Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 03:38   #1

Boat: Norseman 447cc
Using oSENC charts on multiple devices

My understanding is that paid for oSENC encrypted charts from o-charts can be used on up to two devices simultaneously. However, I cannot seem to find in instructions anywhere for how to do this. I'd be running them on my laptop, which they are currently loaded on, and a tablet that would be in the cockpit. Can someone point me to directions on how to install them on the second device? Do I need a second s67 permit to do this?
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Using oSENC charts on multiple devices

S67? Do you mean S-63?

O-charts offers both oeSENC charts directly and s-63 licences to download ENC charts from other sources. These are two different things.

If you are getting oeSENC charts then S-63 licences don't come into it:

https://manuals.o-charts.org/oesenc_en_US.html

"...
If you are installing your chart in a secondary system or you have reinstalled your OS you have to choose New System. Once you have installed your chart on 2 different systems, the chart will not be available."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:40   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
My understanding is that paid for oSENC encrypted charts from o-charts can be used on up to two devices simultaneously. However, I cannot seem to find in instructions anywhere for how to do this. I'd be running them on my laptop, which they are currently loaded on, and a tablet that would be in the cockpit. Can someone point me to directions on how to install them on the second device? Do I need a second s67 permit to do this?
svspirited..
If you're talking about oeSENC chart license your "backup" slot can easily be used on another device. But since you're mention S67 permit it's confusing. You're mixing apples and pears. A S63 user permit has nothing to do with oeSENC chart license.
To use a oeSENC chart set on another PC you just open Options->Charts->oeSENC charts. "Refresh chart list" and log in using your user/password and select download for any chart set having the status "Available". Name the actual PC with proper "System name" and accept to assign this System name to the chart set. The similar procedure as for the PC where you already have the first set.
The manual is found on O-Charts.org Manual: https://manuals.o-charts.org/oesenc_en_US.html

Good luck
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:36   #4

I was wondering if is it possible to add a "second device" to an expired osenc chartset which I only used on one android tablet? I got a Raspberry which I am keen on testing as primary plotting and nmea comms platform.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:44   #5

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I was wondering if is it possible to add a "second device" to an expired osenc chartset which I only used on one android tablet? I got a Raspberry which I am keen on testing as primary plotting and nmea comms platform.
Isn't it 20 pounds for two licenses? Maybe time to get an updated one hmm? It isn't a huge expense, unless you have a lot of charts or something?

Guess you could email them and see if they allow transfers.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:56   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

oeSENC sets allow for two installs.

During the licensing period. Once expired one can't add any system as the chart sets requested for install are always the actual ones. There is no way to install some set from a year ago.

Charts will not disappear from a given system. While it stays the same. For example a re-install of an OS will most probably ruin the license. Updates not - some few W10 are different but we can deal with this cases.

The USB key dongle as a"virtual system" is a way to use chart sets after the expiry of the license period on new systems.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
oeSENC sets allow for two installs.

During the licensing period. Once expired one can't add any system as the chart sets requested for install are always the actual ones. There is no way to install some set from a year ago.

Charts will not disappear from a given system. While it stays the same. For example a re-install of an OS will most probably ruin the license. Updates not - some few W10 are different but we can deal with this cases.

The USB key dongle as a"virtual system" is a way to use chart sets after the expiry of the license period on new systems.
I understand the logic now, thanks!

Tags
charts, enc