Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 04:01   #226

Re: Weather Routing

Hi,

It's very nice tool, I play with it a little bit and I found that start and end date are in different formats. Start date is in MM/DD/YYYY and end date I see in DD/MM/YYYY (which is default date format on my Windows settings).
Maybe it's good idea to set both to US format or to set it to Widows default (regional settings).

Kubek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather_Routing_Dates.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	61371  
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 04:03   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubek View Post
Hi,

It's very nice tool, I play with it a little bit and I found that start and end date are in different formats. Start date is in MM/DD/YYYY and end date I see in DD/MM/YYYY (which is default date format on my Windows settings).
Maybe it's good idea to set both to US format or to set it to Widows default (regional settings).

Kubek
Or take the settings O is using
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 13:35   #228

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I corrected to use system settings so both should be the same now.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 14:16   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I corrected to use system settings so both should be the same now.
Thanks a lot....

Kubek
Old 26-05-2013, 23:29   #230

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

It might be a god idea to be able to ad an area of "no go zones" in form of a square or circle where the are traffic separation zone or wind parks etc.

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29   #231

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean is looking for feedback for this plugin, particularly bugs or problems.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14   #232

Hi,

I played with climatology data and GRIB data and it works fine. Previously I found date different format for start and end of calculated trip on my regional seettings but "boat_alexandra" wrote that it is fixed now.

Kubek
Old 02-06-2013, 08:40   #233

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

The routing tool is a very nice, and well design tool.

I am getting pretty confident using the routing tool, i am using it for the major part of a trips now. The routing are accurate when the weather forecast is accurate.

I have seen when navigation in a small sound and i use max diverting course as large as 180 degrees i am be getting isocrones coming back toward the origin from the coasts etc. This is using power.

I hope that the table/graph part of the routing tool will get a little more user friendly. I would like to be able to have at table with the major parameters for the trip in order to discuss the course of the trip with my crew.

And then there are two more buttons in the panel which i am looking forward to.
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:29   #234

Quote:
And then there are two more buttons in the panel which i am looking forward to.
What are they please?

Also Has anyone been using Routes and Batch? If so, what is your experience and how do you get started using it? Also please advise if this is this under windows or Linux?

On my wish list is easier selection of destination by clicking or selecting a waypoint.
Also I'd very much like to see Grib plugin handle two grib files (one for Wind, etc) and another for current, and join them as if they are one file in the display panel. Then weather routing willl be able to use wind, pressure and current data easily.

I suppose Route is for setting up a fulll route. I have not yet figured out how to make it work. Any suggestions?

I really like this tool and hope others are going to try it and test it out.

Sean needs feedback. Thanks for your comments, too!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05   #235

Thanks Lars and Kubek for your testing! Here's a list.
A. Bugs - Guys, can we confirm that there are No bugs? [Windows][Linux]?
B. Features -
  1. Bounce back Isochrones at wide angles max diverting, occupy computer power. [Lars-Windows] [Rick-Windows]
  2. Hope that the table/graph part of the routing tool will get a little more user friendly. [Lars-Windows]
  3. Able to have at table with the major parameters for the trip in order to discuss the course of the trip with my crew.[Lars]
  4. Two more buttons in the panel which i am looking forward to.[Lars] Unclear what buttons, Lars?
  5. Easier selection of destination by clicking or selecting a waypoint.
  6. Grib plugin handle two grib files (one for Wind, etc) and another for current, and join them as if they are one file in the display panel. Then weather routing willl be able to use wind, pressure and current data easily.
  7. Route Command- I suppose Route is for setting up a fulll route or mulltiple routes. I have not yet figured out how to make it work. Any suggestions? (Haven't been able to make it work in Windows.)
  8. Batch Command- I think the Batch command processes a number of runs for when the leave etc. (Haven't been able to make it work in Windows.) Need to test in Linux too.
  9. Current leak outside of Max Div. (Feature or Bug?) Rather than cutting off in a straight line, the gulf current affects the cutoff line and isochrones are generated outside of that line. See previous example.[Rick]
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51   #236

Boat: pogo 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
B. Features -
  1. Grib plugin handle two grib files (one for Wind, etc) and another for current, and join them as if they are one file in the display panel. Then weather routing willl be able to use wind, pressure and current data easily.
Hello,

In first : Congratulations for your work

I'm testing in Manche (France) and I think is very important to mix wind and current with grib - exemple

At this moment there is a little difference with maxsea for crossing chanel but i think is a pb linked to current.

I don't understand the route button cause nothing's hapenned when I click everywhere.

It would also be boring to find a routing table with angles / wind (port side / starboard) as in qtvlm

Like TWS / TWD / TWA (red or green) / BS / HDG / SOG / Etc.....

