Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 04:38   #1

Boat: Cata 42'
Raspberry Pi 2

Hello
I recently received my Pi 2 and I started my project to run OpenCPN and connect my Simrad Simnet network.
Plan is
  • Simnet --> NMEA 183 output --> Shipmodul miniplex 2E (Ethernet)--> Alpha router
  • Rasperry Pi 2 --> Alpha router (Ethernet)
  • Alpha router (nmea 183 data) --> Rasperry Pi 2 (OpenCPN)

I followed A. Gurney procedure that I discovered on Gunnar1 thread about OpenGL on RPI 2.

Problems encountered:
Everything (almost) went fine until I tried to add complementary commands (for vector maps) to my config.txt file. I cannot save modified file. I tried to get access to "su" but I get e constant identification failure. I pretty sure about the password I entered (initialisation of PI 2) but it is not recognized; I also tried initial "raspberry" password to no avail.
Any idea ?
Nevertheless, I installed OpenCPN desktop icon and tried launching. I get the initial warning window (navigation) then a glimpse of OpenCPN screen and immediate shut down without any message.
I'll appreciate any help

Patrice
Malapoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 14:54   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Raspberry Pi 2

Patrice.....
I've have RPi2 running fine with OCPN although without OpenGL.
What I did:
>I loaded RPi with debian and Raspbian out of the book from Raspberry Pi
>I built OCPN as of: Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage following advices for "Debian/Ubuntu/Mint etc."
> I changed in config.txt like this:
Code:
$ sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Add: 
framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1
after other rows containing #framebuffer...
Save Ctrl+O
Exit Ctrl+X
Started OCPN by the new shortcut in Meny-Education-
Added some charts.
OCPN now starts fine and can run OpenGL but that's not usable since it to slow to even read NMEA messages.
But without OpenGL OCPN is fully useable.

Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 00:40   #3

Hi Hakan

Thanks for advice, I'll follow your procedure. The one stage I'am afraid of is compiling.

Some works ahead.

Patrice
Old 16-03-2015, 01:43   #4

Patrice...
I see your worries if you haven't tested that before. I'm from the Windows world and rather new to Linux so I was surprised how "simple" the Linux world is in this respect.
Linux seems to be made for straight forward compiling.
Follow all instructions on my link to Opencpn.org above. Copy/Past all, sometimes very long, commands to avoid typos.
(To paste it in the command window type: Shift+insert instead of Ctrl+V, or right mouse button)
But I could serve you a ready OpenCPN......deb package if you not like to give it a try. But you can't destroy anything. Whatever you do in this system set up, e.g. nothing else yet installed, can be undone by hold the shift key during next reboot and reinitialize the system. As simple as that! I've tried that shift key a couple of times.
Håkan
Old 16-03-2015, 02:11   #5

Thanks for your support

I'll try by myself and indeed I cannot do a lot of damages as my RPI 2 should be dedicated to OpenCPN only.

Patrice
Old 16-03-2015, 05:48   #6

Patrice...
Very good, please do. It's actually rather fun.

But since we discussed it I coulden't resist make me a package to test the function.
So if you may like to try that it can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....0-1_armhf.deb
(You may be asked to install some internationalism(tools for translations) dependencies; wx2.8-il8n. It can be found here: https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/a...-i18n/download. )

This OCPN package is my own version of OCPN with some extra plugins, don't activate if you don't want to use them, and a minor adaption to my Simrad IS15 instruments. Won't bother you.

I think you know how to install packages but; In the directory where you saved the file do: sudo dpkg -i "Package file name.deb" to install

Håkan
Old 16-03-2015, 11:43   #7

Hi again

As I'am a lazy guy, I will probably go your way and test your package.

I will reformat my microSD and start from scratch.
Feed back in a few days.

Patrice
Old 18-03-2015, 02:59   #8

Hi Hakan

I did it !
I loaded various dependencies, append necessary lines to config.txt, update/upgrade.
I loaded your OPenCPN .deb file and install it. It was my first install on a Linux system.
Your guidelines were clear enough for a Linux beginner as I am ! Thanks

I'am currently loading my charts portfolios to finalize install.

I will only be able to complete my boat set up in April when I will connect Simnet nmea 183 output to Shipmodul miniplex 2E and to Alpha Networks router (on which RPI 2 will also be connected).

One question regarding storage and reliability. everything is on my microSD 32GB class 10. Is it reliable enough ? Or should I consider moving OpenCPN and Charts to a USB storage (SSD ou key) ?

Patrice
Old 18-03-2015, 14:18   #9

Patrice..
Very good, congratulations!

About reliability.... I've no experiences of the life time for a SD card but all electronics in a boot has a dangerous life. My preparations are that every such gadget can stop any minute. So for example my navigation PC I've two identical and I keep them mirrored.
If I was dependent of a RPi or a SD card for my navigation I should have had two of each, and all charts safely stored at a couple of more places like USB sticks in plastic bags.
Håkan
Old 19-03-2015, 02:45   #10

Yes redundancy is key

As far as I am concerned, RPI+OpenCPN is more for fun and interest for this small and inexpensive PC. This is my spare N°... after Simrad NSE 12, 2 laptops (OpenCPN) and Ipad InavX. "Quand on aime, on ne compte pas" as we say in french !
But it may become a regular tool considering power consumption and hopefully reliability.

@ Hakan: Would you mind if I post (RPI and OpenCPN) on a french forum, based on your input and with an option to download your compiled OpenCPN version (free of course, with mention of your source and on a specific server -not your dropbox) ?

Patrice
Old 19-03-2015, 02:57   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Once the sd card is working, I would back up the image using dd, and possibly compress with gzip and put it on an external drive or usb stick. Always carry extra sd cards.. but for me this goes for all types of storage including usb keys and external harddrives all of which sometimes randomly stop working.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 03:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapoa View Post
@ Hakan: Would you mind if I post (RPI and OpenCPN) on a french forum, based on your input and with an option to download your compiled OpenCPN version (free of course, with mention of your source and on a specific server -not your dropbox) ?
Patrice
Patrice...
No problem but be aware of that the OCPN version is the Alpha code 4.1 so if stable or not in all aspects is untested. And also is the inbound Dashboard plugin slightly changed to fit my dated instruments. (Simrad IS15 and Garmin GPS 120)
The Dropbox file is public and I may update it whenever new versions are available. (Or take it away)

Håkan
Old 19-03-2015, 03:59   #13

Ok, thanks

Duly noted about alpha code for 4.1 version; I will then tackle compiling myself !!

As for securing storage, I will try to create an image of my microSD and create a mirror spare microSD.

"dd" is a Rasbian command/soft or a Windows one ?

Patrice
Old 19-03-2015, 04:30   #14
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

"dd" is a Linux command line tool.

for example dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda will fill your complete disk sda with zeros...
Without asking any more questions.

So read the man pages carefully before using it
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 05:00   #15

Ok, I will carefully consult my documentation before doing something silly