib plugin for desktops, since it's now a feature in OCPN for Androids.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 07:47   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

And what is a DataPort in the first place?

I can't see menu dataport in OpenCPN at all.

I download the gribs externally, then use them in whatever application I have.

Qtvlm can download the gribs from within the routing package.

Externally, I use ZyGrib or else files taken from the websites that link to gribs by area.

Hope this helps. Now tell me more on that DataPort thing that my copy of OpenCPN is missing.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 08:42   #7

Thanks everyone, it seems that I am either trying to do something that is not supported or not explaining myself very well.

I'll try again - when I go into the Grib icon and select 'write and send eMail request' enter all the details and press 'request' it comes up with an message that there is an error with my email parameters.
Although my laptop is connected to the wifi OpenCPN is not.
So I go to Tools-Options-Connections-Add Connection and it asks for Address (I assume this is IP address) and then it asks for DataPort, however as this is a wifi connection I'm not sure what to enter.

Hope that's a little clearer... I've tried to attach pictures but this forum app crashes every time I try (not having much luck with technology today!)

Chris
Old 13-08-2017, 08:51   #8

The email grib request doesn't work in any case and is very buggy. Better use an external app to get gribs as mentioned here already. Therefore times ago a direct download for grib data was desired. However it seems nobody will do it. See more here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-186846.html

Gerhard
Old 13-08-2017, 09:00   #9

Thanks so much for that info Gerhard, it has saved me wasting any more time on it.
Kind regards,
Chris
Old 13-08-2017, 09:26   #10

Quote:
Thanks everyone, it seems that I am either trying to do something that is not supported or not explaining myself very well.

I'll try again - when I go into the Grib icon and select 'write and send eMail request' enter all the details and press 'request' it comes up with an message that there is an error with my email parameters.
So I go to Tools-Options-Connections-Add Connection and it asks for Address (I assume this is IP address) and then it asks for DataPort, however as this is a wifi connection I'm not sure what to enter.

Hope that's a little clearer... I've tried to attach pictures but this forum app crashes every time I try (not having much luck with technology today!)

Chris
As CarCode and others have noted, many use an external app to obtain GRIB files.

The Android OpenCPN app by Dave has a built-in download feature for a few GRIBs.

The GRIB plugin running in OpenCPN under Windows, MAC and (some) Linux systems can automate the sending of an email to obtain a GRIB from SailMail or Zygrib. If someone reading this post wants to use this feature, here is a link to the instructions:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...r:mail_servers

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 10:12   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

Chris
The connections aren't involved, the plugin is looking for a default email program - do you have one set up? I just set up thunderbird on my W10 laptop and the plugin prepares an email fine, you just need to send then save the attachment somewhere a few seconds later when the reply email arrives.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 11:17   #12

Boat: Najad 34

The email request is also working very fine every time for me. I'm on Windows and have Thunderbird as the Windows system email program.
Very handy. Just view the area you need a forecast for in OCPN and push the request button in grib_pi. Then the email is prepared and I've to push the send button. It takes no more than a minute or so to receive the answer. And if you wish it's possible to learn Thunderbird to save the attached file where you want.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:42   #13

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Opencpn is not the problem. Your computer must be connected via wifi. It sounds to me like you need computer assistance from someone in your family.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 15:47   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

and then it asks for DataPort, however as this is a wifi connection I'm not sure what to enter.
Chris,

I am so sorry!

It is just Dave or someone developing at OpenCPN using a phrase (very likely the correct one) and me not aware of it.

Anyways, when nmea data is sent over TCP, a port is/can be specified. When you buy wifi / ethernet capable nmea hardware / software, the manufacturer should post this port number somewhere in the manual. It normally follows the 4/3 IP info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...P_port_numbers

So a complete info for net connections is not just the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx of the IP (that you can get by typing ipconfig into the cmd window), but also the port number (the port = the DataPort in OpenCPN jargon). At times port number info is not used (I believe maybe this implies : listen to all ports).

One can scan a remote machine (e.g. your wifi nmea router or server) for open ports but likely this is not one of the things you do everyday. So just scan the box or email the manufacturer and they will let you know what port is being used for their specific nmea gadget.

Sorry for sounding stiff upper lip earlier. I again made myself an idiot today.

Hugs,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 22:57   #15

barnakiel,

he wants to get grib files via WiFi and that has nothing to do with NMEA or TCP ports. It is the wrong horse you are talking about.

Gerhard

Tags
wifi