Opencpn & Weather routing in windows version

Pogolyre
pogolyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:31   #237

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
B. Features -
  1. Bounce back Isochrones at wide angles max diverting, occupy computer power. [Lars-Windows] [Rick-Windows]
This is the last major bug which must be fixed I know of. I have fixed many cases already but somehow this problem persists. I must fix this soon, and it is relatively easy to reproduce (especially if currents is enabled) but relatively difficult to actually fix.

The overlapping isochrons could in theory be a feature in situations with very strong tidal currents which are at times faster than you can sail as you would possibly cross your own path in the ideal route. Imagine tacking back and forth going backwards so that when the tide changes you will make it to the destination sooner than if you were somewhere else.. Eliminating them would eliminate the ideal route. I'll worry about this special case later though, and it isn't really all that common, and only really for tidal streams, not ocean currents.

As for the rest of the stuff.. I have been out of internet access, my netbook didn't boot after upgrading ubuntu, and I did not have the solar power to run the laptop much. Anyway...

I am halfway through a major revision on the user interface. Many features added, and the batch and routes stuff all integrated in a way so you can hit a single button and compute many routes.. like generate all the routes for the whole world, or every month, or many boats.. or... (any combination possible) and can save and share the configurations with each other. So you could even compare the routes depending on how close to the wind you are willing to sail. Also will be able to make use of multi-core machines.

I tried the weather routing on the dual core laptop.. wow, it is very fast! I have been using a netbook which takes 26 seconds to load climatology, only 2 seconds on this laptop.. and the laptop is 6 years old.

I am leaving for the tropics in a week or so, and I will be completely gone for a long time, not sure how far along things will get before then, and I have no idea about internet access. Hopefully I can finish user interface upgrade and fix the overlapping isochron bug.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:39   #238

Quote:
The overlapping isochrons could in theory be a feature in situations with very strong tidal currents which are at times faster than you can sail as you would possibly cross your own path in the ideal route. Imagine tacking back and forth going backwards so that when the tide changes you will make it to the destination sooner than if you were somewhere else.. Eliminating them would eliminate the ideal route. I'll worry about this special case later though, and it isn't really all that common, and only really for tidal streams, not ocean currents.
- Very interesting point. I still have things to learn about isochrones, routiing and gribs.

Quote:
As for the rest of the stuff.. I have been out of internet access, my netbook didn't boot after upgrading ubuntu, and I did not have the solar power to run the laptop much. Anyway...
Sorry about the upgrade, hope you can get it going.

Quote:
I am halfway through a major revision on the user interface. Many features added, and the batch and routes stuff all integrated in a way so you can hit a single button and compute many routes.. like generate all the routes for the whole world, or every month, or many boats.. or... (any combination possible) and can save and share the configurations with each other. So you could even compare the routes depending on how close to the wind you are willing to sail. Also will be able to make use of multi-core machines.
Wow!

Quote:
I tried the weather routing on the dual core laptop.. wow, it is very fast! I have been using a netbook which takes 26 seconds to load climatology, only 2 seconds on this laptop.. and the laptop is 6 years old.

I am leaving for the tropics in a week or so, and I will be completely gone for a long time, not sure how far along things will get before then, and I have no idea about internet access. Hopefully I can finish user interface upgrade and fix the overlapping isochron bug.
Sean, When that time comes, we will miss your tremendous contributions, good humor with users, your talent and your persistence! I hope unsecured wifi follows you where ever you roam... check in now and then, please, and let us know how you're doing and where you are!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17   #239

New Wx-Rte git clone, build.
With Climatology and a currentt 8day grib up. Set up properly, the Wx-Rte "Start" consistently results in "Computation completed, destination not reached."

Guess this isn't ready. Let me know when you want it git cloned.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21   #240

In Linux, git fetch and pull, and then git cloned plugins (wx-fx, wx-route, climatology, watchman, rtlsdr, celestial) Then cmake and buillt.

Using Climatology (June, wind & currents) and Today's 8 day Grib (wind & waves, no current) with Wx-Route tried a route from Nassau to Newport RI. Was careful with settings. Synched time to the grib. Synched locaton of boat. Then defined destination carefully. Started the routing and got message immediately something like "Calc completed. Did not reach destination." - Was stumped, what did I do wrong. Tried relocating the boat, by hoover cursor, right click, locate boat here. Ran Wx-route again with "Start". I worked, creating isochrones!

Set the increment to 4 hours and its seems to be working very hard now. It is doing a better job of finding the shoreline, but wee don't quite need so much detail right now. Perhaps we should have a "Shoreline Sensitivity" setting (Rough - Fine?)
Also I think I set the divergence angle to big. Will upload some images in next window.

Tags
paracelle, weather