Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57   #16

Boat: Gilbert Marine
Re: Search and Rescue

If someone could help with the work sheets (IAMSAR Vol 2, appendix K and Q), I try to program the calculations.
Andres_RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 14:03   #17

Boat: Helia 44

Hi Andres,

Could you explain a little bit more about IAMSAR requirements? In doing my research for the OCPN route plugin, found that most distance calculators on the web will give a different answer. Are you regression testing? Paul Kohut has set up a nice geoformulas library, with regression testing. check it out here: WGS84 Ellipsoid Calculations « Wired2Code
SaltyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPaws View Post
Hi Andres,

Could you explain a little bit more about IAMSAR requirements? In doing my research for the OCPN route plugin, found that most distance calculators on the web will give a different answer. Are you regression testing? Paul Kohut has set up a nice geoformulas library, with regression testing. check it out here: WGS84 Ellipsoid Calculations « Wired2Code
Hi SaltyPaws,

for a SAR pattern, is not important the sailing model: mid-latitude, rhumb line/loxodromic, great circle/orthodormic, or geodesic. Why? because the distances are very small and all algorithms give the same solution.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:58   #19

A new release of ChartWork - SAR Search Patterns is available at my webpage.
Including english, french, spanish and basque. If someone wish to collaborate in other language, please tell me.

It have been developed with the collaboration of Jean Paul (latchodrom), a SAR crew member of Corsica, France. He has tested the soft for IAMSAR requirements and advised me in it practical application. Also has made the pics, the translation to some languajes, and now he is making a tutorial.
best regards.
Old 21-09-2012, 22:04   #20

I am a member of the Whitsunday Water Police in Qld Australia and am heavily involved in Search and Rescue. I have been following this development with interest and have started using the program for our search and rescue operations.

I would love to see it develop further. One issue I have is the open GPX output button takes me to a folder that does not in fact contain the generated GPX files.

Is there a way to specify what directory this button takes you to. I would love for it to take you to a sub directory in the SAR Patterns folder so it can be used stand alone.

I would also be pleased to assist with the development of this program where possible. I am not much of a programmer but do have access to a lot of SAR information that may assist.

Regards.
LATHJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 08:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATHJOHN View Post
I am a member of the Whitsunday Water Police in Qld Australia and am heavily involved in Search and Rescue. I have been following this development with interest and have started using the program for our search and rescue operations.
Hello John. Please, inform us about the real world of S&R with this little program. (A friend of mine was sailing in the islands)

Quote:
I would love to see it develop further. One issue I have is the open GPX output button takes me to a folder that does not in fact contain the generated GPX files.

Is there a way to specify what directory this button takes you to. I would love for it to take you to a sub directory in the SAR Patterns folder so it can be used stand alone.
GPX files are generated in the program´s directory.
By default the one of the main package.
I try to do this user-configurable.

Quote:
I would also be pleased to assist with the development of this program where possible. I am not much of a programmer but do have access to a lot of SAR information that may assist.
Regards.
Welcome aboard!
Old 25-12-2013, 10:26   #22

Boat: Moody 425 sloop

This work looks great. Does the SAR plugin generate a search patter that could be activated as a route and fed to the autopilot? This would certainly solve the drift problem....
Matt
Helmsmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 12:22   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Or would it really "solve the drift" problem?
Without knowing SAR routines and procedures....
choices are to estimate drift and current or to determine it by some method that takes time or to not consider it which renders the search less effective.
What does sar require / suggest?

1. Different conditions ie going upwind, downwind, on a reach when someone is lost overboard. when it is discovered 1min, 3min 5min 10min...1hr later... how do you really know? What personnal locater devices are available. ?
What is most effective search for each?

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 12:29   #24

Boat: Moody 425 sloop

All good questions..... I guess I'm trying to find out if the pattern generated by the SAR plugin can control the autopilot, so a short handed crew left on the boat in the incidence of the other crew falling overboard, can be studying the sea, using binoculars and otherwise searching, while OpenCPN and the plugin take care of moving the boat....
My PC now can follow routes generated by OCPN with only confirmation required at a waypoint to change course to the next waypoint on the route.
Merry Christmas,
Matt
Helmsmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 14:31   #25

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes autopilot would help. I would like a little more help than having to pick from several patterns. Given the conditions, including set and drift and estimated duration of mob, there must be zigzag conical or triangular pattern that will optimize the first or recent opportunity for quicker recovery. It might even be possible to toss something overboard mob dummy take gps position and start the best search then recover fake mob in process and determine set and drift better then adjust search pattern. I think quick alert for mob is best with own boat recovering thus an Ais personal locator with salt and gps is the best way to go. Gives a target to drive to recover, but not all have this, so this plugin can be a great help. We need a few more tools to do the job I think to enable own boat recovery of mob.

rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, rescue