Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 10:53   #16

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: WeatherFax...

Change the name to Samples.7z and unzip.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57   #17

I would like to thank every one for the interest they have shown in the suggestion for a weather-fax plug-in. Unfortunately I cannot write code so am unable to offer any help in producing the plug-in.

From what has been said previously it would seem that this could be produced and incorporated into the program relatively easily – Correct me if I am wrong here ????

I like most cost conscious passage makers rely heavily on weatherfax when on passage – primarily because it is an easy to obtain low technology service available anywhere in the world via the SSB radio and does not cost anything. The technology behind the transmissions may be old but it is easy to obtain and has world wide coverage which is not reliant on costly commercial interests for coverage or content provision.

Being able to incorporate it as an overlay on the charts when using OpenCPPN would be a major improvement to the overall program – and it would be of benefit to all of the cruising community, especially passage makers and cost conscious live-aboards.

I hope that the interest shown to date will lead to a working application in the near future.
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 13:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
A few samples of wx-fax-kaps.
Attachment 54165

Thomas
Interesting

I like being able to use the O tools, such as measure, on the WX.

I find it hard to select the forecast I want. I am only getting a couple of the files to show on the chart selection on the bottom of O. If we could start them from the file into which they were zipped, that would be great.

Are these from the radio fax or the website?

What process was used?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:23   #19

Boat: Phantom 19
Yes, that's the problem with the weather charts- you end up having a lot of them covering the same area and we still didn't implement any elegant way to switch between them. Chart groups and fiddling the maximum number of the charts displayed in the bar in the config file help to some extent, but it still could be much better...
Can't speak for cagney, but I suppose his workflow is still the same - a script downloading the charts from the net and processing them using a previously hand-created calibration info on a linux box. It's not that hard to adapt the process to use images acquired through ssb or to implement the same for other operating systems, but so far it hasn't been done AFAIK.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:58   #20

Not a linux user and not a programmer.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:26   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This is cool and very useful. Thanks Nohal for the samples. How are wxFax .wav from SSB and internet download converted to Kap?

I created a Chart Group wxFax, added the wxFax directory, scanned the database, and it works. 24 hour fax and 48 hour fax. Thank you... we need to use a converter?

Maybe there could be some way to page through the identical faxes at different hours. Maybe a plugin would manage the wxFax series/groups needed and manage and retain source setup information (internet links, location, scale, transparency, SSB channel and settings, and other details). The the oval selectors work too. It doesn't appear that it would take much to automate this a little more and make it useful to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenCpn-WxFax-Overlay-using-Kaps.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	54214  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41   #22

Maybe the download / connection information is stored in a simple text file format and can be added to and modified. And we develop a typical download / connection list from various good sources, with each one Named and brief description.

This file is then used to download from the internet when available, or connect to the SSB and place the file in an established wxFax directory, set with "Browse".

Translation to KAP would occur at some point after download (two different translators? one for download and one for SSB?), and the original file could be deleted automatically or not depending on selection. If the wxFax series needed Long, Lat and scale info stored, then those user selections would be stored (maybe before becoming a "final" Kap with complete info? ).

Set transparency level.

Then maybe a wxFax selector for which ones to make available in the charts as overlay?

Maybe this is a plugin at first then perhaps it gets a separate page in Setup Menu?

Quote:
Pavel:
Can't speak for cagney, but I suppose his workflow is still the same - a script downloading the charts from the net and processing them using a previously hand-created calibration info on a linux box. It's not that hard to adapt the process to use images acquired through ssb or to implement the same for other operating systems, but so far it hasn't been done AFAIK.
Also Pavel gives link for process here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1149207
Old 08-02-2013, 09:37   #23

Python WeatherReader (also superceded by Java version)
WeatherReader

JWX
A Java short-wave weatherfax receiver/converter
JWX
As with most of my programs, JWX is released under the GPL.

Here are the JWX download options:
Maybe this is downloaded and used to get the images. Then the Plugin handles the conversion and transparency, etc.
Old 08-02-2013, 13:33   #24

WeatherReader and more recent JWX (java version)

"... Recently, I decided to try creating a weatherfax demodulator/receiver entirely in software — no demodulator box, no printer, just a shortwave receiver attached to the computer's sound card, ...only possible because computers are much faster, and sound cards more sophisticated...a complete success, and WeatherReader is the result. To use WeatherReader, you need:
  • A computer running either Linux or Windows.
  • A good-quality shortwave radio, able to tune the range 2 - 25 MHz, with a single-sideband mode.
  • An audio patch cord to connect the receiver to your computer's sound card line (or microphone) input.
That's all — nothing else is needed. (Pactor modem not required)

The Radio is important -- The best choice for fax reception is a stable, digital radio with the ability to tune and display frequencies with a resolution of less than one kilohertz....if the radio is made by Icom, chances are it's more than good enough. ...Many others..

U.S. weatherfax schedules and frequencies National Weather Service

Further instructions for JWX install and use:
  • WeatherReader and JWX
  • Built in software weatherfax demodulator receiver.
  • Have method for calibrating / adjusting computer clock synchronization and skewed images.
  • Makes JPEG images from Fax sounds.
  • Has unattended automated mode "Receive" which collects the weatherfaxes.
Old 08-02-2013, 13:54   #25

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I'm going to start work on this plugin. Don't bother starting work on this unless you want a competing plugin. I should have a git available in a few days.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 13:59   #26

Question: Use of JWX to download jpegs would not include Longitude, Latitude and Scale information would it? Is there a way to get that? Or would we need to add it to the Jpeg when automatically converting to a Kap? - Or perhaps have an interface like qtVlm which allows the user to establish the right Long, Lat and scale via an interative process.
Old 08-02-2013, 14:02   #27

boat alexandra
I was just trying to help and find some possible ways of accomplishing the goals. Please help us out with your programming!! That is great. You probably have better ideas about how to accomplish this than I do. I am checking with my friend about testing with his Icom.

Do you think you can build in a software demodulator reciever?
Old 08-02-2013, 14:09   #28

boat alexandra
Finally got smarter and went to your Yafax yahfax | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net
Yet Another HF Fax program! This program can send and receive SSB faxes (eg: weatherfax) by reading from an audio file or soundcard input. The output is an image. Based on hamfax, but runs much faster. Command line interface.
Old 08-02-2013, 14:27   #29

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Yes I plan both options of either sound file or image file input and eventually could support sound card directly if I can find a suitable library for audio capture.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 14:40   #30

That's great. "...eventually could support sound card directly if I can find a suitable library for audio capture." -- Is this also related to your question about wxWidgets support for sound?

Perhaps nohal or dave or others have a suggestion for how to include the sound library (for all linux, windows, etc) . I could look for one if you want.

Tags
paracelle